Kent Austin to be named OC

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

BrettInAtlanta
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Sources inside Ole Miss have indicated to The Ole Miss Spirit that Kent Austin has been offered the offensive coordinator position at Ole Miss and has accepted. He is expected to be named officially by Thursday.
http://mississippi.scout.com/2/720448.html

Do you think he used the "Wildcat" formation up there in Canada?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." ~ Benjamin Franklin
guidree
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Austin will be a great addition in my opinion. In the CFL due to the number of downs the offense runs more passing plays than running plays. If Markuson will be used also as a running game coordinator, then Austin may be very effective in regards to the passing game. Then again, he may be given the fulll reign over the offense which will probably be the case.
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

YES. This is great news. I think he will help develop Jevan also. I'm pretty excited about this hire. May sway some more offensive players our way.
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Well I have to say I am somewhat surprised, ecstatic but surprised. First of all I never thought Tillman would have ever let him out of Saskatchewan. I know Eric loves OM, but he has said quite a few times on Spirit's MB that he was prepared to do what ever he had to do to keep Kent. So either Kent desire to get back into the college game was strong or he got one heck of a deal (probably both). Secondly, as some others have mentioned I was pretty sure the job was more a “QB” coach rather than an “OC”. I truly believe Kent would not be taking the job if that was the case.

Well, what ever the deal, I am just glad to have him on board. Nice start to the year, let’s hope we keep it up through the first week in February!!

Go Rebels!!!!!!

Edit to add:

This might explain Clayton Moore's comments after visiting with Coach Nutt yesterday.

Did you discuss the type of offense Coach Nutt will run next year?

"They want to go to the spread. They think I'll fit in nicely."
Randy
03rebs

Isn't Tillman an Ole Miss alumnus?
Forward Rebels!
ReservoirReb
3rd String
3rd String

03rebs wrote:Isn't Tillman an Ole Miss alumnus?
Yes he is.
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Yep and I'd love for him to come to Ole Miss when Boone steps down. I think he'd be great for Ole Miss also.
Last edited by Redbluedude on Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Redbluedude wrote:
Yep and I'd love for hem to come to Ole Miss when Boone steps down. I think he'd be great for Ole Miss also.
Wow, now THAT'S a great notion. I love it, should we start a petition/vote tally now? :D
L. S. WHO?
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

rewalters wrote:Well I have to say I am somewhat surprised, ecstatic but surprised. First of all I never thought Tillman would have ever let him out of Saskatchewan. I know Eric loves OM, but he has said quite a few times on Spirit's MB that he was prepared to do what ever he had to do to keep Kent. So either Kent desire to get back into the college game was strong or he got one heck of a deal (probably both). Secondly, as some others have mentioned I was pretty sure the job was more a “QB” coach rather than an “OC”. I truly believe Kent would not be taking the job if that was the case.

Well, what ever the deal, I am just glad to have him on board. Nice start to the year, let’s hope we keep it up through the first week in February!!

Go Rebels!!!!!!

Edit to add:

This might explain Clayton Moore's comments after visiting with Coach Nutt yesterday.

So...um...Hagar, who you pullin for in the FIFA this year? :lol:
GO REBELS!!!
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

oxfordrebel wrote:
rewalters wrote:Well I have to say I am somewhat surprised, ecstatic but surprised. First of all I never thought Tillman would have ever let him out of Saskatchewan. I know Eric loves OM, but he has said quite a few times on Spirit's MB that he was prepared to do what ever he had to do to keep Kent. So either Kent desire to get back into the college game was strong or he got one heck of a deal (probably both). Secondly, as some others have mentioned I was pretty sure the job was more a “QB” coach rather than an “OC”. I truly believe Kent would not be taking the job if that was the case.

Go Rebels!!!!!!

Edit to add:

Lol, I was going to mention "wrong board" here, but it IS football!!!!

ha, ha.
L. S. WHO?
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

oxpatchreb wrote:
oxfordrebel wrote:

Go Rebels!!!!!!

Edit to add:

Lol, I was going to mention "wrong board" here, but it IS football!!!!

ha, ha.
Actually there's an inside joke here. Hagar said sometime back that if Ole Miss ever goes to the spread that he'd leave football and go to soccer. It was a joke of course...at least we hope...
GO REBELS!!!
03rebs

It had to have been a joke. Hagar leave football for soccer? Not in my lifetime. :lol:
Forward Rebels!
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

03rebs wrote:It had to have been a joke. Hagar leave football for soccer? Not in my lifetime. :lol:
I still might...Soccer and spread offenses are for sissies.
Later,
Hagar
rebeloke
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Hagar wrote:
03rebs wrote:It had to have been a joke. Hagar leave football for soccer? Not in my lifetime. :lol:
I still might...Soccer and spread offenses are for sissies.
I don't know I kind of like to think the less physical the style the better. There is something of an irony that men in tight pants grabbing each other is somehow viewed as masculine. Like Olympic style wrestling and all... I think we get too much of our notion of athletics from the Greeks and we all know what kind of men they were...
jrhawki
Scout Team
Scout Team

BRAVO...Haven't been this excited since I went to my 1st Rebel game in a driving rain back in the day when Jake Gibbs was under center. Hope Nutt allows him to take the REBELS to that same level that was there when Gibbs played...This excellent hire could be our replacement for Nutt down the road.....Hotty Toddy