Does it begin today?

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

fastbrk4
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Let's hope so!!! Let's blow out Auburn ala Vandy/KY game!!!
MtownRebel
3rd String
3rd String

fastbrk4 wrote:Let's hope so!!! Let's blow out Auburn ala Vandy/KY game!!!
The team's in turmoil, the players do not respect Kennedy anymore, players fight amongst themselves, our coaches are alcoholics, expect a few transfers.
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

MtownRebel wrote:
fastbrk4 wrote:quote]

The team's in turmoil, the players do not respect Kennedy anymore, players fight amongst themselves, our coaches are alcoholics, expect a few transfers.
wow. 8O
done

MtownRebel wrote:
huh? Is this a humorous Coach O analogy? Hope so 8)
Memphis Jack
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

[quote="MtownRebel"][quote="fastbrk4"]Let's hope so!!! Let's blow out Auburn ala Vandy/KY game!!![/quote]

The team's in turmoil, the players do not respect Kennedy anymore, players fight amongst themselves, our coaches are alcoholics, expect a few transfers.[/quote]

Is this for real?
Townes
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Memphis Jack wrote:Is this for real?
Yes.
Houston Nutt has done nothing but good things for Ole Miss. Until he does something bad, all your arguments against him are lost on us.
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

From what I've watched today, it sure looks like it. No confidence, poor defense, poor passes and playing very lethargic. With 5 minutes left, I'm done with this one.
done

Could we possibly have 13 pre-conference wins and 13 in conference losses?
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

Didn't that happen a few seasons ago. started 13-3 (3-0) and ended up 14-16 (4-12). Obviously the record won't be that bad, but this is starting to look like the possibility of a similar collapse.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
Grenada Reb
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

MtownRebel wrote:
Mtown, you are plugged in to the program. When did this start? Did the losing streak magnify it?
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

MtownRebel wrote:
Well this is just great. If it's true (and I'm not doubting you Mtown, just hoping it's not) it makes all of us "not turning on AK and the team b/c of a bad SEC road record" supporters look like complete *beep*heads. How embarrassing. Here we are supporting AK and the boys on the board, trying to get others to keep hope alive, being positive and generally refusing to give up, and it turns out the coaches and players gave up months ago. How UNBELIEVABLY humiliating.

I'll wait it out. Wait for actual confirmation and some sort of believable proof. If it turns out that AK can't keep his players together, and the players don't have the moral character to respect and believe in their coach, then I'm going to wash my hands of the whole business.

I've been on the Basketball bandwagon since '93 when I got to school. Ups and downs and everything included, I've never seen this kind of embarrassment if it turns out to be more than rumor. All this talent squandered, transfers, fighting players, drunk coaches.......
:oops: :sweat:

They don't deserve my support. I feel so disgusted and betrayed.

But, I'll wait it out. When it's confirmed, then I'll make a decision.
L. S. WHO?
fastbrk4
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Man, how quickly things can change in college sports!!! Or maybe better put, how quickly perceptions change.

Mtown, don't be so vague. What exactly do you know? Who is transferring, etc, etc? Also, given all this is true what amazes me is how this stuff only comes up when you are losing. If there are alcoholics and such then they were probably so before we started losing. Also, again not to say there is no truth in all of these comments but we must have one of the most unstable fan bases I've ever witnessed. Other schools go through losing streaks and such just as we are but you don't see the same kind of reaction from the fans. Kentucky, for example, they just took the worst loss is SEC history and the fans don't leave a 10pt game with 4 minutes left. It was disgraceful to be in the TadPad Sat. Same thing happens at football games. Look at the football attendance this year, the team was in several games, Florida as an example, and the fans just give up on the team and don't even show up for the home games. I know Coach O had a lot to do with the results but you can't just walk out on your team. You have to take the bad with the good.
Mark this down, those who love Nutt today will be calling for his head by the end of next season if we aren't bowl bound. Expectations are unrealistic. I heard the same people cursing Kennedy yesterday who were praising him last year. One thing I can say about the Bullies is that they stuck with Croom and have supported him all along. Sorry for the rant, but I'm sick of this.
RebelBond
Scout Team
Scout Team

fastbrk4 wrote:Man, how quickly things can change in college sports!!! Or maybe better put, how quickly perceptions change.

Mtown, don't be so vague. What exactly do you know? Who is transferring, etc, etc? Also, given all this is true what amazes me is how this stuff only comes up when you are losing. If there are alcoholics and such then they were probably so before we started losing. Also, again not to say there is no truth in all of these comments but we must have one of the most unstable fan bases I've ever witnessed. Other schools go through losing streaks and such just as we are but you don't see the same kind of reaction from the fans. Kentucky, for example, they just took the worst loss is SEC history and the fans don't leave a 10pt game with 4 minutes left. It was disgraceful to be in the TadPad Sat. Same thing happens at football games. Look at the football attendance this year, the team was in several games, Florida as an example, and the fans just give up on the team and don't even show up for the home games. I know Coach O had a lot to do with the results but you can't just walk out on your team. You have to take the bad with the good.
Mark this down, those who love Nutt today will be calling for his head by the end of next season if we aren't bowl bound. Expectations are unrealistic. I heard the same people cursing Kennedy yesterday who were praising him last year. One thing I can say about the Bullies is that they stuck with Croom and have supported him all along. Sorry for the rant, but I'm sick of this.
Sorry, but your are so wrong on so many points. Kentucky ran off their coach Tubby Smith, you know, the father of the player that Rod Barnes let have a scholarship that could have been given to a better ball player.
It happens everywhere, this thing we call sports is a business. Win at all cost as long as the skeletons are buried deep in the closet.
Look at Arkansas, they just ran off one of the best football coach they have ever had. Auburn tried a midnight coup to get rid of Tubby and the list goes on.
As far as fans are concerned we don't have a large enough base because we have not won enough to build a large base to withstand a losing streak. When tickets are hard to get during a long spell of winning there are fans who can't go but when the team starts losing the tickets are available and it looks like the fans still support the team but the truth is there is just a set of fans who can now go to a game or two.
I remember going to Memphis games when Finch was the coach. We used to get free tickets and almost sit where we wanted. Now you can't get a ticket to a Memphis Basketball game.

Don't get on the fans, the product on the court and on the field will determine the amount of fans in the stands, always has and always will.

RebelBond
www.bigfoamyhead.com

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and it annoys the pig.
- Paul Dickson
done

fastbrk4 wrote:Man, how quickly things can change in college sports!!! Or maybe better put, how quickly perceptions change.

The fans did not bail on Coach O. It was obvious from pretty early on that he was in over his head and yet the fans stayed excited by proclaiming he was a recruiting genius who just needed time.

And the fans aren't bailing on AK yet either. They are just disappointed because their expectations were high (in this case based upon the team winning 13 in a row as opposed to Coach O who couldn't win squat).

The only coach who can remotely say that the Ole Miss fans bailed on him is Cutcliffe.

Ole Miss fans will usually support their coaches until they are given sufficient reason not to. These things we are hearing are right now unsubstantiated and driven by the way we are losing.

Let's let the dust settle before we bury AK or the fans.
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

fastbrk4 wrote: Also, given all this is true what amazes me is how this stuff only comes up when you are losing.
I think the signs of something not being right were there when we were winning.

I am not a "basketball expert" by no means, but even when we were winning there seemed to be some questionable decisions and play. There were stretches that were just bad basketball, our hope was they were just anomalies.

Unfortunately as I stated early in the season, my biggest fear was that the anomalies quickly would become a trend. Now it appears the trend may turn into a disaster.
Randy