NCAA Regionals Speculation/Thoughts

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

oxfordrebel
All American
All American

I firmly believe that we clinched a NCAA Regional spot with the win over UGA Wednesday night, despite what the Kentucky coach had to say. The win over UK put more fuel on the fire and made the resume that much better.

Here's the next speculation, and I can't believe I'm even considering it. Could Ole Miss back themselves into HOSTING a Regional? Most of the top 20 RPIs have lost once or been eliminated completely from their conference tourney which also strengthens our case.

I look at Arkansas last year. They hosted a Regional even though they were the #2 seed in their own Regional. But their attendance records and revenue generation was always so great that the NCAA still decided to hold a Regional in Fayetteville. Look at Ole Miss. Consistently the Oxford Regional is one of the best attended and supported regional in the country year after year. Could Ole Miss possibly end up as a #2 seed in their own regional?

I could also see a situation where Ole Miss could possibly end up as a #1 seed in their own Regional (against 3 slightly lesser opponents), OR as the #1 seed in a regional hosted by a slightly lesser opponent in a bigger market.

Now, I'm not saying that I think we'll host a Regional because in all honesty I don't think we will, nor do we really deserve to. But it's a fun thought. Another big minus in our column though is the fact that our stadium is fairly well torn up right at the moment from construction. It would lower attendance at an Oxford Regional this season if there were one.
GO REBELS!!!
RichmondVAReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

and just maybe that will happen because our attendance has been so remarkable over the years.

I see where Larry Templeton is chairman of the NCAA selection committee for this year's regional and super regional selections. It will be interesting to see what selections are made this year.
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

If we win the SEC tourney good chance at #1 seed and host, If we make it to champ game, and lose, maybe 2 seed but host. If we lose tomorrow twice, then 2 seed somewhere else.

My reasoning is that this team has to prove to the committee that it can sustain a decent run over some quality competition, not just have a great game here and there.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
Valley_Reb
Water Boy
Water Boy

we get a #1 seed period! Maybe we host as a #2 if we win the SECT, but most likely, we'll be on the road as a #2.