Thursday's Practice

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

ekmjr1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

My son and I got a chance to go down to the IPF today and watch some of the practice. I must say that I was really imrpessed. It was nothing like the practices in there that I attended the previous 3 years. There was no screaming, cursing, etc, and no black cloud hanging around. The players were all up and very spirited, with lots of enthusiasm. It really seemed like a different place from the past few years.

The QB Stanley is going to be something else, as this guy can thread a needle with plenty of zip. He's everything I have been reading about the last few days. The kid is tall, strong and has a great arm. We not only have a QB this year, we have depth at that position. Even Tapp looked pretty good and threw a deep TD pass. Sneed threw some great passes, but threw some bad ones as well, but overall, he looked pretty good to me.

The DBs looked surprisingly good to me. Marshay green had an interception during one on one drills and was all over the receivers. This kid might be a differnce maker once he gets some experience at the position. There was lots of hitting going on and it was all very enthusiastic and high sprited. I'm more pumped than ever now, but will keep myself reserved until we are on the field with another team.

There was a freshman reciever who's name escapes me now, but he looked really good and was talking smack with Marshay Green, and on the very next play, Marshay made the INT. The FR receiver was tall and quick with good hands and he seemed to be a hitter.

I got a chance to see Powe in action as well. Unfortunately, he didn't do anything special, nor did he stand out in any way to me. He doesn't look nearly as big as the numbers I've been hearing, so he's obiously lost some weight. I think it's going to take him a while to get his football legs back under him again.

All in all, I think we have a lot of good things to look forward to this year. Even if we don't win more than 5 or 6 games, I believe that we will be competetive and we'll probably win a game or two we shouldn't. It was really a breathe of fresh air in there today and we should all be glad and pround of our new head coach. I don't ever remember the players being so excited to be practicing and playing together. They were constantly talking to one another after plays and high fiving, slapping and congratulating one another after each play. They all looked excited to be there and ready to play to me. :D
MtownRebel
3rd String
3rd String

Is your son four weeks old?
RebelFIL
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

The freshman receiver was likely Harris (former WVU signee and Hargrave alum). Marshay may flourish at CB. Don't forget, probably the best corner to come out of Ole Miss was 'superman' Ken Lucas; a converted WR.

Powe is not massive in person. He stands about 6'1" despite what you may read. When standing next to Jerry, Tillman, Hardy, and especially 6'8" Parnell, he is not going to look as massive as his legend says he is. Nonetheless, he can be plenty disruptive once he finds his groove.
badmotorfinger
All American
All American

Thanks for the post. That 's all good to hear.
Rule #1.......Don't panik
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

MtownRebel wrote:Is your son four weeks old?
I saw that on another board. Who takes their 4 week son to a practice-IN AUGUST???

Thanks for the report and yep the FR. WR was more than likely Andrew Harris. He's been having a great fall from all reports.

Any word of the RB's?
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Thanks for the report.

I've always thought teams play better when they're having fun. So its good to hear about the camaraderie. Last year our sideline was more like a dirge looking for a funeral.
USCrebel
2nd String
2nd String

Well played.
It's not insane to suggest that the Rebels have the best defensive line in college football.
----- Foxsports power ranking OM at #14
BigTrev34
All SEC
All SEC

Its gotta be Andrew Harris. Hes the only tall wr we have
RebelFIL
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Melvin Harris is taller (6'7"ish), but supposedly Andrew is the Harris who is showing out in practice.
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Also, Melvin Harris, the 6'7 WR, broke his foot this summer, so he may not be at full speed yet. Maybe a redshirt is in his future.
ekmjr1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Not sure if this is a legit question or not? However, no, my son is not 4 weeks old. LOL He's 13, but looks 16 or 17 really. He's a big kid and like his dad, he loves football.

Not much happening with the RBs, although there were a few running plays. I can say Dex was all over the place, both catching passes and running the ball. The dude is quick as a cat. There's not much of him though, so it's easy to see how he could get lost behind a good offensive line, and with his speed, he could slip through a hole and be gone in a moment. The Wild Rebel might be very exciting if he stays healthy.