Not really an OM baseball fan but wondering

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

BigTrev34
All SEC
All SEC

I root for Om if I catch em on tv, which is rarely. I love baseball and am big time pro fan and know all about the minor leagues and all the top prospects. I was just wondering if there are any guys thatr have a lot of pro potential. I know abou Lanve Lynn bc he is a surefire first rounder. I also know yall didnt get Zack Cox or Osbourne hwo I heard were borh interested in OM. They are local boys who I actually know. My friends played baseball with em when they were sophomores. You missed out on these guys bc Osborne is the best ss Ive ever seen and against my school hes set a state recors with 6 dps. He was involved in all dps. Cox is the best dual threat I have ever seen. He piched a no hitter and also had 2 dbls. One almost went out at ULs stadiumn at dead center. The guy was a beast and I expect him to go pro bc he throws 95. Anyway getting away from my point bc these guys are so good. Anybody other tha Lynn got some serious pro potential?
ReservoirReb
3rd String
3rd String

Probably Cody Satterwhite. He has a big arm (95+mph). He has control issues from time to time. When he is on he is hard to hit. When he has command of his stuff he can dominate.
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Good call RR on Satterwhite. I'll also say that Jordan Henry will be drafted in a couple of years. He should be a SEC AA and is on a watch list or two this year and he's a true Soph. May or may not make the big show. It's very difficult to break out of the minors in the MLB. When you have that many players drafted every year, the chances of being the one out of how many to make the big show makes it slim odds.

As far as who will be drafted off of this year's team (this year or in the future) it's hard to say. There are some guys who I would peg as sure things and they won't be picked. Then there are others I though had a slightly better than average college career and they'll be picked up. I really couldn't tell you every person. If I had to guess right now I'd say that Satterwhite and Henry will def go eventually.
GO REBELS!!!
Townes
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

BigTrev34 wrote:I root for Om if I catch em on tv, which is rarely. I love baseball and am big time pro fan and know all about the minor leagues and all the top prospects. I was just wondering if there are any guys thatr have a lot of pro potential. I know abou Lanve Lynn bc he is a surefire first rounder. I also know yall didnt get Zack Cox or Osbourne hwo I heard were borh interested in OM. They are local boys who I actually know. My friends played baseball with em when they were sophomores. You missed out on these guys bc Osborne is the best ss Ive ever seen and against my school hes set a state recors with 6 dps. He was involved in all dps. Cox is the best dual threat I have ever seen. He piched a no hitter and also had 2 dbls. One almost went out at ULs stadiumn at dead center. The guy was a beast and I expect him to go pro bc he throws 95. Anyway getting away from my point bc these guys are so good. Anybody other tha Lynn got some serious pro potential?
Hm... interesting. Bianco must not have brought them in for visits. I read a stat that last year, 95% of the players brought in for a visit committed while on their visit.

We're not hurting for big time prospects. The signing class they just grabbed was off the charts apparently. Next season, we may have both corner infielders as 6'6" freshman twins who can swat the ball. I always like having height at the corners.
Houston Nutt has done nothing but good things for Ole Miss. Until he does something bad, all your arguments against him are lost on us.
BigTrev34
All SEC
All SEC

They are seniors right now. Cox commited to Uk and is now commited to Arky but I expect him to get drafted. Hes the 20th best HS player in the nation on BA. Osborne won the LLWS and has been very good for powerhouse PRP. Osborne is still deciding but I talked to his brother who plays for L-Ville and think hes going to UL. I just knew they knew about Om, not that they were going.
ReservoirReb
3rd String
3rd String

I agree with oxfordrebel on Henry. He is definitely a player. Very versatile. Is really a middle infielder but played outfield last year and excelled in the SEC. He is a Soph this year so he is a couple of years away. He is not going to blast a bunch of balls out of the park but he will more than make up for it with speed and just overall skill. At the next level I can see him at either middle infield position or centerfield.

Of course, I am no scout and may not know what I am talking about. I am just a baseball fan.
Heath
All American
All American

As long as Bianco has been here, there seems to have been players that were just average or saw very little playing time the year before, and then just step up and become awesome players the next year. I don't expect anything different this year. I remember when Justin Henry came in to play 1st base for Stephen Head a few years ago. I remember thinking, "Who is this skinny little guy?? He looks more scared than anything!" Well, we all know what happened in the next 2 years. I guess Bianco knows how to pick 'em a lot better than me.

But as far as Major League talent goes, BigTrev, don't ever assume that a boy has that type of talent until A.) You see them hit GOOD pitching with a WOODEN bat (because there is a big difference between an aluminum and a wooden bat), or B.) You see them throw GOOD breaking pitches, because 95 mph heat will only get you so far when pitching against top-notch hitters.

Now, I am not saying that the boys you are talking about are not any good, because it sounds like they are. You just have to remember that there are many players out there like them, not only in America, but in the Dominican, Puerto Rico, etc.

So, on this year's team, there are probably many boys that have the ability to play in the Minors. But making it to the Majors will be a completely different story. When it comes to the Majors, you're talking about a talent level that is above and beyond "Good" talent.
BigTrev34
All SEC
All SEC

Stephen Head? Indians farm system. I didnt know he went to Ole Miss.
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

BigTrev34 wrote:Stephen Head? Indians farm system. I didnt know he went to Ole Miss.
Bingo. One of the best to play to play at Ole Miss in recent history. You could go to the park on any given day his last year and almost bet money he'd hit a homer in the game (or so it seemed). Plus he was a pretty good pitcher too. Not an ace, but good for solid relief and even started on Sundays as the 3rd guy in our weekend rotation his last year, if memory serves correctly. His delivery to the plate was different, I remember that. He had a different motion. He's a south-paw which can really be advantageous when used right. But his biggest strengths were his bat and his fielding at 1st.

As far as the big show goes, Heath is absolutely correct. When you prove you can hit with a wooden bat then you can start thinking about going places. That's why I like the summer leagues and glad to see our guys go play in them. Plus the MLB game compared to the college game is like comparing NFL to CFB. It's just a whole different level. Bianco's had a bunch of guys drafted, but not just a whole bunch make it to the bigs...yet. :D
GO REBELS!!!
JoeRebel
3rd String
3rd String

BigTrev34 wrote:Stephen Head? Indians farm system. I didnt know he went to Ole Miss.
You are showing your ignorance of Ole Miss baseball :)

That kind of like a Louisville fan saying Stephen Lawho? :)

just pulling on your chain man, not trying to insult you.
"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."
Ronald Reagan
BigTrev34
All SEC
All SEC

Thats cool, but who in the hell is Steven Lawho?