Marshay Green?

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

moved to CB? are we that loaded at receiver...or just don't need receivers in our running game?

seriously...if we can afford that switch...that's prolly good news in itself.
BigTrev34
All SEC
All SEC

We can. We are stacked at wr. Mike Wallace, Lionel Breaux, Shay Hodge, Dexter McCluster, Markeith Summers.

Hodge and Wallace will be the top 2. Hodge is very reliable and Mike Wallace is a great deep threat.
OMNOB
2nd String
2nd String

I hope that this is not true because if it is, I become ever weary of Nutt and staff. Now I say this as I sit in my just adaquate home, working my adaquate job, driving my adaquate car, but Marshay?? Really?? (instead of Coaching an SEC football team)

In my most humble opinion he his better served as a wide out, at least in the top three (McCluster, Summers, Green) that we have on campus. If someone had told me that Hodge was being looked at for a corner position, I don't know that I would be wild about it, but I would cringe and give the benefit of the doubt to such a thing. But Marshay?? Really?

Gimme Breaux (love that name), gimme Hodge, gimme Hicks, don't gimme Marshay...
"America is the New York Yankees of countries,powerful and respected until the year 2000"-Homer Simpson
MtownRebel
3rd String
3rd String

If you guys would go to practice you'd see why Marshay made the switch. He's tearing it up at corner.
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

I like taking a look at Marshay at CB. He's very athletic and fast and we need SPEED in the secondary. Also, he can catch, we've had very few INT's over the last couple of years and if he jumps a route and makes a pick, it will be 6.

Also, we are in good shape at WR's and WR's with good size, Wallace, Hicks, Hodge, Breaux (all 6 ft or better) and McCluster. Then we have the guys coming in this fall, the 2 Harris kids, one's 6-2 the other 6-6 and the Williams kid from Oxford (6-2).

We need some help in the defensive backfield and Marshay and Magee could help and the Spring is a great time to give them a look.

Also, Green did not have a ton of catches last year for about 250 yards, so he was not utilized much in our offense. Looked it up and he had 31 catches for 260 yards and no TD's.
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

So he's fast, but will he turn his head and look for the ball? :lol:

Personally I like the idea of WRs converting to CB. I don't know beans about coaching, but it makes sense in my feeble mind (maybe all wrong) that if you're used to catching a ball with someone trying to stop you then you can turn that around and catch the ball with someone trying to stop you going the other way. The only difference is, one's called a reception and one's called an INT.
GO REBELS!!!
GtownRebel
All American
All American

HE is learning the position and has a lot of potential to be a very good CB and move to the next level at this position. He is excited about the switch and since he has experience at WR, it gives him an advantage knowing what the WR are thinking in certain situations. And he is fast. Only thing that is a question is his tackling ability, but apparently he is doing well since he is running with the #1 defense.
rrlynch
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

oxfordrebel wrote: Personally I like the idea of WRs converting to CB. I don't know beans about coaching, but it makes sense in my feeble mind (maybe all wrong) that if you're used to catching a ball with someone trying to stop you then you can turn that around and catch the ball with someone trying to stop you going the other way. The only difference is, one's called a reception and one's called an INT.
You have a good point. A lot of corners are more or less WR's with mediocre catching skills and a lot of WR's are corners who aren't very good tacklers.

The positions are (somewhat) interchangeable.
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

rrlynch wrote:
oxfordrebel wrote: Personally I like the idea of WRs converting to CB. I don't know beans about coaching, but it makes sense in my feeble mind (maybe all wrong) that if you're used to catching a ball with someone trying to stop you then you can turn that around and catch the ball with someone trying to stop you going the other way. The only difference is, one's called a reception and one's called an INT.
You have a good point. A lot of corners are more or less WR's with mediocre catching skills and a lot of WR's are corners who aren't very good tacklers.

The positions are (somewhat) interchangeable.
I'm sure there's more to it that that, but still, it makes SOMEWHAT sense. But I'm not a coach either.

BTW, why don't you see any two way players in college? HS it's common to see a WR who's also a DB or a FB/TE who also plays LB. I understand you have more players and more talent in college so you don't have to, but you'd figure that you'd at least see some guys who play both offense and defense in select sets. Maybe they focus on just one position just to dial in the skills so they have a chance at the draft later? I don't know...
GO REBELS!!!
OMNOB
2nd String
2nd String

Champ Bailey played both WR and DB at Georgia. And if memory serves me correctly (which could be a strecth) I believe that he took quite a few snaps at the QB position as well.
"America is the New York Yankees of countries,powerful and respected until the year 2000"-Homer Simpson
BigTrev34
All SEC
All SEC

MtownRebel wrote:If you guys would go to practice you'd see why Marshay made the switch. He's tearing it up at corner.
Good to hear. We got plenty of wideouts that are better. McCluster was getting time over him last yr when he was healthy so its fine.
CoastRebel48
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

I have no problem with the switch. My philosophy as a coach is that you put your best athletes on the defensive side of the ball. Of course, I am a defensive coach, so I could be slightly biased. However, this does strengthen a suspect secondary if it works out. At the very least it creates depth for a position that lacks it.

With all due respect and with my bias blatantly on display, I think WR are a dime a dozen, but good to great cover men, well they are rare indeed. So, if Marshay is that cover corner and with the depth we already have at WR, I say this is a very good personnel move.
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.
Euripides
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Sorry to jump in this so late but I think its a GREAT move. I am of the mindset you have to get your best athletes on the field any way you can. I really dont think its any kind of stretch or wild experiment to play him at corner. His size and speed really make him a logical fit at corner. He is a poor mans Mccluster as far as playing WR.. Mccluster and Wallace will both get more looks in the passing game, so why not move him to corner?? I am sure he will still return kicks and punts. I am very confident he will be one of the best corners we have had in a while. He will probably be the best NFL prospect we have had at corner since Ken Lucas.
BigTrev34
All SEC
All SEC

Rebchuck18 wrote:I like the move.
Good move and now we will se how good M Summers is.