Mississippi State Series

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Next up are the Mississippi State Bulldogs. Our first conference series of the year. Here are some quick facts:

Conference: Southeastern Conference

Current Record: 7-7 (0-0 SEC); 6-5 Home

Current W/L Streak: W2

Current rank:
Mississippi State is not ranked nor did they receive votes in any polls.

Current Pseudo-RPI (Boyd's World): 183 out of 293 teams.

Team Stats:
.309 Team BA; .282 Opponent Team BA
6.02 Staff ERA; 7.05 Opponent Staff ERA
.973 FLD%, 14 E
128 Men LOB; 122 Opponent's Men LOB
6 Double Plays; 24 Opponent Double Plays

Offensive Leaders (among those who appear to be starters):
Jason Nappi - .423 BA through 14 games; 22-52; 6-2B; 0-3B; 3 HR; 13 RBIs; 16 Runs scored; 1 SB (2 attempts); 9 BB; 0 HBP; 7K; .712 SLG%; .508 OB%
Connor Powers - .269 BA through 14 games; 14-52; 1-2B; 2 HR; 11 RBIs; 10 Runs scored; 1 SB; 10 BB; 0 HBP; 11K; No data on his SLG%; No data on his OB%

Defensive Leaders (among those who appear to be starters):
Most regular starters have committed less than 2 errors.

2007 Final Record: 38-22 (15-13 SEC)

2007 Meeting: The Rebels and the Bulldogs met 4 times last season, as is the normal case for the two teams. They met in a regular 3 game conference series and also played one non-conference game against each other in the Governor's Cup in Pearl, MS.

#15 Mississippi State took on #19 Ole Miss in the Governor's Cup in Pearl, MS on April 17, 2007. State won the game 14-9. They then met a week and a half later in Oxford, MS for the 3 game SEC series. State was ranked #17 while Ole Miss was ranked #18. The Rebels took care of the Bulldogs in short order on Friday, April 27 as they rolled to a 17-7 win as the Rebels jumped on them early opening a 14-1 lead by the end of the 3rd inning. The next day was a battle between Lance Lynn for the Rebels and Justin Pigott for the Bulldogs. State led 1-0 until the Rebels put up 3 runs in the 6th. Ole Miss then extended the lead by 2 more in the 7th to arrive at the final score, a 5-1 Rebel victory and series win.

The Sunday game was truly a game for the books. State got on the board first by claiming a 1-0 lead. The Rebels tied the game up in the 5th with 1 run. That was the last time either team would score in the regular 9 innings, so the teams with to extra innings. Nathan Baker fought the first
7.0 innings before giving way to Cody Satterwhite. Cody had an amazing outing that day going 9.0 innings giving up only 3 hits and 0 runs and faced only 31 batters in his 9 innings. Finally he gave way to Scott Bittle who pitched the final 1.0 inning. The 5 hour, 17 inning affair finally came to an end when State scored 3 runs in the top of the 17th inning. Ole Miss was unable to answer and State won the marathon game 4-1.

All-Time Series: All-time series record was not immediately available.

Projected Starter:
Friday: LHP Forrest Moore - 6.57 ERA; 1-1; 2 Starts; 12.1 IP; 14 H; 9 R; 9 ER; 8BB; 16K

I don't have Saturday's and Sunday's starters, but I would expect to see two of these:
LHP Justin Pigott - 3.79 ERA; 2-1; 3 Starts; 19.0 IP; 19 H; 8 R; 8 ER; 6BB; 25K
RHP Chad Crosswhite - 13.50 ERA; 0-2; 3 Starts; 10.2 IP; 16 H; 16 R; 16 ER; 9BB; 8K
RHP Ricky Bowen - 10.20 ERA; 1-2; 3 Starts; 15.0 IP; 21 H; 17 R; 17 ER; 9BB; 14K

Other notes:

First pitch is set for 3:00 pm Friday, 6:00 pm Saturday, and 1:30 pm Sunday. Sunday's game will be televised by Comcast Sports.

This is the first time since 1989 that the Bulldogs and Rebels have opened conference play against each other. It's also the earliest the two teams have met in the season since 1989. DH Jason Nappi has hit safely in 13 of State's first 14 games including a 10 game streak at one time. SS Russ Sneed has also hit safely in 13 of State's 14 games. OF Grant Hogue (lead-off hitter) has an 11 game hit streak going right now AND he has 12 stolen bases this season which leads the SEC. On the good guy's side Cody Overbeck is hitting a .452 and ranks second in the SEC with 28 hits. The Rebel pitching staff has a 2.85 staff ERA and their 151 strikeouts lead the SEC.
GO REBELS!!!
felicianareb
2nd String
2nd String

What kind of coverage are we getting for this game? Radio? gametracker that doesn't work? All of lthe above?
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

I tried the 'radio' icon and it sent me to the video or audio subscription page. Is this not working?
felicianareb
2nd String
2nd String

Redbluedude wrote:I tried the 'radio' icon and it sent me to the video or audio subscription page. Is this not working?
I got the same thing. Tried State's site and got the same thing too. I can't get radio and the gamewatcher does not work for me although it did work several games back.
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

By what I understand all games have subscription audio from this point on, no free audio.

Right now Henry drew a lead-off walk and Miller got a 1 RBI double in the gap with no outs.

Ole Miss 1
MSU 0

No outs top of 1st.

Like I said, we MUST score early!!
GO REBELS!!!
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

felicianareb wrote:
Redbluedude wrote:I tried the 'radio' icon and it sent me to the video or audio subscription page. Is this not working?
I got the same thing. Tried State's site and got the same thing too. I can't get radio and the gamewatcher does not work for me although it did work several games back.
Yep, Gametracker not working either. Wonder if the change of time has anything to do with it?
mmoore313
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

its on the radio affiliates. here in jackson at least.
Oh, I wish I was in the land of cotton... Old times they are not forgotten.
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Overbeck strikes out for the first out, but the ball got away from the catcher to move Miller to 3rd. The catcher still got Overbeck on the throw down to 1st. One away, man at 3rd.

Guerrero gets a sack fly to score Miller. Two away, bases empty.

Power grounds out to SS, 6-3.

Mid 1st:

Rebels 2
Puppies 0
GO REBELS!!!
felicianareb
2nd String
2nd String

oxfordrebel wrote:By what I understand all games have subscription audio from this point on, no free audio.

Right now Henry drew a lead-off walk and Miller got a 1 RBI double in the gap with no outs.

Ole Miss 1
MSU 0

No outs top of 1st.

Like I said, we MUST score early!!
Thanks for the update. By default, you are my gametracker.
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

I'll be here until 5 pm, so I'll try to keep the updates on it.
GO REBELS!!!
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

First pitch is a line out to Miller. Score it 4 unassisted. One away.

Pop up to shallow right on a 1-0 pitch. 9 unassisted. Two away.

Ground out to Miller at 2nd on a 1-1 count, 4-3. 6 pitches for Lance, 1-2-3 go the Bulldogs.

After 1 complete:

Rebels 2
Pups 0
GO REBELS!!!
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Thanks. You would think that here in Memphis one would be able to get Ole Miss Baseball. It's on a station here 96.1 but I'm in Midtown and have never been able to pick it up. It is a VERY WEAK station.

Horrible.
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

I'm going to try cautious optimism for this game. I tend to get a little emotional when I pour everything into it.

3-0 start to the game, very nice. 8)
L. S. WHO?
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Henry another RBI and then a balk to score Bash.

Rebs up 5-0 still one out in the 2nd.
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

My cautious optimism is working. I like it. 8)
L. S. WHO?