Any tips for a visitor this weekend?

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

ayoung22
Water Boy
Water Boy

So, a few of us Gamecocks will be heading to Oxford this weekend for the game and I was just hoping for suggestions about the tailgating situation there.

We are really excited to experience the best tailgating in the country and want to make sure that we don't miss out on anything. Is it possible to get there on Saturday morning and get into the grove? Any suggestions for how early we'd have to get there? Are there perimeter areas around the grove for tailgating?

Any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance and good luck!
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

ayoung22 wrote:So, a few of us Gamecocks will be heading to Oxford this weekend for the game and I was just hoping for suggestions about the tailgating situation there.

We are really excited to experience the best tailgating in the country and want to make sure that we don't miss out on anything. Is it possible to get there on Saturday morning and get into the grove? Any suggestions for how early we'd have to get there? Are there perimeter areas around the grove for tailgating?

Any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance and good luck!
Personally, I think the grove is overrated (too many people)...I prefer the open areas around the back of the coliseum for tailgaiting... however walking thru the grove is a "Must do." Don't miss the "Walk of Champions" even if you are a fan of another school. The "Walk" begins in front of the Student Union and goes thru the grove. Whiskey Alley is another thing to behold. It is between the Pharmacy Building (Faser Hall) and the Biology Building and is on the "Walk" to the stadium. I suggest you do a Google Earth view and familiarize yourself with the campus. You can get just about everywhere on campus within a 10-15 min walk. Enjoy yourself, and be careful on your drive both ways.
Later,
Hagar
Burn
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

get there as early as possible. I would say 8 or 9 would be ideal. Be prepared to do a little walking. All of the spots in the grove will certainly be taken up friday night, but there are still plenty of places around campus to set up camp. Last i checked, most of the campus is fair game for a tent and a cooler; but there may be some new restrictions in places. You'll have more fun walking around checking out the sights and sounds, and smells (bourbon and chanel #5 btw)
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

ayoung22 wrote:So, a few of us Gamecocks will be heading to Oxford this weekend for the game and I was just hoping for suggestions about the tailgating situation there.

You'll have a difficult time getting a tent set up in the Grove the day of the game. Most people have them set up the day/evening before the game. Like Hagar said, it is very crowded, I liked it better before all the tents. There are plenty of areas outside the Grove to set up. Definitely stroll through the Grove and enjoy.

No open containers, put it in a cup. Don't have your liquor/beer out on the table. Wear your sunglasses, I'm not kidding.
Nutt calls the formation the Wild Rebel. Which sure beats the heck out of Orgeron's Wild Boys.
----Calkins
done

Just go up and introduce yourself to anyone in the tents (except for drunk frat boys in funny looking pants with go cups in their hands and cigarettes dangling from their mouth) and they will welcome you in. See the Walk of Champions but go to the tents east of the walk and you will probably find some very nice adults who will welcome you to the Grove.

If it is hot you can go into the Student Union and they will have A/C and televisions with ball games on. And definitely visit the square in downtown Oxford. It is a short distance east of the Grove.

Have fun and be safe.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

Redbluedude wrote:Wear your sunglasses, I'm not kidding.
When you see how many of the Co-eds dress you will understand. I think they dress that way just to aggravate me. You won't want to be seen Gawking!
Later,
Hagar
StrongRebel
2nd String
2nd String

You can squeeze in somewhere in the grove, but hauling all the stuff in and out can be a bother due to you not being familiar with everything. The circle is usually just as busy but you can usually grab a spot in the grass infront of one of the buildings and still feel like your in the grove. Also around the law school towards the student union is a good spot. Always remember that the girls are our women not yours! and we do not allow sharing of them, but chicken tenders, beer, and a good time are apart of the hospitality. Bars close at 1 am on Saturday night and try to go to the square that evening.
RebMom
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

And didn't yet know how the traffic flowed (barricades & lots of one-way streets) before/aft game...our son was a football player...we just drove around campus on a non-game day & found a lovely spot, that was not crowded @ all...but very near The Circle (area just off the Grove where the confederate statue & The Lyceum...the columned bldg. that you will see when you Google Ole Miss)..and The Grove. Homecoming means The Grove will be even more crowded...if that can happen.

If you get there early Sat a.m. could probably find a parking spot & a small spot of grass beside Old Taylor Rd. (there is an exit off Hwy.6) that goes between the baseball & football stadiums...then can just follow Old Taylor until it deadends onto University Avenue, turn left & the glorious thing you will see is The Grove in full homecoming decor...will be the tip of The Grove, find a sidewalk & walk straight up the middle toward The Union, and will walk under the Walk of Champions Arch. Follow the advice of staying away from frat boys (& some grown men) wearing funny looking pants...and try to keep your eyes from bulging out of your head...and just walk-up & introduce yourself as a visitor from SC & first time to the infamous Grove...and you should be welcomed warmly.

But anyway, my little known spot is off Magnolia Drive, behind the tennis courts off Frat Row, which is All-American Drive also and takes you to Vaught Hemingway stadium. You can get there off West Jackson, which coming west from Batesville, MS off Hwy. 6 will be your 2nd redlight to left. Anyway, this little spot used to have some picnic tables & gorgeous tree line street with magnolias. Near the library & Chapel, look for or listen for the chiming of the bell. Further down All American Dr., will be barricaded, but should be able to turn toward Kinard Hall to left & Magnolia 1st or 2nd st. on right. Can walk from there to Circle & Grove...and there's a lovely courtyard, fountain, etc. along the way. Hope this many details clears it up instead of fuzzies the picture. Many shuttles around town with signs, low price to park, and shuttle in if you decided against settting up a true tailgating spot. Hotty Toddy and welcome to Oxford. If you behave yourself, you should be treated as a welcome friend. ENJOY! :D
I'm a Marilyn...but it's not Monroe!
FORWARD REBELS --mj--
RebinGA
Water Boy
Water Boy

Isn't there some rule about your coolers having to be locked when you are not with them? Seems I recall it is fair game for the campus police to search and seize if it is ungarded and not locked. (Something about not of age kids getting into peoples stash, that sort of thing.) Or is that just a blog rumor?
BART: I'll tell you a story so scary, you will wet your pants.
Grandpa: Too Late.
ayoung22
Water Boy
Water Boy

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Definitely a big help!

See you Saturday!
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

RebinGA wrote:Isn't there some rule about your coolers having to be locked when you are not with them? Seems I recall it is fair game for the campus police to search and seize if it is ungarded and not locked. (Something about not of age kids getting into peoples stash, that sort of thing.) Or is that just a blog rumor?
Nope, it's true. Put a lock on your coolers.
GO REBELS!!!
StrongRebel
2nd String
2nd String

RebinGA wrote:Isn't there some rule about your coolers having to be locked when you are not with them? Seems I recall it is fair game for the campus police to search and seize if it is ungarded and not locked. (Something about not of age kids getting into peoples stash, that sort of thing.) Or is that just a blog rumor?
Completely untrue! It is more of the fact to keep the grove rats that stay in the grove during the game from drinking all your beer. They are usually high school and college students. Some people do put locks on their coolers to make sure they have beer when they come back from the game, but most people don't.

The lock on the cooler thing is more of a college frat thing because they usually grove with other broke or beer guzzling friends, who steal all their beer. Also when they go to the frat party it is used for the same purpose.

The UPD can not search your cooler and mostly likely will not. They usually will only make you pour it out if you are being obnoxious and you are in your cooler pouring it into a cup.

I have groved for many years and I do not have a lock on my cooler. Now that doesn't mean that someone has not stuck their grubby little paws into it when they were not allowed, but I have not once had a problem with UPD.
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

unfortunately, UPD has taken the language of the Alcohol Policy (unattended alcohol shall be considered distribution in violation of this policy. Alcohol left unattended or in plain view may be confiscated) to mean they may search unattended coolers, i.e. those without locks.

Not saying they are right in this interpretation, but they do it.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
StrongRebel
2nd String
2nd String

Alcohol left unattended does not mean cooler left unattended, but maybe. Hasn't happen to me ever. We store our coolers underneath the table out of plain sight.

I think this statement from UPD has more to do with liquor bottles,or cases of beer stored in the box outside of a cooler at a tent. So people are not walking around with cases of beer or Liquor bottles are set out on top of their table, and so on.... Not for beer/liquor to be locked in a cooler, but maybe I've been wrong before, but not one UPD officer has ever stop by our grove spot of 3 tents and poured out our liquor or beer because it was in an unlocked cooler underneath the table while everyone is gone to the game.

Now I could see them confiscating unopen cases of beer or whiskey bottles on the ground underneath the table.

I guess it only matters if it happens to you and when it does I will state that is how they interupt the law.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

olemsdave76 wrote:unfortunately, UPD has taken the language of the Alcohol Policy (unattended alcohol shall be considered distribution in violation of this policy. Alcohol left unattended or in plain view may be confiscated) to mean they may search unattended coolers, i.e. those without locks.

Not saying they are right in this interpretation, but they do it.
It is my understanding that the locks don't matter... it is unattended Coolers that they go for. I had a buddy who got his locked cooler confiscated at his tent which was unattended. The neighboring tent saw the whole thing and this was the explanation that was given for the "bust".
Later,
Hagar