Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

BigTrev34
All SEC
All SEC

Rivals thinks so

http://olemiss.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=851322

1. Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
Oher has a rare blend of size, athleticism and girth. He entered the 2008 NFL draft, then pulled out a few days later even though he was considered a first-round pick. New coach Houston Nutt is glad he stayed. This time around, Oher – now a senior – could be the first player taken in the draft. He is No. 1 on the Rivals.com list of the top 100 pro prospects and could be the second consecutive offensive tackle chosen No. 1 overall; the Miami Dolphins took Michigan's Jake Long with the No. 1 pick earlier this year.
dgmcdowe
2nd String
2nd String

That would be so awesome. I guess I'm a NAFOOM, but I don't see it happening for some reason, though.
rrlynch
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

dgmcdowe wrote:That would be so awesome. I guess I'm a NAFOOM, but I don't see it happening for some reason, though.
Just because you opine that perhaps someone besides Oher will be taken with the #1 overall pick doesn't mean you're not a fan of Ole Miss.
BeeeDeee
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I don't think he'll go #1 overall either. He's very good and he'll certainly go very early, but I just don't see him being a #1 overall pick.
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

BeeDee wrote:I don't think he'll go #1 overall either. He's very good and he'll certainly go very early, but I just don't see him being a #1 overall pick.
Agree. Doubt that he will be THE #1 pick. Maybe the first OT taken, maybe.
Nutt calls the formation the Wild Rebel. Which sure beats the heck out of Orgeron's Wild Boys.
----Calkins
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I think its hard to go that high if you are on the Oline, not on one of the media-darling teams, and don't have a famous NFL name, i.e.. Long & Manning. I also think he needs to dominate in sec play. But if he plays his game, he should go early, just hope its to a decent team.
Deadman
Scout Team
Scout Team

I’m just glad we have him for this year.

Deadman
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Deadman wrote:I’m just glad we have him for this year.
Truer words... :)
done

I imagine that if the Colts could do it right now, they would trade an awful lot to get to #1 and pick him. They are pretty light on left tackles right now and Peyton is paying the price.

I too doubt he will go #1, but what a great story it would be if he did. Not only from his personal journey (which SHOULD be made into a movie), but also for those guys out there who are struggling with the choice to come out early for the draft.
BigTrev34
All SEC
All SEC

Rebchuck18 wrote:I imagine that if the Colts could do it right now, they would trade an awful lot to get to #1 and pick him. They are pretty light on left tackles right now and Peyton is paying the price.

I too doubt he will go #1, but what a great story it would be if he did. Not only from his personal journey (which SHOULD be made into a movie), but also for those guys out there who are struggling with the choice to come out early for the draft.
Yeah. Im a Colts fan and we lost our starting guard to FA and obviously Saturday is out. We cannot run our patented play HB stretch like we used to now. Our LT is doing good in Tony Ugoh - who was coached by our own Mike Markuson. Also it doesnt help taht Peyton is rusty and doesnt look completelys sure and is getting happy feet. We are in trouble now but when everyone gets back we will be fine.
done

BigTrev34 wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:I imagine that if the Colts could do it right now, they would trade an awful lot to get to #1 and pick him. They are pretty light on left tackles right now and Peyton is paying the price.

Yeah. Im a Colts fan and we lost our starting guard to FA and obviously Saturday is out. We cannot run our patented play HB stretch like we used to now. Our LT is doing good in Tony Ugoh - who was coached by our own Mike Markuson. Also it doesnt help taht Peyton is rusty and doesnt look completelys sure and is getting happy feet. We are in trouble now but when everyone gets back we will be fine.
On ESPN last night they said that Ugoh was hurt now as well.
Heath
All American
All American

BigTrev34 wrote:

Peyton sure is no Eli, is he! :lol:

But seriously though, it would not surprise me if he goes in the top 2 or 3, if not #1. The reason I think this is because I think these NFL teams are now learning their lessons on QB's in that just because a QB is great in college, via a spread offense or an athletice running QB, does not mean that he will be a good NFL QB. Example: V. Young, J. Russell, and many others from spread offenses. SO, I think we will see more teams taking good linemen or running backs in the draft, then trade to get a seasoned veteran QB. The teams are finally learning that it is absolutely CRAZY 8O to pay millions for a player that may never develop into even a mediocre QB. Linemen and RB's are a little safer bet, and if you don't have these men, it doesn't matter how good the QB is, the offense will still suck.

So, all in all, it will not surprise me if he goes #1.
StrongRebel
2nd String
2nd String

I agree with you completely about linemen and running backs, BUT there are very few linemen and a few running backs (Reggie Bush, Bo Johnson, Eric Dickerson are the exception) that sells jerseys, tvs, tickets, etc... in the NFL most of the time it is the QB that does that. So you can take a sexy draft pick and build your franchise around a QB and sell more stuff with more exposure or you take a linemen and improve your team. I think improving your team is the better route and will make more money in the long term, but you are exposed to salary caps, free agents, and injuries which could limit your ability to ever reach that level.

Everybody has to remember that the NFL, even the NCAA, is a business first and a game second...
OMNOB
2nd String
2nd String

StrongRebel wrote:I agree with you completely about linemen and running backs, BUT there are very few linemen and a few running backs (Reggie Bush, Bo Johnson, Eric Dickerson are the exception) that sells jerseys, tvs, tickets, etc... in the NFL most of the time it is the QB that does that. So you can take a sexy draft pick and build your franchise around a QB and sell more stuff with more exposure or you take a linemen and improve your team. I think improving your team is the better route and will make more money in the long term, but you are exposed to salary caps, free agents, and injuries which could limit your ability to ever reach that level.

Everybody has to remember that the NFL, even the NCAA, is a business first and a game second...
Bo Jackson is the gent you were looking for, Bo Jackson....what, I have been told, don't know Diddly...
"America is the New York Yankees of countries,powerful and respected until the year 2000"-Homer Simpson