stanley coming along quick

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

twlong
Water Boy
Water Boy

Talk about it in The Grove
No one closely associated with Ole Miss football is eager to see Nathan Stanley in game action just yet.

That should not be interpreted as a knock on the freshman quarterback from Oklahoma, however, for Stanley has created some serious excitement for the Rebels' coaching staff during his first week of practice.

Neal McCready

Ole Miss freshman quarterback Nathan Stanley has been one of the brightest spots in the Rebels' fall camp. The Oklahoma native has displayed a strong arm, an accurate deep ball and poise in the pocket.
"We've put him in some very difficult situations, going against a Greg Hardy or an Emmanuel Stephens or a Peria Jerry with the pass rush, and I tell you what, he doesn't flinch," Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt said Thursday night. "He makes good decisions and he has presence in the pocket. He's throwing the ball well as well."

Stanley, a 6-foot-5, 195-pounder from Tahlequah, Okla., who threw for 2,153 yards and 32 touchdowns as a senior, reported to Ole Miss on May 27. Since then, he's tried to dive right into Kent Austin and Nutt's playbook all the while acclimating to the college game.

"I feel like I have a lot further to go and a lot to learn and a lot more to accomplish," Stanley said. "I'm just taking it one day at a time and I'm trying to get better each day. They threw quite a bit at us at first but not too much to comprehend.

"I definitely have to adjust to the speed of the game. It's a lot faster. I have a lot of terminology and a lot more of the playbook to understand. At this level, I have to get better at reading coverages because they're better at disguising coverages."

Stanley isn't in the mix to be Ole Miss' starter. That job belongs to Texas transfer Jevan Snead, who has had a solid week of camp. However, the backup job, currently held by Billy Tapp, could possibly be had if Stanley progresses quickly.

"Right now, I'm just trying to get acclimated and then when two-a-days are over, we'll see where I stand from there," Stanley said.

Until then, he's learning from a trio of football minds he's come to respect, including one he recently met who he hopes to learn from for awhile and another he's known for three years who he hopes will guide him to the pinnacle of college football.

"Jevan is a very knowledgeable quarterback," Stanley said. "He has good fundamentals, a great arm and he's a good leader with a good head on his shoulders. I'm fortunate to be able to sit under him and learn from him."

"I've known Coach Nutt for a long time. I had been attending his camp at Arkansas since my sophomore year. I did really well there and he kind of had an eye on me then and my junior year I did really well at the camp and I think we kind of formed a bond at that camp. I really like the way he coaches. He's a players coach and that's kind of the player I am. We mesh well together."
optimism is more fun than dwelling on the past
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Thanks for posting the article. Looking forward to seeing Stanley in the future. Everyone is saying similar things about him. Looks like Nutt found a good one.
RebinGA
Water Boy
Water Boy

For the future's sake - I hope he is red-shirted this year, that'll give us two years after Sneed.
BART: I'll tell you a story so scary, you will wet your pants.
Grandpa: Too Late.
BigTrev34
All SEC
All SEC

Cant redshirt him bc we have no backups. Also Brandon Bolden sounds like he is doing great. I read that Bolden is holding his own with Enrique
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

BigTrev34 wrote:Cant redshirt him bc we have no backups. Also Brandon Bolden sounds like he is doing great. I read that Bolden is holding his own with Enrique
Sure we can redshirt him. If Snead stays healthy, there's no reason to play him this year.
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

BigTrev34 wrote:Cant redshirt him bc we have no backups. Also Brandon Bolden sounds like he is doing great. I read that Bolden is holding his own with Enrique
Stanley is not better than Tapp at this moment, and Tapp knows the play-book maybe better than Snead, but doesn't have the physical tools, so yes, you can redshirt him and let Tapp handle mop up duty, if there is any.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
done

olemsdave76 wrote:Stanley is not better than Tapp at this moment, and Tapp knows the play-book maybe better than Snead, but doesn't have the physical tools, so yes, you can redshirt him and let Tapp handle mop up duty, if there is any.
In said "mop up" scenarios...do you envision us as the moppers or the moppees? Just curious 8)
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter
Location: Got a Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart.

Rebchuck18 wrote:
olemsdave76 wrote:Stanley is not better than Tapp at this moment, and Tapp knows the play-book maybe better than Snead, but doesn't have the physical tools, so yes, you can redshirt him and let Tapp handle mop up duty, if there is any.
In said "mop up" scenarios...do you envision us as the moppers or the moppees? Just curious 8)
No peeing on the fire.
You've just got to learn from the wrong things you've done. I came off the rebound, started looking around, figured out it's time to have a little fun.
done

parrotreb wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:
No peeing on the fire.
Okay, but once you start sometimes it really hurts to stop. Especially in our advanced years 8)
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

olemsdave76 wrote:
Stanley is not better than Tapp at this moment, and Tapp knows the play-book maybe better than Snead, but doesn't have the physical tools, so yes, you can redshirt him and let Tapp handle mop up duty, if there is any.
If Jevan goes down, we need a qb who can manage the game and help win it. Can Tapp do that? From what I've heard, no. Don't think we have the luxury to rs a quality player at a position which is paper thin. If all we had to worry about was mop up, then sit him until 09, unfortunately that's not the case now. Remember how skinny Peyton was when he was pulled from the bench to start hes freshman year? I hope Jevan stays healthy and its a moot point, but knowing our recent history with injuries, we need to have our best players available to play if needed. I want to win some games this year, not hoard players for a possible run in the future. The future is now dudes.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

bleuwolfe wrote:
olemsdave76 wrote:
If Jevan goes down, we need a qb who can manage the game and help win it. Can Tapp do that? From what I've heard, no. Don't think we have the luxury to rs a quality player at a position which is paper thin. If all we had to worry about was mop up, then sit him until 09, unfortunately that's not the case now. Remember how skinny Peyton was when he was pulled from the bench to start hes freshman year? I hope Jevan stays healthy and its a moot point, but knowing our recent history with injuries, we need to have our best players available to play if needed. I want to win some games this year, not hoard players for a possible run in the future. The future is now dudes.
Personally I think Billy Tapp would do fine as a servicable backup to Jevan Snead... in any event Nathan Stanley while head and shoulders above anyone in recent memory who came in as a freshamn QB needs a year in the weightroom. Billy Tapp would just fine as a backup...he is probably the smartest QB we have as far as knowing the offense. The ability to not make stupid mistakes is huge and goes a long way with me.
Later,
Hagar
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

bleuwolfe wrote:
olemsdave76 wrote:
If Jevan goes out "for the rest of a game"...Tapp
If Jevan goes down for the count...you'll see both Tapp and Stanley
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

bleuwolfe wrote:
olemsdave76 wrote:
I am not worried about Stanley's size, but from watching him last week at practice, he doesn't have the grasp of the playbook that I feel is needed to be an adequate backup. I would prefer to have a backup who completely understands what we are tring to do but may have physical inadequacies than someone who has slightly better physical attributes but not the head to lead at this moment.
And to compare Nathan Stanley to Peyton Manning, even as a true freshman, is ridiculous; that guy had a football IQ as a high school QB higher than 90% of college senior QBs.
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

olemsdave76 wrote:
bleuwolfe wrote:
olemsdave76 wrote: Stanley is not better than Tapp at this moment, and Tapp knows the play-book maybe better than Snead, but doesn't have the physical tools, so yes, you can redshirt him and let Tapp handle mop up duty, if there is any.
I am not worried about Stanley's size, but from watching him last week at practice, he doesn't have the grasp of the playbook that I feel is needed to be an adequate backup. I would prefer to have a backup who completely understands what we are tring to do but may have physical inadequacies than someone who has slightly better physical attributes but not the head to lead at this moment.
And to compare Nathan Stanley to Peyton Manning, even as a true freshman, is ridiculous; that guy had a football IQ as a high school QB higher than 90% of college senior QBs.
The comparison was skinny freshman NS to skinny freshman PM. Period.
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

bleuwolfe wrote:
olemsdave76 wrote:
bleuwolfe wrote: If Jevan goes down, we need a qb who can manage the game and help win it. Can Tapp do that? From what I've heard, no. Don't think we have the luxury to rs a quality player at a position which is paper thin. If all we had to worry about was mop up, then sit him until 09, unfortunately that's not the case now. Remember how skinny Peyton was when he was pulled from the bench to start hes freshman year? I hope Jevan stays healthy and its a moot point, but knowing our recent history with injuries, we need to have our best players available to play if needed. I want to win some games this year, not hoard players for a possible run in the future. The future is now dudes.
The comparison was skinny freshman NS to skinny freshman PM. Period.
and my original reason for saying stay with Tapp as number 2 was b/c of football IQ, not physical look.Period