Baseball America Chat

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

oxfordrebel
All American
All American

I'm catching up on some college baseball stuff and I came across this. Didn't realize the live chats had started so early. Traditionally the guys at Baseball America haven't given the Rebels a lot of love so it surprised me when in the live chat on Jan. 4 Aaron Fitt showed the love for the Rebels when answering questions about Ole Miss, Cody Satterwhite, and Lance Lynn. This will probably be reflected when their pre-season polls are released on Jan. 22.
Q: James from Mississippi asks:
Is anyone going to be able to beat Ole miss this year? Is Cody Satterwhite a top of the 1st round pick and same question for lance Lynn? Thanks
A:

Aaron Fitt: There are three teams that I see as the class of the SEC in 2008 — Ole Miss, Vandy and South Carolina. Of that group, the Rebels have far and away the best pitching, led by Lynn and Satterwhite, two legit power righties who could both go in the first round. I'll be very curious to see how Satterwhite fares in the rotation this year after closing for most of his first two collegiate seasons, but his arm strength is probably the best in the nation. He just needs to command his stuff better. Lynn hasn't demonstrated as much raw stuff, but he's still a power pitcher with better command and an outstanding track record. If Satterwhite puts it all together this spring, he could be a top-10 pick, but he could also slip into the end of the first round or the second. I think Lynn's likely to go in the 20s somewhere.
College Baseball Chat With Aaron Fitt
GO REBELS!!!
OMNOB
2nd String
2nd String

I guess I am biased to the 10th power here, but with the arms on the mound, the defense behind said arms, and an above average offense, I just don't see anyone, including Vandy & SC, beating us in the SEC.

Can't wait to see this group of Diamond Rebs!!
"America is the New York Yankees of countries,powerful and respected until the year 2000"-Homer Simpson
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

OMNOB wrote:I guess I am biased to the 10th power here, but with the arms on the mound, the defense behind said arms, and an above average offense, I just don't see anyone, including Vandy & SC, beating us in the SEC.

Can't wait to see this group of Diamond Rebs!!
I agree. Strong defense is one of the attributes of a Bianco team. They focus on it and are always around .990.

That said, last year they were still SUPER talented. Young, but very talented. They still figured out how to hand games away. The LSU series in Baton Rouge comes to mind. It's series those types of series that stick in the memory. Having a more veteran group this year should help some of those problems. We need a couple of guys who are long ball threats every time they come to the plate and EVERYONE needs to hit for average. But that's just the ideal. We still have good bats and I think they'll be better this season.

Vandy's at home, SC's on the road. My prediction is that we'll take 2 from Vandy and drop 2 to SC to split the two series. Win or sweep the rest and we'll head into the SEC Tourney with 40+ wins and a Regional host. Not a bad regular season at all. I think we'll end the regular season with 37 - 40 wins. Lots of really tough road series out there where we could drop 2. TCU, State (Starkville can be a tough baseball environment), SC, and UK. Then the tougher home series with Minnesota, Vandy, LSU, and Arky. We'll win more of those than we'll lose, but they'll still be tough.
GO REBELS!!!