Florida Game

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

BeeeDeee
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

MageeRebel425 wrote:They have a very good defense but their offense is weaker than last year. Last year they looked like a video game on offense. They have been very balanced so far this season but
Meyer has been very vocal on this very thing. They're protecting Tebow. They're not allowing him to run all over everyone like he did last year, because they realize that they need to keep him healthy for the long run in order to make a run for the NC. They CAN turn it on when they need to and put up huge numbers, but look at what they did to UT last weekend. That was a beatdown of epic proportion, and whether Ole Miss fans want to be realistic and admit it or not, UT is a better team overall than ours - with the exception of the QB spot - and after Jevan's 'performance' this weekend against Vandy, you might successfully argue that Snead and Crompton are on about the same level...

Don't get me wrong, I want to win this game. I don't want a moral victory and I sure don't want a blowout, but I see us getting completely violated this weekend. I think it's gonna be U-G-L-Y.
rebeloke
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

BeeDee wrote:
MageeRebel425 wrote:They have a very good defense but their offense is weaker than last year. Last year they looked like a video game on offense. They have been very balanced so far this season but
Meyer has been very vocal on this very thing. They're protecting Tebow. They're not allowing him to run all over everyone like he did last year, because they realize that they need to keep him healthy for the long run in order to make a run for the NC. They CAN turn it on when they need to and put up huge numbers, but look at what they did to UT last weekend. That was a beatdown of epic proportion, and whether Ole Miss fans want to be realistic and admit it or not, UT is a better team overall than ours - with the exception of the QB spot - and after Jevan's 'performance' this weekend against Vandy, you might successfully argue that Snead and Crompton are on about the same level...

Don't get me wrong, I want to win this game. I don't want a moral victory and I sure don't want a blowout, but I see us getting completely violated this weekend. I think it's gonna be U-G-L-Y.
We are going to get throttled this weekend if we do not turn things around ASAP. If we do not turn the ball over any, and if we manage to gain around 100 on the ground and 200 through the air we might be able to stay within a couple of TDs of Florida. If we do that I will be impressed.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

BeeDee wrote:

I think we are better than UT. Just look at the UCLA game they turned UCLA's qb over 4 times and still figured out a way to lose to a team that got it put on them 59-0..... Maybe I am nuts but I see some weaknesses in Florida, no doubt they are a top ten team, but weaknesses still the same.. I know they have made an effort to not run Tebo as much but Meyer isnt the picture of class and I assure you he beats people as bad as he can the majority of the time... Just look back at the Miami game, they had that game in the bag and they looked like they were running a two minute offense down the stretch.. I know everybody is trying to be realist but I sure hope that players dont actually get on here and read some of the comments... I know its a big if but IF we turn it over less than them I honestly believe we will win..
BeeeDeee
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

MageeRebel425 wrote:
BeeDee wrote:

I think we are better than UT. Just look at the UCLA game they turned UCLA's qb over 4 times and still figured out a way to lose to a team that got it put on them 59-0..... Maybe I am nuts but I see some weaknesses in Florida, no doubt they are a top ten team, but weaknesses still the same.. I know they have made an effort to not run Tebo as much but Meyer isnt the picture of class and I assure you he beats people as bad as he can the majority of the time... Just look back at the Miami game, they had that game in the bag and they looked like they were running a two minute offense down the stretch.. I know everybody is trying to be realist but I sure hope that players dont actually get on here and read some of the comments... I know its a big if but IF we turn it over less than them I honestly believe we will win..
Most coaches do that sort of thing against their perrenial rivals. UF has UT, UGA and Miami that are their big emotion games... just like we'd run up the score on LSU (hehe, if we could) and State given the chance. We'll just have to agree to disagree on UT vs UM. Sure, UCLA got their tails handed to them, but they played a great game against UT and UT's got speed and depth at every position, where we're paper thin in a lot of places. If you put a QB like Tebow or even Stafford or Sarah Jessica Parker Wilson from Alabama in at UT and they're a completely different team...
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

BeeDee wrote:
MageeRebel425 wrote:
BeeDee wrote: Meyer has been very vocal on this very thing. They're protecting Tebow. They're not allowing him to run all over everyone like he did last year, because they realize that they need to keep him healthy for the long run in order to make a run for the NC. They CAN turn it on when they need to and put up huge numbers, but look at what they did to UT last weekend. That was a beatdown of epic proportion, and whether Ole Miss fans want to be realistic and admit it or not, UT is a better team overall than ours - with the exception of the QB spot - and after Jevan's 'performance' this weekend against Vandy, you might successfully argue that Snead and Crompton are on about the same level...

Most coaches do that sort of thing against their perrineal rivals. UF has UT, UGA and Miami that are their big emotion games... just like we'd run up the score on LSU (hehe, if we could) and State given the chance. We'll just have to agree to disagree on UT vs UM. Sure, UCLA got their tails handed to them, but they played a great game against UT and UT's got speed and depth at every position, where we're paper thin in a lot of places. If you put a QB like Tebow or even Stafford or Sarah Jessica Parker Wilson from Alabama in at UT and they're a completely different team...

I am not debating why Meyer ran the score up. He might have done it because it was an in state rival, I dont think so because he has done that sort of thing his entire career... I cant say I hold it against him, it is important to impress voters and recruits.. The point I was making is that the Miami score was deceptive, that was a 6 point game going into the 4th qrt. Just like the UT score was deceptive.. UT got the ball down to the 1 twice and shot themselves in the foot. If Snead is the Snead he was against wake I do believe we are better team than UT.. I think UT is a perfect comparrison to UM right now because we both find a way to lose and blow golden opportunities..
smokedraw
Water Boy
Water Boy

If we run the wild Rebel most of the game and keep the ball out of Tim Teabag's hands we got a shot.

Rebs 24

Gators 21
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

I'm trying to convince the wife to come with me to Ernst Cafe in NOLA to watch the UF game. I mean, even though she's LSU, we can ALL agree that UF S***KS somethin' fierce.

Maybe she'll wear the lucky red dress this weekend. It got us a win for the Memphis game this year so far. I didn't think we needed the extra mojo for Wake and Vandy. I was saving it for UF, State and Auburn. Maybe I should have used it to get to 4-0 early in the season? Meh, who knows.

Hope to see you NOLA rats there.
L. S. WHO?
BeeeDeee
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

smokedraw wrote:If we run the wild Rebel most of the game and keep the ball out of Tim Teabag's hands we got a shot.

Rebs 24

Gators 21
Wild Rebel, bleh. I'm sick of hearing about it. So far it seems to have generated as many lost yardage plays and an INT as it has positive results.
Deadman
Scout Team
Scout Team

smokedraw wrote:If we run the wild Rebel most of the game and keep the ball out of Tim Teabag's hands we got a shot.

Rebs 24

Gators 21
Call it whatever… it does not matter if it is not a win for us at the end of the game.

Deadman
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter
Location: Got a Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart.

bigtreydaddy wrote:
bbqit wrote:I know no 2 years are alike but in the idea of keeping my hopes up didn't we start out 2-2 the year we went to the cotton bowl?
Indeed.

2003:  10-3
W/L Date PF Opponent PA Location
W 8/30/2003 24 Vanderbilt (TN) 21 Nashville, TN
L 9/6/2003 34 Memphis (TN) 44 Memphis, TN
W 9/13/2003 59 Louisiana-Monroe 14 Oxford, MS
L 9/27/2003 45 Texas Tech 49 Oxford, MS
W 10/4/2003 20 Florida 17 Gainesville, FL
W 10/11/2003 55 Arkansas St. 0 Oxford, MS
W 10/18/2003 43 Alabama 28 Oxford, MS
W 10/25/2003 19 Arkansas 7 Oxford, MS
W 11/1/2003 43 South Carolina 40 Oxford, MS
W 11/8/2003 24 Auburn (AL) 20 Auburn, AL
L 11/22/2003 14 Louisiana St. 17 Oxford, MS
W 11/27/2003 31 Mississippi St. 0 Starkville, MS
W 1/2/2004 31 Oklahoma St. 28 Dallas, TX Cotton Bowl
442 Season Totals 285
Too many differences to draw any meaningful similarity out of any comparison of aught 8 to 03.
You've just got to learn from the wrong things you've done. I came off the rebound, started looking around, figured out it's time to have a little fun.
rebeloke
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

BeeDee wrote:

Rebs 24

Gators 21
Wild Rebel, bleh. I'm sick of hearing about it. So far it seems to have generated as many lost yardage plays and an INT as it has positive results.
Hey, an NFL team, Miami used it to beat the Pats. The media has given Nutt credit for the new formation.
badmotorfinger
All American
All American

MageeRebel425 wrote:
BeeDee wrote:I hope you're right, but I don't feel it. Florida struggles against us every time, but this year I'm afraid they're gonna murder us. Florida is the best team in the country. Hands down. No question whatsoever in my mind. Better than UGA, better than USC and better than OU.

Maybe I need to lay off the kool-aid but I think think we have a very good shot to win this game... I also do not think Florida is the best team in the country..(They are ranked where they should be) They have a very good defense but their offense is weaker than last year. Last year they looked like a video game on offense. They have been very balanced so far this season but they arent putting up huge yardage against suspect teams. They beat hula university to death but thats not saying much. The Miami game was a 6 point game going into the 4th quarter then Florida poured it on. We saw how good UT was playing at UCLA. UT actaully outgained florida, the score was very deceptive UT couldnt score in the red zone and UT turned it over too much to have a shot but Florida didnt break 100 yards passing and didnt have 150 rushing... I surely think we can cover the line but I honestly think we can win.
Recipe for a win..
Contain Tebo and Harvin...(Hardy will help)
Protect the football...
Establish a run game...

I have faith we will do those things and when we do, we will leave florida with a 27-21 win....
We're going to need some help from special teams too. Its going to be interesting to see how the players and coaches respond to Saturday's performance. Can they put that game behind them and practice and play hard? I don't think we'll win, but I also believe we haven't seen how good this OM team can be. Maybe we'll find out before season's end. You never know, we could find out Saturday.
Rule #1.......Don't panik
BeeeDeee
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

rebeloke wrote:
BeeDee wrote:

Rebs 24

Gators 21
Hey, an NFL team, Miami used it to beat the Pats. The media has given Nutt credit for the new formation.
We apparently couldn't use it to beat Wake Forest OR Vandy... I say stick to what works. This obviously isn't working for us. People whine and chastise offenses for 'dink and dunk' but if it puts points on the board, I'm all for it.
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

RebelConvert wrote:I wish I could be so positive. But Florida is going to kick our cans. They have Tebow. We all know how the media (specifically ESPN) loves to kiss his fanny. If we could pull a Nancy Kerrigan on him, we might stand a chance. We have waaaaaay too many turnovers, they do not. And while UT may have "outgained" Florida, UT still lost to UCLA. And Florida wailed on them. I just don't think we'll be anywhere in the neighborhood of catching up to Florida. If nothing else, we'll probably give them several gifts in the form of turnovers. We seem to be very generous these days. :roll:
As of right now, neither of us have any turnovers...or points. It's a brand new day. We could get creamed...but we could pull this thing out if we hit on all cylinders on both sides of the ball. We could have won the two we lost, and let's face it...Tebow will face Hardy once (no more than twice) this year...and he might have some scary stories to tell his kids about this game. I'm not predicting that, but I'm gonna have to see a couple of those turnovers or busted plays on defense before I lose all hope.
RebelConvert
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

rebelliousb wrote:
RebelConvert wrote:I wish I could be so positive. But Florida is going to kick our cans. They have Tebow. We all know how the media (specifically ESPN) loves to kiss his fanny. If we could pull a Nancy Kerrigan on him, we might stand a chance. We have waaaaaay too many turnovers, they do not. And while UT may have "outgained" Florida, UT still lost to UCLA. And Florida wailed on them. I just don't think we'll be anywhere in the neighborhood of catching up to Florida. If nothing else, we'll probably give them several gifts in the form of turnovers. We seem to be very generous these days. :roll:
As of right now, neither of us have any turnovers...or points. It's a brand new day. We could get creamed...but we could pull this thing out if we hit on all cylinders on both sides of the ball. We could have won the two we lost, and let's face it...Tebow will face Hardy once (no more than twice) this year...and he might have some scary stories to tell his kids about this game. I'm not predicting that, but I'm gonna have to see a couple of those turnovers or busted plays on defense before I lose all hope.
You are one of those really optimistic types aren't you? :wink: I guess I just don't see it like that. History has a tendency to repeat itself. My thoughts are like this: NO TURNOVERS! NO PENALTIES! Please, enough with the Wild Rebel. Score first. And, lastly, hurt Tebow, and do it early. Then maybe we'll stand a chance.
We're not snobs... we're just better than you.