My first OM game of the year!

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

parrotreb wrote:
Hagar wrote:
parrotreb wrote:I agree on most things but will vehemently disagree on Sanford being able to play pass defense. He is playing well above his talent on heart and knowing football but the speed and quickness just isn't there. Great run support but I don't see the pass defense. If he wasn't the leader he is, I tink he would be watching Johnny Brown.

MIchael Oher is one of the most overrated players I have ever seen.
reread my post... I said Jamarca was our ONLY pass defense. The rest need to be boiled in oil or sacrificed at dawn.
Reread mine, I disagree.

Edited to add: Maybe, just maybe, he covered someone in the South Carolina game. It would be the first where he consistently did that this year.
Sanford can't cover. If he leads in tackles, it's because he's usually somewhere within 10 yards of the reception, but never closer than 5.
Chucky_38
All American
All American

RebelFIL wrote:Did any of you actually watch the game?

You are all correct about the crowd, quite poor. We should be loud on every 3rd down, not just the important ones. Most of our fans don't even understand that we are good. They see rankings and W-L only. Remember, we haven't been ranked since the 2003 season and we sure haven't had too many wins since then.

Offensively, we surpassed SC's defensive averages by halftime.

Jevan was quite good today. He had excellent stats. The fumble was bad, but the interception was more of a situation/play calling issue.

Our O-line is a whole lot more porous than I would like, but we have matched up against some of the best d-lines in the country. Today's might have been the best; if not then florida's, but look also at what Vandy's line and blitzing is doing to everyone.

Our secondary played fine, other than the sets against the bubble screens, but only one of those broke for a long gain.

The reason our secondary looked abused was due to the lack of a consistent rush on the QB (Smelley). We got to him a few times, but he mostly had all day. The SC receivers would only have to be average to get open after all of the time Smelley had. Further, McKinley made some spectacular grabs (he has been injured of late). I really can't believe we couldn't get more pressure. I thought their QBs would get murdered. It is either 'hat's off' to whomever worked with the SC O-line this week, or a problem with our front 7.

We did do very well against the run (2.2 yd avg.), although I thought we would have done better based on SC's O-line performance this year.

These 2 teams were entirely too evenly matched for us to give them a TD on that Snead fumble and to lose the ball again while going in for a score. You must have seen that they didn't give us any of those favors, right?

This is a good, good team with an addiction to mistakes. Remember, last week Urban Meyer berated his team's mistake problems. WE HAD MORE MISTAKES IN THAT GAME THAN FLORIDA. We have had a high number of mistakes in each game this season. I hope we solve some of this in the bye week. We can beat Alabama.
I understand and respect what you are saying. But this program has drained all life and spirit from me. I am so tired of paying for season tickets, driving 2 hours from West Point to Oxford, buying new car flags and hats and shirts every year, coming to the game and screaming my lungs out for 3 hours and then watching the visitors celebrate in our stadium as I walk out after yet another loss. I am tired. Its one thing to listen to Bama or LSU or Auburn taunt you but to get beat by Vandy and South Carolina? At home? The fact is...stats mean nothing. Nothing. Wins and losses are all that matters. Teams that win play for championships. Teams that lose rattle off statistics. I've been doing that crap for 5 years now. I will be getting drunk before every home game from this point foward since I am now convinced that is the only way to enjoy Ole Miss football. And after this season I won't be purchasing season tickets until this program can win 7 or 8 games on a consistent basis. You can't lose at home to teams that you are even with.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

RebelFIL wrote:Did any of you actually watch the game?

You are all correct about the crowd, quite poor. We should be loud on every 3rd down, not just the important ones. Most of our fans don't even understand that we are good. They see rankings and W-L only. Remember, we haven't been ranked since the 2003 season and we sure haven't had too many wins since then.

Offensively, we surpassed SC's defensive averages by halftime.

Jevan was quite good today. He had excellent stats. The fumble was bad, but the interception was more of a situation/play calling issue.

Our O-line is a whole lot more porous than I would like, but we have matched up against some of the best d-lines in the country. Today's might have been the best; if not then florida's, but look also at what Vandy's line and blitzing is doing to everyone.

Our secondary played fine, other than the sets against the bubble screens, but only one of those broke for a long gain.

The reason our secondary looked abused was due to the lack of a consistent rush on the QB (Smelley). We got to him a few times, but he mostly had all day. The SC receivers would only have to be average to get open after all of the time Smelley had. Further, McKinley made some spectacular grabs (he has been injured of late). I really can't believe we couldn't get more pressure. I thought their QBs would get murdered. It is either 'hat's off' to whomever worked with the SC O-line this week, or a problem with our front 7.

We did do very well against the run (2.2 yd avg.), although I thought we would have done better based on SC's O-line performance this year.

These 2 teams were entirely too evenly matched for us to give them a TD on that Snead fumble and to lose the ball again while going in for a score. You must have seen that they didn't give us any of those favors, right?

This is a good, good team with an addiction to mistakes. Remember, last week Urban Meyer berated his team's mistake problems. WE HAD MORE MISTAKES IN THAT GAME THAN FLORIDA. We have had a high number of mistakes in each game this season. I hope we solve some of this in the bye week. We can beat Alabama.
Yes I did watch the game, and you have just reiterated everything I have been trying to say. I guess I just don't do a very good job getting the point across.

We must realize at this point we are SC, Kentucky, and maybe now Auburn :lol: . Which is not necessarily a bad thing, it means we have a chance to win every game this year. Last year we were this year’s Arkansas and maybe State, we hoped we wouldn't be blown out each game and had to sit on the edge of our seat just to beat a DIV II team.

Vandy has caught lightning in a bottle; they have pulled an Ole Miss! I don't want that any more, I want sustainable winning years. If it takes two years of 6-6 and 7-5 to get to 9-3 and better every year, guess what I am OK with that.

This team is still learning THEY WILL become more consistent; we just have to be patient during the process. That is if we truly believe that we are finally on the right path, if not it is going to be a long season. Everyone might as well break out the hard stuff now, because you are probably going to need it.
Randy
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter
Location: Got a Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart.

Vandy has caught lightning in a bottle; they have pulled an Ole Miss!
A once in 40 year thing indeed.
You've just got to learn from the wrong things you've done. I came off the rebound, started looking around, figured out it's time to have a little fun.
ekmjr1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I'd like to comment on a couple of items. First though, I think we are much improved and that people were once again, over zealous at the start of the year. It's been that way every year for the past 4 years. Get real and understand where we have been and where we are coming from, then pick a realistic number of possible wins and losses. I just don't understand why some people go watch us practice a few times in the preseason and then try and say we are going to win 9, 8 or even 7 games this year. It's just not realistic.

In regards to the crowd. While it was not a sell out, it was a nice crowd for a 1:00 PM game in the current economy. We need to start every game at 6:00 PM unless we change it specifically for TV. A 1:00 PM start does not give people time to get to the games. I got up at 4:00 AM EST in order to get back to Oxford in time for the game and I didn't get there until mid way of the first quarter. Unfortunately, I was out of town on business all week, and I went out of my way to get back. Not everyone has the luxury of flying either.

More on the crowd. They were very loud and very into the game the first half. People were going nutts, pardon the pun, when 3rd downs would come around and I actually commented as to how good the crowd was during the first half. Unfortunately, the second half was a differnet game and once USC figured out they could throw at will, it was all over. I was an emotional wreck myself and I didn't feel like making myself sick screaming and hollering for a team that was going at it half heartedly, which is what happened after Dex's fumble. The team gave up and the crowd did as well.

It was deja-vu all over again and you could feel it in the air at the stadium. It was as if the air was let out and everyone knew what was about to happen to us all over again. You could see the change in the team immediately. When you have a D-line that holds a team in the red zone, and they start at the 5, then end up with 3rd and 20 at the 20, you expect a field goal at best, not a TD on a pass over the middle at the back of the end zone, particularly when the D is playing a prevent. That TD was inexcusable and the D line just melted after that. That was a major turning point in the momentum.

USC is not a bad team and their Defense was one of the higher ranked defenses in the SEC. We scored plenty of points on them and should have scored more. On the other hand, their offense is one of the worst, and they passed on us like they were playing Water Valley high school. We have no defensive backs at all. We haven't had a decent group of DBs in 20 years. It doesn't matter who our coach is, we always get lit up, even by mediocre passing teams.

Our DBs don't even know the ball's coming most of the time. All day long I was screaming for them to turn around while the receiver just turns around and grabs the pass. Our DBs are so busy trying to catch up that they can't or won't even turn their head. It's pitifully obvious that we are lacking greatly in that area. Had Tebow not been off so bad in the Florida game, we would have lost that game as well. How many times were the FL recievers wide open and Tebow just missed them? At least twice in that final drive we were beat if TT could have just hit the wide open reciever.

We just aren't that good. We are an average SEC team that doesn't know how to win, so that makes us a bad SEC team. When we learn to win and quit making so many mistakes, we'll win more of the close games like we had with Vandy and USC. Until then, it's going to be more of the same. Look for more teams to start passing on us, because we have a good D-line, and we have NO DBs that are worthy to play in the SEC. They are JC are DIV II level players at best. Any decent QB will pick us apart if the opposing team goes with a passing plan/attack against us.

This turned out to be far too long of a post, but these were some comments and observations that I wanted to get across after watching our team melt down in front of my eyes on Saturday. It was another game we could have won convincingly had we kept our focus. With some decent DBs, it could have been a blow out on our part. We MUST find and recruit some DBs, and we have to learn to stay focused and not give up when something goes wrong for us.
1OLEMISSREBEL
All American
All American

I usually get to the stadium in time to watch the team go thru warm-ups. I commented to those around me that the team looked "flat" while going thru the warm up routines. I expected them to be fired up after the win at FLA but I suppose this too is part of our problem.
Even a bad day as a Rebel is better than a good day with the dawgs!!!!
RebelFIL
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

rewalters, you have expressed what it is like to be an Ole Miss football fan in the current landscape. Thanks. It is right on, but I hope it changes, ala Georgia in the 90s to Georgia in the 2000s.
badmotorfinger
All American
All American

It was my first game this season and likely the only one I'll be able to attend.

I was ashamed of the crowd sitting in my section. No enthusiasm whatsoever. They didn't even applaud hardly....it was truly pathetic. I thought SC's crowd got louder at times than we did all day. What's really bad is I had some friends from the Atlanta area who were able to attend for the first time. It was embarrasing.

I thought Snead played really good. He did miss some open recievers but that happens. Several times I thought he did well scanning the field and not just locking on to one guy. That's what happened on the last drive though. The DB knew it was coming his way from the start of the play.

Pass rush has to do better.

Once again we didn't deliver the KO punch when we could have. I thought we were about to go up 10 pts and Dex fumbled the ball. I think this is the biggest obstacle the rebels have to overcome if they are going to "learn how to win". They have to keep playing smart when they get ahead.

Bolden should be our starting RB.
Rule #1.......Don't panik