Looking ahead

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Normally this comes up at the end of the year, but I was kinda thinking about it and how much seniority we have on this team, so who will we loose this year? What does replacement look like?

Seniors:

Fuller Smith - Fuller has been hit and miss his whole career and that's why he never really got solid PT until recently he's been drawing the DH start pretty regularly. Still, he's been clutch at times and we'll still miss him.

Kyle Mills - Another guys who hasn't ever seen solid PT, but he's also been clutch at the plate. I'd like to see him get more ABs in pinch hitting roles this year. I think he could be a big part of some wins left this season.

Thomas Flautt - Only pitched once or twice.

Juniors:

Cody Satterwhite - Could be drafted this year. His ERA, while not great for the SEC, is attractive for a minor league club. And he is a good pitcher. He's struggled some this season, but he has all the stuff the pros are looking for. I think he's gone after this season.

Logan Power - A possible draftee. Not sure, could go either way.

Cody Overbeck - If the hit streak continues and he continues to play great at 3rd then I think he's drafted this year.

Lance Lynn - Is there any doubt? Drafted.

Michael Hubbard - Has seen limited PT this year after getting a lot of starts early. Think he could be a threat as the DH. His JUCO career was really solid and I know he's already got the eye of pro scouts. Not sure, but wouldn't be surprised if he was drafted.

Michael Guerrero - Son of an MLB player and is having a good year. Had a good JUCO career also. Like Hubbard, wouldn't be surprised if he was drafted.

Evan Button - Will be eligible for the draft, but I would lean toward him not going this year. I think he'll be back unless something happens.

Brett Bukvich - Battling injury and hasn't seen but 2 or 3 appearances this year in mid-week. I think he'll be back unless something happens.

Scott Bittle - If he continues to pitch the way he has been thus far I think he's drafted. I could also see where he might not be. Tough to tell.

Brett Basham - Has a good mind for the game and is a good catcher. Doesn't have a great arm, but he has thrown a few out at 2nd and 3rd. Struggles at the plate but when he gets hot he's dangerous. I think he'll be back, but could be drafted.

Sean Stuyverson - Just hasn't done as well this year. Don't think he'll be drafted.

I don't know what will happen in the end. I've watched guys who I thought were sure draft choices and they end up back for the Sr. year. I've seen other guys who I thought wouldn't be mentioned at all in the draft and they're picked up right away, so who really knows in the end. If all or most of these guys are gone after this season we're going to face a tough rebuilding year next year. If they all go you lose 2/3 of your weekend rotation, starting DH, starting catcher, starting SS, starting 3B, starting LF, and starting CF. That's 6/9 of the starting lineup. Matt Smith, Zach Miller, and Jordan Henry are all that's left. But Bianco has always been good at getting talent from the JUCO ranks, and I'm sure not ALL of them will go, so we'll see. I do think we'll lose both Lynn and Satterwhite this year which will hurt.
GO REBELS!!!