Conference USA, anyone?

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

fastbrk4
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

I posted this under another thread too but after writing it I thought I'd throw this out there for the Memphis Tigers' fans and critics.

"Ole Miss could be like Memphis--just change conferences--SEC to "Conference America" as I like to call it. Beat a bunch of losers and you're in. Take Auburn or Georgia and put them in C-USA and they would be 2nd in the conference and competing for an NCAA bid!!! Memphis would have lost 5 or 6 games in the SEC this year and would have been 2nd at best in the conference giving them a 4 or 5 seed. Mississippi State should have beaten them Sunday and it's funny how D. Rose looks when Gordon is popping 3's in his face from 24'. Also Hansborough taking CDR to the rack time after time is nice too. Memphis' "athletes" look good against high school competition but put them against TN or MSU and suddenly they look a little slower. Michigan St will give them hell too and probably win, and this is not a great Michigan St team."
RebelBond
Scout Team
Scout Team

That's all well and good but we could not beat a crappy Auburn team oo a mediocre South Carolina at our place. We did not sweep LSU and probably should have swept Bama.
Memphis is winning their NCAA tourney games. I think we would have been out first round. Hell, Nebraska almost beat us at our place. The Nebraska game should not have been close, we should have run them out of the gym.

RebelBond
www.bigfoamyhead.com

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and it annoys the pig.
- Paul Dickson
done

and Memphis would be a helluva team regardless of conference. Good coach, terrific athletes...they would compete at a very high level in the SEC in basketball and be one of the top two or three teams each year easily...
USCrebel
2nd String
2nd String

Rebchuck18 wrote:and Memphis would be a helluva team regardless of conference. Good coach, terrific athletes...they would compete at a very high level in the SEC in basketball and be one of the top two or three teams each year easily...
I don't know if they would be in the top three EVERY year. I think they are food because able to play in a league that gives them a little competition, but never really pushes them. It is almost like having 18 practice games to prepare for the 8 REAL teams that you play. Calipari is able to rest guys. Against Mississippi State, his starters averaged 30 mins of playing time, with Rose and Anderson getting 39 and 36 mins respectively. Against, USM, TUL, HOU, UCF & UTEP, they average 22 minutes with Rose and Anderson playing 32 and 26 minutes.

Across an SEC season, Cal would have fewer second and third string guys on the court and it would show in his having one or two very good seasons, followed by two or three mediocre seasons. Think about it this way, during the stretch where Parnell was out and we had virtually NO defense, if we had been in Conference USA, we probably would have won most of those games. Parnell would have rested and recovered in time for the NCAA's and we would be headed to the Round of 16 at this point.

Don't get me wrong, I think MEM is a good team, but I think that they benefit from a conference that allows them to work on details during the regular season.
It's not insane to suggest that the Rebels have the best defensive line in college football.
----- Foxsports power ranking OM at #14
done

USCrebel wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:and Memphis would be a helluva team regardless of conference. Good coach, terrific athletes...they would compete at a very high level in the SEC in basketball and be one of the top two or three teams each year easily...
I don't know if they would be in the top three EVERY year. I think they are food because able to play in a league that gives them a little competition, but never really pushes them. It is almost like having 18 practice games to prepare for the 8 REAL teams that you play. Calipari is able to rest guys. Against Mississippi State, his starters averaged 30 mins of playing time, with Rose and Anderson getting 39 and 36 mins respectively. Against, USM, TUL, HOU, UCF & UTEP, they average 22 minutes with Rose and Anderson playing 32 and 26 minutes.

Across an SEC season, Cal would have fewer second and third string guys on the court and it would show in his having one or two very good seasons, followed by two or three mediocre seasons. Think about it this way, during the stretch where Parnell was out and we had virtually NO defense, if we had been in Conference USA, we probably would have won most of those games. Parnell would have rested and recovered in time for the NCAA's and we would be headed to the Round of 16 at this point.

Don't get me wrong, I think MEM is a good team, but I think that they benefit from a conference that allows them to work on details during the regular season.
I agree with the contenton that we would had more success in CUSA, but I do think that Memphis is a d*** good team that would have been good regardless of their conference. As a matter of fact I think playing in a weaker conferenc kept them from pushing themselves to their potential. That is why I think the TN loss was actually a good thing for their tourney preparation. I think they would be in the top two or three in the SEC, because right now, we don't have one dominant program (Florida had a run with a great mix of players) and I think Calapari recruits good enough talent to compete at that level each year.

But hey what do I know, I picked USC and Coach Floyd to be in the Final Four and I am just counting the days until kickoff 8)
dgmcdowe
2nd String
2nd String

I think that Calipari has the recruiting advantage of being able to show off his wins, but that only goes so far. It is a step up, but not a free ride...because the big dance just shows how unstable the "bcs conferences" are.

Seriously...Davidson? the Atlantic Ten?

That's what makes Basketball so exciting. Talent Depth in EVERY conference.
fastbrk4
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

RebelBond wrote:That's all well and good but we could not beat a crappy Auburn team oo a mediocre South Carolina at our place. We did not sweep LSU and probably should have swept Bama.
Memphis is winning their NCAA tourney games. I think we would have been out first round. Hell, Nebraska almost beat us at our place. The Nebraska game should not have been close, we should have run them out of the gym.

RebelBond
RebelBond,
Last time I checked Auburn, SC, Auburn, and LSU are in the SEC. Go back and read what I wrote. Any of those teams would be 2nd in Conference USA. You are proving my point.

If you want to go A+B=C then we beat Mississippi State by 11 and Mississippi State lost to Memphis by 3 so we are on the same level as Memphis--yeah right, of course we aren't, but what I'm saying is we would be dancing right now had we been in Conference USA and each year we'd have a good chance to beat Memphis in Oxford. They are not that good, you have been brainwashed by Calipari, the record, and the media. They are somewhere between 10th and 20th best team in the nation probably. That would translate to a 3-5 seed in the tournament if they played a real schedule. In turn they would have to play a real team in Round 1 instead of getting a 1st round bye each year playing a 16. They barely scratched by past Round 1 so far this yr and last. Another point--I'd rate 9 of the 12 SEC schools frontcourts ahead of Dozier and Dorsey. That's right...9. Memphis has great guards but their frontcourt is nothing special at all.

Calipari makes me sick to my stomach every time he opens his mouth. Last year after Tennessee destroyed them in Knoxville, he said it was "their game of the year", "they put it all on that game", and so on. Tennessee didn't give a *beep* about Memphis. They played the 2-time national champs twice--F-L-O-R-I-D-A. Then he whines this year that "we were every team's Super Bowl"--are you kidding me? If Northwest CC were to play high schools then every game would be like the Super Bowl to the high school teams too.
OMNOB
2nd String
2nd String

fastbrk4 wrote:
RebelBond wrote:That's all well and good but we could not beat a crappy Auburn team oo a mediocre South Carolina at our place. We did not sweep LSU and probably should have swept Bama.

RebelBond
RebelBond,
Last time I checked Auburn, SC, Auburn, and LSU are in the SEC. Go back and read what I wrote. Any of those teams would be 2nd in Conference USA. You are proving my point.

If you want to go A+B=C then we beat Mississippi State by 11 and Mississippi State lost to Memphis by 3 so we are on the same level as Memphis--yeah right, of course we aren't, but what I'm saying is we would be dancing right now had we been in Conference USA and each year we'd have a good chance to beat Memphis in Oxford. They are not that good, you have been brainwashed by Calipari, the record, and the media. They are somewhere between 10th and 20th best team in the nation probably. That would translate to a 3-5 seed in the tournament if they played a real schedule. In turn they would have to play a real team in Round 1 instead of getting a 1st round bye each year playing a 16. They barely scratched by past Round 1 so far this yr and last. Another point--I'd rate 9 of the 12 SEC schools frontcourts ahead of Dozier and Dorsey. That's right...9. Memphis has great guards but their frontcourt is nothing special at all.

Calipari makes me sick to my stomach every time he opens his mouth. Last year after Tennessee destroyed them in Knoxville, he said it was "their game of the year", "they put it all on that game", and so on. Tennessee didn't give a *beep* about Memphis. They played the 2-time national champs twice--F-L-O-R-I-D-A. Then he whines this year that "we were every team's Super Bowl"--are you kidding me? If Northwest CC were to play high schools then every game would be like the Super Bowl to the high school teams too.
You have said it all man....you have said it all....
"America is the New York Yankees of countries,powerful and respected until the year 2000"-Homer Simpson
dgmcdowe
2nd String
2nd String

I don't think i've ever read a post so fueled with emotion.

I could hear the inflection in it.