What makes up a championship team?

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

RebelFIL
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

I'm looking for some intelligent brainstorming here. What factors do you think make up a championship-caliber team (national, conference, whatever)?

Some of the possibilities are number of returning starters, number of seniors, average recruiting over a number of years, home schedule, etc.

Please post some of your thoughts.
dgmcdowe
2nd String
2nd String

defense,a good home crowd, a little luck
cajunrebel

depth, talent, coaching, favorable home schedule, luck, health and more depth
"I'm a solid verbal."

- Prospect name here
BigTrev34
All SEC
All SEC

play in the sec
felicianareb
2nd String
2nd String

Right now it takes the ability to Time-Travel... :scatter:
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Talent, depth, coaching and luck or breaks going your way. You can have talent, depth and the coaching but one has to have some breaks go their way.

LSU won it last year with 2 losses, that never happens, one of the losses was to Kentucky and the other to Arkansas, 2 SEC teams. It's hard to win a division with 2 losses. Auburn didn't even get a shot one year and they went 13-0.

You have to be good BUT you have to catch some breaks also.
RebelFIL
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Sadly, Auburn was beat out by 2 other undefeated teams; Texas and USC. Auburn didn't get screwed, but they quite possibly were the best team in the country.

Fun Fact: that 2004 Auburn team is the only SEC team to go undefeated in the regular season without being crowned National Champion (please correct me if I'm wrong on this).
maroby001
Scout Team
Scout Team

Redbluedude wrote:Talent, depth, coaching and luck or breaks going your way. You can have talent, depth and the coaching but one has to have some breaks go their way.

LSU won it last year with 2 losses, that never happens, one of the losses was to Kentucky and the other to Arkansas, 2 SEC teams. It's hard to win a division with 2 losses. Auburn didn't even get a shot one year and they went 13-0.

You know I'll agree with you here but one thing i have noticed that no one else has seemed to poing out is Team Work. You got to be able to play well together and have the chemistry when you go out there to play.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while, and you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.”
ekmjr1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

maroby001 wrote:
Redbluedude wrote:Talent, depth, coaching and luck or breaks going your way. You can have talent, depth and the coaching but one has to have some breaks go their way.

You know I'll agree with you here but one thing i have noticed that no one else has seemed to poing out is Team Work. You got to be able to play well together and have the chemistry when you go out there to play.
I agree, some teams just gel for some reason, very much like Eli's Sr. year. After that Florda win, the team just came together and they thought they could beat anyone and almost did beat everyone. LSU nipped us, but I still blame an un-named coach for being too conservative and kicking all those field goals. One TD on any of those FGs would have won that game for us. Some teams just come together like that, and when they do, they are fun to watch.
------------------

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Jimbo
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

I agree with all the elements mentioned, but I remember when the Houston Rockets were down and almost out and coach Rudy Tomjonavich led his team to the Championship of the NBA. He put it all together when he said, "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE HEART OF A CHAMPION". I hope this year and for years to come, Ole Miss has HEART.
RUE
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Frame of mind/faith comes into play, but teamwork is a big part of it. My son was on some national championship Crew (rowing) teams at the Naval Academy. Crew is the "ultimate" team sport. The winners are the ones who perform as one organism. When I hear our guys talk about "one heartbeat" I think about my son's days at Annapolis.
USCrebel
2nd String
2nd String

rebelliousb wrote:Frame of mind/faith comes into play, but teamwork is a big part of it. My son was on some national championship Crew (rowing) teams at the Naval Academy. Crew is the "ultimate" team sport. The winners are the ones who perform as one organism. When I hear our guys talk about "one heartbeat" I think about my son's days at Annapolis.
BTW, B....

How's the boy doing since coming back from Iraq?
It's not insane to suggest that the Rebels have the best defensive line in college football.
----- Foxsports power ranking OM at #14
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

USCrebel wrote:
rebelliousb wrote:Frame of mind/faith comes into play, but teamwork is a big part of it. My son was on some national championship Crew (rowing) teams at the Naval Academy. Crew is the "ultimate" team sport. The winners are the ones who perform as one organism. When I hear our guys talk about "one heartbeat" I think about my son's days at Annapolis.
BTW, B....

How's the boy doing since coming back from Iraq?
Great He's in Broken Arrow, OK..commanding an anti-tank group (reserves) for 2 years or so and makes "Major" Sept 1. Every group that deploys to Iraq or AFG takes about 22 of his men.