SOS/ISR/RPI

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

oxfordrebel
All American
All American

I like Boyd's World (www.boydsworld.com) as he tends to have VERY accurate stuff. All statistical measurements using different formulas he's worked on and perfected over the years. He started releasing information today, so here ya go.

SOS - This is the "intended" strength of schedule from pre-season compiled. In other words, how tough our schedule looked at the beginning of the season. We ranked 22nd on that. The only SEC team ahead of us on that list is Georgia at #5. They've played a KILLER schedule so far this year.

ISR - This is the Iterative Strength Ratings, or how tough our schedule looks today based on past results of the teams on it, how we've fared, and other factors in the formula (of which I'm not fully up to speed on, but still very accurate). We rank 13th on that. No other SEC team is ahead of us on that list. When we look at the ISRs of the conferences as a whole, the SEC ranks 7th.

RPI - Everyone's favorite. This is the Ratings Power Index of which we are all so aware of. It is one of the things the selection committee looks at when post-season comes around to determine seeds and national seeds. This changes day-to-day and it's very volatile. This is the PSEUDO-RPI. Boyd has a formula he goes by and does not know the NCAA's official formula, but he's always pretty dead-on at the end of the year, so it's very reliable and many news sources use Boyd's RPI because it is so accurate. As of 8:44 this morning Ole Miss was at #31. The only SEC team ahead of us is South Carolina at #26. Want to know what a quality series win does? TCU has a 7-5 record, but is at #14 this morning.

When we look at the RPIs of the conferences as a whole, the SEC ranks 5th among the 31 baseball conferences.

So that's a description of what there is. I'll try to post the ISR and RPI every week when the polls come out. Go check out Boyd's World to see the new RPIs. I know at the end of the season he usually releases a new RPI every morning. I'm not sure about early in the season if he does a new one every day or once a week or what.
GO REBELS!!!
Heath
All American
All American

Thanks for the info. That stuff will be very useful when it gets closer to tournament time.
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Yeah, great stuff Oxford. I"m not sure I want to know how everything REALLY works, as my head would probably explode, but I do like knowing how all things play into our current situation.

I'll follow this stuff all year.
L. S. WHO?