Huertas...

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

felicianareb
2nd String
2nd String

Rebchuck18 wrote:It is only appropriate that our season (the NIT is basically exhibition) ends with Georgia running the length of the court basically uncontested with 6 seconds left and getting a wide open jumper within 12-15 feet of the basket with the majority of our defense looking on from the other side of the court.

Huertas played his butt off. He and Warren making 3 straight FT's at the end of regulation and OT was ballsy. But our style is going to keep us from being as good as we can be. We play basketball like Texas Tech plays football. It's fast pace and certainly not boring, but at the end of the season we look up and we have lost 10 SEC games, many of which we could have won with even a slither of smart defense.

The times I have gotten to watch this team play have been painful. I just don't like the style. I don't mind the run and gun, if you play equally as hard and smart on the defensive end.

I think AK is a good hire and I am looking forward to seeing the Idaho kid work into the team next year along with Warren, but this year was frustrating at best.
You've pretty much got it. I hope Kennedy figures out how to teach some discipline and focus to next year's team. This team flunked the discipline and focus class. :oops: :oops: :oops:
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

I would like to see AK bring in a veteran assistant or former HC (who emphasizes defense) as a hire this season. Just someone to turn to for advice on the fly.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
MtownRebel
3rd String
3rd String

Yes, because North Carolina did not win a championship running this style of offense, Memphis is not doing well, Tennessee is not the best team in the SEC, Roy Williams didn't dominate at KU with it, Villanova did not get a one seed with it when they had Lowry Roye and Foye, the Phoenix Suns in the NBA aren't successful, and plenty of others failed miserably....
done

MtownRebel wrote:Yes, because North Carolina did not win a championship running this style of offense, Memphis is not doing well, Tennessee is not the best team in the SEC, Roy Williams didn't dominate at KU with it, Villanova did not get a one seed with it when they had Lowry Roye and Foye, the Phoenix Suns in the NBA aren't successful, and plenty of others failed miserably....
But North Carolina and Tennessee play defense as well. I am not sure Memphis has to play defense. And the Phoenix Suns have not won a championship. San Antonio, which also plays defense has. That is why Phoenix signed Shaq Daddy. Even in the NBA over the last twenty years only six teams have won championships: Chicago (6), San Antonio (4), Los Angeles (4), Detroit (3), Houston (2) and Miami (1). Most of those teams had good defenses to match their offense.

I am not saying chuck the offense (no pun intended). I am just saying also work on the defense. We are definitely young and talented and I like the hire. But anyone that says it was not frustrating to watch this team play I don't think is being totally honest. If I didn't think they had potential I would not have been frustrated.

Pre-conference play: Great
Conference regular season: Disappointing
Post Season: Sucky

But we have talent. I don't put any credence in any of the off the court stuff unless it goes beyond unsubstantiated rumor. We just need to play sound defense next year and I think we will make a run. But we will miss Curtis. He is a man.