Kent Austin to be named OC

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebeloke
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

jrhawki wrote:BRAVO...Haven't been this excited since I went to my 1st Rebel game in a driving rain back in the day when Jake Gibbs was under center. Hope Nutt allows him to take the REBELS to that same level that was there when Gibbs played...This excellent hire could be our replacement for Nutt down the road.....Hotty Toddy
That is what surprised me about the hire... it shows Houston has some balls!
RiderNation
Water Boy
Water Boy

The Rebels gain is definitely our loss, Austin's decision comes despite a strong effort by Tillman to keep Austin in Regina. Sources said Tillman was working on a contract extension for Austin that would have made him one of the CFL's highest-paid head coaches.

"For everyone who bleeds green and white, this is a painful day, personally and professionally," said Tillman. "Not only is Kent an outstanding coach, he's an equally good human being.

All the best to Coach Austin and his family. Congratulations to the Rebels Coach Nutt, you have signed a great coach and a class act.
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

RiderNation wrote:The Rebels gain is definitely our loss, Austin's decision comes despite a strong effort by Tillman to keep Austin in Regina. Sources said Tillman was working on a contract extension for Austin that would have made him one of the CFL's highest-paid head coaches.

"For everyone who bleeds green and white, this is a painful day, personally and professionally," said Tillman. "Not only is Kent an outstanding coach, he's an equally good human being.

All the best to Coach Austin and his family. Congratulations to the Rebels Coach Nutt, you have signed a great coach and a class act.
I am very glad to hear that Coach Austin is a great coach AND a great guy. Believe me, in this day and age it is VERY important. We were also hoping to get a little inside info into his coaching tendencies, strengths and weaknesses. Can you give us any details in this area?
L. S. WHO?
ekmjr1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I like this hire as well. Once, we get an Ole Miss guy back home and if he's as good a coach as they seem to think he is in Canada, he might be an excellent Alum to groom for taking over down the road when Nutt retires. Of course we should have a dozen SEC titles by that time as well! :D

I remember Kent from school and he was a down to earth type guy that kinda flew under the radar. Most younger OM fans may not remember him, but the guy could flat throw the ball accurately. I haven't checked recently, but at one time, he held several passing titles for completion percentages. Again, I'm glad he's coming home and hope it works out well for him and our prgram!
jrhawki
Scout Team
Scout Team

rebeloke wrote:

Do we know this was a Nutt hire or an Ole Miss hire???
done

jrhawki wrote:rebeloke wrote:

Do we know this was a Nutt hire or an Ole Miss hire???
I would bet that every hire is Coach Nutt's hire, and he has put together a top notch staff.

Kudos to the admin for stepping up to the plate and giving him the resources to get a great staff of folks who are not novices at what they are doing.
redfromcanada
Water Boy
Water Boy

Just to give you a bit of background, I used to cover the CFL professionally when Austin played here and got to speak with him on numerous occasions. He is someone who is strong willed but intelligent so all those who think that he'll be a yes-man for Houston Nutt, think again. His career as an OC and QB coach up here showed that he has ideas and isn't afraid to incorporate them even to his downfall. As the OC in Toronto, he likely got canned due to his unwillingness to yield to higher up's wishes to change his offense. In fact, he was much criticized for not running the ball enough in Toronto and having a too predictable an offense. That changed somewhat last year in Saskatchewan but with a QB that he successfully helped convert from a NFL safety to an eventual Most Outstanding Player in the CFL.

This is a very interesting hire given that Nutt really seems to like to run the ball, while Austin likes to throw it much more. And yes, Ole Miss will likely run a spread type offense that will require a running back that can do a bit more than run. I can't see Austin backing down on his principles much so I think that either Nutt will have to change or Austin could end up leaving.

Finally, more than anything, Austin really knows how to tutor QB's. He coached two Most Outstanding Pleyers up here (Kerry Joseph from last year and Marcus Allen's brother Damon in 2004). You likely won't get much better than Austin to tutor Jevan Snead.
rebeloke
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

redfromcanada wrote:Just to give you a bit of background, I used to cover the CFL professionally when Austin played here and got to speak with him on numerous occasions. He is someone who is strong willed but intelligent so all those who think that he'll be a yes-man for Houston Nutt, think again. His career as an OC and QB coach up here showed that he has ideas and isn't afraid to incorporate them even to his downfall. As the OC in Toronto, he likely got canned due to his unwillingness to yield to higher up's wishes to change his offense. In fact, he was much criticized for not running the ball enough in Toronto and having a too predictable an offense. That changed somewhat last year in Saskatchewan but with a QB that he successfully helped convert from a NFL safety to an eventual Most Outstanding Player in the CFL.

This is a very interesting hire given that Nutt really seems to like to run the ball, while Austin likes to throw it much more. And yes, Ole Miss will likely run a spread type offense that will require a running back that can do a bit more than run. I can't see Austin backing down on his principles much so I think that either Nutt will have to change or Austin could end up leaving.

Finally, more than anything, Austin really knows how to tutor QB's. He coached two Most Outstanding Pleyers up here (Kerry Joseph from last year and Marcus Allen's brother Damon in 2004). You likely won't get much better than Austin to tutor Jevan Snead.
Wow thanks for the post.
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

redfromcanada wrote:Just to give you a bit of background, I used to cover the CFL professionally when Austin played here and got to speak with him on numerous occasions. He is someone who is strong willed but intelligent so all those who think that he'll be a yes-man for Houston Nutt, think again. His career as an OC and QB coach up here showed that he has ideas and isn't afraid to incorporate them even to his downfall. As the OC in Toronto, he likely got canned due to his unwillingness to yield to higher up's wishes to change his offense. In fact, he was much criticized for not running the ball enough in Toronto and having a too predictable an offense. That changed somewhat last year in Saskatchewan but with a QB that he successfully helped convert from a NFL safety to an eventual Most Outstanding Player in the CFL.

Great info. Thanks for posting it.
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

This info puts an interesting spin on the seasdon, huh? Who has the most hard head, the the most stubborn will, the most dominating unwillingness to budge?
May the best man win! 8O
03rebs

Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum.
Forward Rebels!
RebinGA
Water Boy
Water Boy

jrhawki wrote:BRAVO...This excellent hire could be our replacement for Nutt down the road.....Hotty Toddy
DITTO - my thoughts exactly. What better story that to have one of our own help us win an SEC championship.
BART: I'll tell you a story so scary, you will wet your pants.
Grandpa: Too Late.
done

Hagar wrote:
03rebs wrote:It had to have been a joke. Hagar leave football for soccer? Not in my lifetime. :lol:
I still might...Soccer and spread offenses are for sissies.
Don't forget Hagar, crying is for sissies too....it must be true because the sensitive, wise, progressive professor from the West Coast told us so 8)
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

Rebchuck18 wrote:
Hagar wrote:
03rebs wrote:It had to have been a joke. Hagar leave football for soccer? Not in my lifetime. :lol:
I still might...Soccer and spread offenses are for sissies.
Don't forget Hagar, crying is for sissies too....it must be true because the sensitive, wise, progressive professor from the West Coast told us so 8)
Behold, then it must be truth. For our west coast brethren isn't known to prevaricate.

Using emoticons also is for sissies as well as soccer and spread offense fans.
With that said here are a few I would like to present as a bouquet!
:shock: :shock: :eek2: :color: :color: :mad2: :wow: :milk: :crazy: :crazy: :po: :po: :poed: :light: :blackey: :blackey:
Later,
Hagar
done

Hagar wrote:
Behold, then it must be truth. For our west coast brethren isn't known to prevaricate.

Using emoticons also is for sissies as well as soccer and spread offense fans.
With that said here are a few I would like to present as a bouquet!
:shock: :shock: :eek2: :color: :color: :mad2: :wow: :milk: :crazy: :crazy: :po: :po: :poed: :light: :blackey: :blackey:
That is so beautiful! Think I'm gonna cry 8)