hm... after a second look

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

MtownRebel wrote:
rebelliousb wrote:we win six (and that's winning one we really shouldn't...I don't know which one), unless we get lucky and win the first four. Should we win the first four, we could beat FL and win 8...but I even if we did go 5-0, we won't win nine. we've hung with them all...except WF and we didn't play them last year.
Florida? Really?
We could have beat Florida last time with no coach. I'm just saying if we somehow (and I don't expect it) go 4-0...our guys will sweat adrenaline in the swamp. They have Tebow, more depth and a little better secondary...but that's all I give em. If Tebow wins another Heisman against us, Powe didn't make it.
TulsaReb
Banned

Hagar wrote:at our schedule... I have come to the realization that... well... given any luck that we can beat Wake Forest's Spread offense I will have to say anything less than 8 wins this year is going to be a disappointment to me. WE should be given 6 games and if we luck up and beat Wake and State that'll make 8. If we do less than 8 then I will have to say we underachieved. Thoughts??

that means we will loose to LSU, Bama, Aub, Fla.
There is no way that we win less that 8 games this year. Coach Nutt is really going to throw the ball around and shock some people.
OMNOB
2nd String
2nd String

TulsaReb wrote:
Hagar wrote:at our schedule... I have come to the realization that... well... given any luck that we can beat Wake Forest's Spread offense I will have to say anything less than 8 wins this year is going to be a disappointment to me. WE should be given 6 games and if we luck up and beat Wake and State that'll make 8. If we do less than 8 then I will have to say we underachieved. Thoughts??

There is no way that we win less that 8 games this year. Coach Nutt is really going to throw the ball around and shock some people.
I hope that you are right, but I just think that 8 wins is pushing it. I love my Rebels, I really do, but this is essentially the same team that put up the goose egg in the SEC just one year ago.

Yes, we have Snead, and maybe Powe in addition to last years squad, but we lost our only proven rushers. Our coaching has been elevated by at the very least 100%, but I feel like that will only double our win total from last season. 6, maybe 7 wins in 2008.
"America is the New York Yankees of countries,powerful and respected until the year 2000"-Homer Simpson
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I'm expecting 6, wouldn't be too surprised at 7 or 5 (that hurts). 7+ flying around the moon happy, and yes, very surprised. CN is a good coach, but hes not Superman, although I think he might pull off a super upset.
Jimbo
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

I cannot escape the feeling that we should do much better than anyone expects this year. Mem will be tough as Hell, but if we start learning how to win, we can get really infectious. Full home crowds will help, and Jevan with running backs, a strong defense, there is no telling how effective as a TEAM we can be. With NO coaching, NO QB, and no Finish, we were close in a lot of games. I shall hate LSU from the grave, (It is already in my will), and I will be at Death Valley to watch us quiet that crowd.
RUE
BeeeDeee
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I'll be satisfied with an over .500 season. If we somehow pulled out a miracle win against the likes of LSU, I'll be ecstatic (hell, HDN did it with Arkansas last year, right?).
RichmondVAReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

As I said in another string, I think 6 and 6 is the best guess for 2008 (and there is a lot of risk in getting to 6); however, if all our pluses start to click as the year progresses, injuries do not present a serious problem, the refs do not do us in too badly, Coach Nutt and staff use their experience to bring along our team in the best possible way, then this year could present us with some very pleasant surprises along the way. I think that perhaps the best way to face the year might be to just take each game as it comes----take no one for granted. If our team stumbles along the way and loses games we feel we should have won, then that will hopefully build in them and us experience which should stand us in good stead when we should perhaps at this same point in 2009 be more justified in feeling that our time just might be due for some real damage to our SEC opponents. A perfect season is never going to be guaranteed, but at least I believe we are going to see a marked improvement over the next two seasons versus the last 4 miserable years.
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

BeeDee wrote:I'll be satisfied with an over .500 season. If we somehow pulled out a miracle win against the likes of LSU, I'll be ecstatic (hell, HDN did it with Arkansas last year, right?).
Agreed BeeDee,

However, I believe late last year I went on record stating that if the previous regime was retained then I expected 7 wins to keep the status quo. In my opinion a "better" regime should be held to the same standard. I am not saying if we don't reach 7 wins we should make a change, just that if I felt we had the talent for 7 wins last year my expectations should remain the same no matter the coach.
Randy
ekmjr1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

5 - 6 wins, with at least one SEC win would be a great improvement, but I wouldn't rule out 7 or 8 wins. We need to see at least two games under Nutt to get a feel for how this team is going to respond. I'm not getting too excited like I have in the past, as that only sets us up for a let down.

I hope I am wrong and won't have any problem eating my words, but 5 or 6 wins is what I see for now. Anything more and I'll be very happy, but 5 or 6 wins will show improvement and give us something to build on the following year.
RebelConvert
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I hate to be the nay-sayer, but didn't like half of y'all spout how O would bring us like 10+ wins right off the bat and an SEC championship and an NC etc? I know we're all sick of losing, but we know we have an experienced coach in our midst, we know we have some decent talent coming, we know we have good facilities... what we need now is patience and fan support. It may be a rough season - or two - but I think that in this case it really and truly is a matter of time.
We're not snobs... we're just better than you.
done

It is possible that we can win 8, but it is also very possible that we could win just 5 (because Memphis will ne Snead's first live football in a couple of years.

I will be content with 6, happy with 7, ecstatic with 8.
RebelConvert
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I just want to have an SEC win. Yeah, I'm simple. That will make me feel content. Happy would be to have half the games in the win column. Extatic would be if we could stomp LSU. Yup... simple
We're not snobs... we're just better than you.
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

RebelConvert wrote:I just want to have an SEC win. Yeah, I'm simple. That will make me feel content. Happy would be to have half the games in the win column. Extatic would be if we could stomp LSU. Yup... simple
Abso-freakin-lutely. If we went 6-6 with a win in BR, I would be downright smug....... For a WHOLE year!!!!!

It most certainly can't and won't happen, but if.......
L. S. WHO?
ARebelForLife21
Water Boy
Water Boy

I completely agree.
badmotorfinger
All American
All American

I have to go with the six or seven crowd because we have an agreeable home schedule for it this year. Im not saying that any of those games are a sure thing, but definitely games we can win. Im looking forward to the Wake game because we'll get a little insight on how its going to play out on the road this year, and we desperately need a solid road win to get this Nutt era kicked off.