Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

fastbrk4
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Have we hit rock bottom yet?
3 sentence analysis:
Polynice is playing terrible.
He and Kenny would do better to shoot free throws with their eyes closed.
Huertas--air ball or bottom of the net???

In depth analysis:
What's good? Is there any hope?
Frontcourt
I think Curtis gets about as much out of himself as he can. He is undersized and can't jump so he is maxing out his potential so I can't really knock him. Kenny is playing horrible this year. Parnell didn't look explosive today so I assume the ankle is still a problem. That leaves us with White and Watson. I say start playing these guys since Kenny is killing us and let Parnell get healthy--we are losing anyway. When Kenny doesn't play defense well or rebound, why not play Watson--his defense and rebounding seem awesome to me....and he actually has made some shots in his limited playing time that have impressed me. White--potential, potential--let's start brining it out. We have signed two 6'9" guys who should/must make an immediate impact next year as freshmen.
Backcourt
Huertas--maybe he is a good shooter, heck maybe he's great but his mind is not right. Until something changes between the ears, he is a liability.
Gaskins--undersized and cannot get open. He seems to be good when spotting up but not so good off the dribble. Every time he drives, it's not pretty.
Graham--seems well-rounded-inside/outside offensive game plus rebounding and defense have to be the best of the guards other than Polynice who kills you on the offensive end so I give the edge to Graham. Seems to make pretty good decisions even though he has less playing time under his belt than all the other guards. Shoots free throws well too!!!
Polynice--How many times do we have to see the spin move? I think everybody in the SEC knows it's coming and that's why it has become less and less effective. Terrible decision-making right now. Has to be the biggest disappointment along with Huertas. Even his jumpshot has gone south.
Warren--At least you can say he is clutch. No fear and might make a mistake but won't take the time to dwell on it. I think this is above all else why Kennedy likes him. He is the anti-Huertas on the floor. Miss 5 shots, that's ok--he doesn't let it affect him or his play elsewhere on the court. I think he will be fine and is the least of our worries.
Ar_Hog
Banned

Good thing ya'll have Chris Warren....only good thing the Rebels have going for them. :lol:
bigtreydaddy
2nd String
2nd String

Ar_Hog wrote:Good thing ya'll have Chris Warren....only good thing the Rebels have going for them. :lol:
How refreshing! A dissenting Hog fan that didn't include HN in his comment! Bravo!
Ar_Hog
Banned

bigtreydaddy wrote:
Ar_Hog wrote:Good thing ya'll have Chris Warren....only good thing the Rebels have going for them. :lol:
How refreshing! A dissenting Hog fan that didn't include HN in his comment! Bravo!
Why should I comment on a coach that we got fired?
I thought this was a BB forum??

You don't mention HDN and I won't... :wink:
BigTrev34
All SEC
All SEC

Sorry guys. My Cards beat G-Town tonight. Just got home and I was so pumped after that game. Went to the College Gameday and had a blast.
done

The NIT is looking more realistic every day.

But cheer up. Spring Football almost here!
RebelBond
Scout Team
Scout Team

Ar_Hog wrote:
bigtreydaddy wrote:
Why should I comment on a coach that we got fired?
I thought this was a BB forum??

You don't mention HDN and I won't... :wink:
I am sure you had a hand in it. LOL ! Nutt resigned, he was not fired. Keep trying to sell yourself on the fact the hog nation ran off a good coach. Hell you even ran off two good basketball coaches.

RebelBond
www.bigfoamyhead.com

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and it annoys the pig.
- Paul Dickson
RebelBond
Scout Team
Scout Team

fastbrk4 wrote:Have we hit rock bottom yet?
3 sentence analysis:
Polynice is playing terrible.
He and Kenny would do better to shoot free throws with their eyes closed.
Huertas--air ball or bottom of the net???

In depth analysis:
What's good? Is there any hope?
Frontcourt
I think Curtis gets about as much out of himself as he can. He is undersized and can't jump so he is maxing out his potential so I can't really knock him. Kenny is playing horrible this year. Parnell didn't look explosive today so I assume the ankle is still a problem. That leaves us with White and Watson. I say start playing these guys since Kenny is killing us and let Parnell get healthy--we are losing anyway. When Kenny doesn't play defense well or rebound, why not play Watson--his defense and rebounding seem awesome to me....and he actually has made some shots in his limited playing time that have impressed me. White--potential, potential--let's start brining it out. We have signed two 6'9" guys who should/must make an immediate impact next year as freshmen.
Backcourt
Huertas--maybe he is a good shooter, heck maybe he's great but his mind is not right. Until something changes between the ears, he is a liability.
Gaskins--undersized and cannot get open. He seems to be good when spotting up but not so good off the dribble. Every time he drives, it's not pretty.
Graham--seems well-rounded-inside/outside offensive game plus rebounding and defense have to be the best of the guards other than Polynice who kills you on the offensive end so I give the edge to Graham. Seems to make pretty good decisions even though he has less playing time under his belt than all the other guards. Shoots free throws well too!!!
Polynice--How many times do we have to see the spin move? I think everybody in the SEC knows it's coming and that's why it has become less and less effective. Terrible decision-making right now. Has to be the biggest disappointment along with Huertas. Even his jumpshot has gone south.
Warren--At least you can say he is clutch. No fear and might make a mistake but won't take the time to dwell on it. I think this is above all else why Kennedy likes him. He is the anti-Huertas on the floor. Miss 5 shots, that's ok--he doesn't let it affect him or his play elsewhere on the court. I think he will be fine and is the least of our worries.
We have 6 Freshmen and 3 Sophomores and one of the Freshmen is leading this team. We have not hit rock bottom. Rock bottom was Rod Barnes last two seasons. We had an injury to a major part of the team defense and he is just now getting back so give it another game. This team will get better. If we can get to 8-8 in the SEC I will be dead on for my prediction at the beginning of the year.

RebelBond
www.bigfoamyhead.com

- Paul Dickson
fastbrk4
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

RebelBond,
I didn't mean rock bottom in that way. I meant it like I hope we HAVE hit rock bottom and we start heading the other way--up!!! Yes, the future is bright but this team is not playing to its potential which is the sad part. We lost two games we should have won without question and almost let two more at home get away because of the way we played.

Contrastly, I think last year's team got everything out of themselves. Our guards last year were efficient and that was the difference. They were not as talented but did not make the same mistakes--turnovers, poor defense, etc.

Bottom line, we just need to get our heads on straight and play aggressively to get the most out of our team. It is obvious that we can play so much better--That is what is so frustrating to AK, to me, and so many Rebel fans.
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

The win over Clemson seems so long ago...
GO REBELS!!!
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

We have the talent to play and beat anyone; unfortunately we also have the youth that is prone to make mistakes and/or play flat.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
MtownRebel
3rd String
3rd String

While it's true we are very young I'm not going to place our losing streak on the young guys. Where have the older guys been this season? Other than Curtis. Williams, Smith, and Parnell (I know he's been injured and palyed well at times) have been disappointing to me as seniors. I still love them, but they need to take over this team, they've been here 4 years and no what it takes.

You look at players like Chris Warren and Zach Graham, two players who have really upped their game, well CW has always been solid, and I find it hard to say we're losing because of youth.
RebelBond
Scout Team
Scout Team

fastbrk4 wrote:RebelBond,
I didn't mean rock bottom in that way. I meant it like I hope we HAVE hit rock bottom and we start heading the other way--up!!! Yes, the future is bright but this team is not playing to its potential which is the sad part. We lost two games we should have won without question and almost let two more at home get away because of the way we played.

Contrastly, I think last year's team got everything out of themselves. Our guards last year were efficient and that was the difference. They were not as talented but did not make the same mistakes--turnovers, poor defense, etc.

Bottom line, we just need to get our heads on straight and play aggressively to get the most out of our team. It is obvious that we can play so much better--That is what is so frustrating to AK, to me, and so many Rebel fans.
Every year you win a few you shouldn't and lose a few you shouldn't. We just need to win the few we shouldn't and the ship will be righted. I don't know if we will get the wins but the team AK is building will be solid for a few years. The recruits he has coming in and the returning players will be fun to watch. We need depth in a bad way and it will take another year to build it but AK is getting it done. We are most likely ahead of where we should be. When you look at the talent and the age of the team with all the new players, AK is doing a great job. I still think this team has another run left in them and maybe it will be come SEC tourney time. If we could start peaking around then and carry it into the NCAA's look out.

RebelBond
www.bigfoamyhead.com

- Paul Dickson
RebelBond
Scout Team
Scout Team

MtownRebel wrote:While it's true we are very young I'm not going to place our losing streak on the young guys. Where have the older guys been this season? Other than Curtis. Williams, Smith, and Parnell (I know he's been injured and palyed well at times) have been disappointing to me as seniors. I still love them, but they need to take over this team, they've been here 4 years and no what it takes.

You look at players like Chris Warren and Zach Graham, two players who have really upped their game, well CW has always been solid, and I find it hard to say we're losing because of youth.
MTown, it's not the youth or the seniors, it is the team chemistry of all the new guys mixing with the old guys. I feel the chemistry is why we are so inconsistent and then the injury to Parnell knocked us back a step. It will be a bumpy ride the rest of the year. I hope to be playing our best ball come tourney time.

RebelBond
www.bigfoamyhead.com

- Paul Dickson