KENNEDY IN OVER HIS HEAD

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

RebelBond
Scout Team
Scout Team

This latest game and others this year should let people know AK has a long way to go to being a SEC head coach.
Man that display of basketball tonight sucked out loud.

Rebelbond
www.bigfoamyhead.com

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and it annoys the pig.
- Paul Dickson
MtownRebel
3rd String
3rd String

Kenndy?? How about our players effing blew. Kennedy put us in a position to make plays all night with his calls we just could not finish. Did you see the rotation by our "AMAZING" seniors down low on defense? They're a joke!

This game was no AK's fault it was all on the players. We had 20 turnovers, most of which came in the first half and shot miserably in the first half. Kennedy tried to fix the problem with substitutions but no one would respond for him. Call me out if you want, I don't care, but this does not have anything to do with AK being in over his head.
dgmcdowe
2nd String
2nd String

MTown on the spot, RebelBond-so NOT.
Goroth

MtownRebel wrote:Kenndy?? How about our players effing blew. Kennedy put us in a position to make plays all night with his calls we just could not finish. Did you see the rotation by our "AMAZING" seniors down low on defense? They're a joke!

This game was no AK's fault it was all on the players. We had 20 turnovers, most of which came in the first half and shot miserably in the first half. Kennedy tried to fix the problem with substitutions but no one would respond for him. Call me out if you want, I don't care, but this does not have anything to do with AK being in over his head.
I am with you on it and I think we still have a bright future in basketball as long as AK is here. Anyone want to go back to 4 lossing seasons in a row? Won't happen with AK.
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

The first half we could do NO right. Bad passes, poor shots, dribbling off the foot, turnovers, we could not get a rebound (how many long rebounds did OSU get?) it reminded me of the first Auburn game. Another thing was that OSU played really good defense the first half. They had tall guys up front guarding Warren and he's had trouble playing against tall, athletic guards. We could not get the ball down low and when we did, many times it was blocked.

We played much better the 2nd half. We went on a 19-5 run and we were still down by 11 or 12. OSU had better players all the way around than we did. Next year we will be ok but we won't have much experience under the board, we'll struggle again next year.

I would have never thought that we would have done as well as we did before the season started. We lost 3 solid and experienced players last year. The undefeated start may have suckered us all in. I'm proud of all the guys, coaches and players. Hopefully, we'll put it all together in a year or two. We don't have all the hosses in place just yeat.
RebelBond
Scout Team
Scout Team

Why did we play so poorly in the beginning? It was because we were unprepared. We looked like we had never seen a basketball before. Kennedy made adjustments at the half but Ohio State had throttled it way back and played a prevent.

We were not prepared and that is coaching.

RebelBond
www.bigfoamyhead.com

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and it annoys the pig.
- Paul Dickson
GtownRebel
All American
All American

No, the February Rebs played in the first half by standing around and watching the other team play. The March team came to play in the second half but after giving the other team a 24 point lead, it was too much to overcome.

Blame everyone on the team for this poor performance. Good players can play through this, and defense is a gut check...neither did I see in the first half. The only benefit I had from not being there was I could look at something else in the first half other than the "invasion of the body snatchers" version of the Ole Miss BB team in the first half. Maybe we will have some low post players next year that can make a layup or get a rebound. If not, it will not be pretty.
CrossroadsReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

RebelBond wrote:Why did we play so poorly in the beginning? It was because we were unprepared. We looked like we had never seen a basketball before. Kennedy made adjustments at the half but Ohio State had throttled it way back and played a prevent.

We were not prepared and that is coaching.

RebelBond
I've coached HS basketball for 23 years and I can tell you for a fact that some games you come in feeling that you are as prepared as you can possibly be...only to be proven wrong by the way the game transpires. That, my friend, is called fate...which, in this case, was in the hands of 18-to-21 year-olds. (even worse in HS with hormonal teens) Our society, mainly because of mouthy TV "anal"ists, have become too quick to give blame and credit to coaches based on one game. It's a game...remember that. No one, coming into this season, would have ever thought that we would have performed as well as we did considering the losses from last years team. AK should be commended for not only his coaching, but for what he saw in those Freshmen that others in recruiting circles didn't see.
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!"
done

I still think the "spurts" are a result of the undisciplined style of play. Live by the sword die by the sword. Ole' , wave the cape, defense even when we got close near the end. I don't think we can expect discipline from our players when the style of play doesn't dictate it.

We will win some games on athleticism with this style and we will probably not have many losing seasons....but I don't think we will win games that count big.

But as long as we get football back on track and the basketball team doesn't have losing seasons AK will be fine.
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebchuck18 wrote:I still think the "spurts" are a result of the undisciplined style of play. Live by the sword die by the sword. Ole' , wave the cape, defense even when we got close near the end. I don't think we can expect discipline from our players when the style of play doesn't dictate it.

We will win some games on athleticism with this style and we will probably not have many losing seasons....but I don't think we will win games that count big.

But as long as we get football back on track and the basketball team doesn't have losing seasons AK will be fine.
I haven't had the privilage of watching many games, but the few I have seen, I agree with Chuck and believe he has been spot on all season. This team is extremely undisciplined and IMO that comes from the top. AK will probably turn out to be wonderful coach, but from what I have seen and read this year a lot of the problems fall at his feet more than I would have liked.

NOTE: I am not a basketball expert by any means, so take above comments for FWIW!
Randy
felicianareb
2nd String
2nd String

Rebchuck18 wrote:I still think the "spurts" are a result of the undisciplined style of play. Live by the sword die by the sword. Ole' , wave the cape, defense even when we got close near the end. I don't think we can expect discipline from our players when the style of play doesn't dictate it.

I'm with you on this one Chuck. I like Kennedy and he's certainly an improvement over what came before but I've seen two glaring problems with his teams: Repeated lack of discipline and NO defense. This is why we've had such a small number of road wins the last two years. It takes discipline to win on the road. Up-tempo is fine but you still have to play defense. I never felt like this team got any better over the course of the year. Warren and Huertas improved some in individual play. I'm proud of the tournament run they made, but we saw the team revert to the old pattern last night.
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

I agree with Mtown as well, I think our guys just came out too uptight and too wide eyed. They were probably as "prepared" as they could possibly be for the team they were playing. I believe that AK had a game plan worked out, and had we been able to actually PLAY basketball last night, we would have had a decent shot at a win. But lack of experience, playing tight and making mistakes took us out of the game early.

I put this one on 75% team, 25% coach.
L. S. WHO?
done

I want to reiterate that I am not talking about AK's coaching ability...I am talking about the style of play that he has chosen. I think that any coach that wins 24 ball games at Ole Miss right now is doing a heckuva job. I just personally don't see us winning big games consistently with the lack of discipline that this style of play somewhat encourages. Maybe if you have the studs that Memphis has...but not many teams have that and when they do that talent is usually one and done.

Again, I don't know as much about basketball as many of you, but I have watched enough of it to know what has cost us in our crucial losses. We lose our poise, our discipline and our cool, turn the ball over, and we don't play defense. And I think that is just as much a byproduct of the style of play or maybe even moreso than the inidividual players or the coaching decisions on a given night.
GtownRebel
All American
All American

I don't agree with you on this. We had two different type players and one year doesn't change body types and allow for a cohesive offense or defense. With the personal he had he wasn't able to play what he has in the past...an up tempo game. Our big guys, as much as I like them personally, couldn't run the floor consistently and play defense at the same time. Our 1, 2, and 3 positions were athletic enough to run an up tempo game, but with the 4 & 5 positions being slower, it forced more pressure on the 1, 2, and 3 players. On offense since we had a center that struggled to dunk the ball much less react to helping on the weak side for defense...just slow reactions, we were not up to playing against a 7’ player. A half court offense basically was lowered to a weave out front and penetration up the middle by a small point guard or a wing player that dribbled it off every part of his body and yet scored when he penetrated most of the season. I think Kennedy did an outstanding job with what he had this year which was a mixture of quickness and slowness. If I had been coaching, I would have been bald and drunk considering you never knew who would show up.

As far as the game Tuesday, I am disappointed in the first half because I never thought it could look that bad. But honestly in thinking back to the situation, how many of you have ever been in Madison Square Gardens? Not outside of MSG but actually inside? It is an awesome place just to visit much less play a game in it. I think our kids were awe struck even though they had practiced in it the day before. Come game time they were still looking at the situation of playing there against a good team and not playing the game they know how to play. And no one stopped the bleeding in the first half like in games past so it was ugly. When you have to depend on a freshman point guard, a sophomore at the #2 and a freshman at #3, it is tough and we paid the price for youthfulness. Our seniors should have stood up and took control of the game but for some reason they were awe struck too and not in the game. In fact several times I saw all 3 big men standing around as a shot was made and not moving into position to rebound in the first half. That is not AK ball if you have looked back to the teams he has been associated with in the past.

Basically, it was a poor 1st half and a good 2nd half equaling to elimination when playing in the Final 4 of any tournament. Kennedy did an outstanding job and the team was the 2nd highest winning team in Ole Miss’s history, so it can’t be considered a poor season. Expectations need to be curved in the future to not being un-realistic IMHO.
done

I don't think we were saying it was a poor season. In fact I said that winning 24 games is a heckuva coaching job. That is not my question. My question is can this style win us any champinionships (SEC, NCAA, NIT whatever).

I will certainly defer to your basketball knowledge and you may be absolutely right. I am just saying that it appears that AK more or less accepts the sloppy play and turnovers and poor defense as a byproduct of the run and gun style. Even Calipari at Memphis has said that he doesn't care about his team's free throws, he is going to outscore you anyway. And if you have studs like Memphis, that may work. We will find out this weekend.

But in general I don't think that philosophy, that style will win big games that count. As far as our big men, I hesitate to think where we would have been in many of our wins this year without their presence inside. And I think that if we would have gone to them quicker and more often, we might have won some of those crucial games that we lost.

But job well done for AK. 24 wins is a successful season no matter how you slice it and good enough for an Ole Miss Basketball Coach. But we did underperform in an SEC conference that was down this year. I think that AK would admit that himself. I just want to see if the style can win those crucial games. We will see soon enough next year.

It's all good.