Ole Miss-Vandy

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

oxfordrebel
All American
All American

We need a win in this game this morning to move to the SEC Tourney Champ. Game.

Cody Satterwhite gave up a homer to Vandy's lead-off (David Macias), but managed to get out of the inning. Need to answer.
GO REBELS!!!
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Satterwhite went 1.1 innings. With runners at 1 and 3 in the 2nd, Satterwhite calls the Ole Miss trainer and doctor out to just behind the mound. Bianco and the home plate ump talk and Rory McKean comes in to pitch. He's getting extended time to warm as this will be an "injury" relief.

The trainer and team doctor never looked at his hand or anything. He was laboring on the mound and after every batter he would walk behind the mound and take a deep breath.

Report now is that he is sick. Hope he feels better and possibly come back in relief tomorrow if needed.
GO REBELS!!!
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

McKean loads the bases before giving up a 2 RBI single in the 3rd. Runners 1st and 2nd no outs. Cryer warming up. Yeah, he'll help you out... :roll:
GO REBELS!!!
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

McKean gives up a 1 RBI double and McKean is done. Went 0.2 innings and gave up 3 runs (2 earned, I think...)

Cryer comes in.

Top of 3rd, runners 2nd and 3rd, no outs:

Rebels 2
'Dores 5
GO REBELS!!!
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

This is starting to feel like last year's Saturday Game 1.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

1st out of the 3rd is a sac hit to score the runner at 3rd. Runner at 2nd, one out.

Balk called on Cryer, runner moves to 3rd.

RBI single and the bleeding WILL NOT STOP! Runner at 1st, still only 1 out. That was the last runner on base belonging to McKean, so McKean did NOT have a good day at all.

Strikeout for 2nd out.

A strikeout and that mercifully ends the inning. Vandy blew it WIDE open with a 5 run 3rd.

Middle of 3rd:

Rebels 2
'Dores 7
GO REBELS!!!
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

olemsdave76 wrote:This is starting to feel like last year's Saturday Game 1.
Well, one good thing about getting mercy rulled in this game (and it look like it's headed there quickly) is that you don't burn any more pitchers to get to the next game.

Vandy is already on my list for baseball. If they sweep us today like they did last year on that Saturday I'll be completely PO-ed.

See, I told y'all we needed SC to beat Vandy yesterday. They already hate us and would love nothing more than to destroy us two straight game en route to the Champ. Game.
GO REBELS!!!
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

Why can't Smith lay off the high ones? I know he has a lot of confidence in his bat, but he has struck out on that pitch at least 20 times this season.
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

olemsdave76 wrote:Why can't Smith lay off the high ones? I know he has a lot of confidence in his bat, but he has struck out on that pitch at least 20 times this season.
Cause that high one, especially the high fastball, is just do dern tempting!

After 5 complete:

Rebels 4
'Dores 7

Cryer is doing a really good job so far. (I'm surprised, but happy!)
GO REBELS!!!
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

Yeah, gotta give up for Cryer. Excellent job thus far; giving us a chance.

I wonder what that Vandy coach actually said b/c even the ump admonished him.
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Cryer ran in front of the Vandy runner and both TV and radio seem to think the Vandy 1st base coach basically told Cryer to "get in the dugout".

Talk to your own players, talk to the coaches, talk to the umps, but DON'T talk to opposing players. That's pretty much what he was warned with.
GO REBELS!!!
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Matt Smith is playing like a pro. Smith knocks the hard grounder down and it scoots away from him. He stayed with it, grabbed it, didn't panic, got set, and threw to Cryer covering first. A lot of veteran guys would panic and over throw it or something to put that runner on, but Smith takes his time knowing he had it and made the play. Mad props. That Freshman has grown up well this season.

Wonder how he would do at SS?
GO REBELS!!!
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Holy cow. Vandy got the double play in the 8th. Watching the replays I really think they turned a 5-4-3 triple play, but the ump at 1st gave Smith the bag.

How much more could possibly go wrong for the Rebels in this one?!?!?!?!

Strikeout and we fail to score after getting the first two on in the 8th.

After 8 complete:

Rebels 4
'Dores 7
GO REBELS!!!
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

Great Punchout by Cryer
Still alive, but even if the bottom of the 9th doesn't go in our favor, the pitching staff will be in great shape; even McKean and Satterwhite, if his tummy ache goes away (get him some Pepto), will be available.

Take away that error by Ferguson in the third, and all things staying equal, this would be a completely different game.
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Well, I've been on Cryer's case this season, but credit where credit is due. Justin is ON today. We were absolutely reeling on the mound and he came in and has kept it right where it was. No runs on Cryer's watch. Excellent, excellent job.

Rebels are down to 3 outs. Need 3 runs to force extra innings. 4 runs will win it. HERE WE GO REBELS, HERE WE GO *CLAP**CLAP*
GO REBELS!!!