Houston Nutt vs. David Cutcliffe

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Luke Duke
Water Boy
Water Boy

Not saying its a good thing or a bad thing. Up to the reader to compare. But Cut is bashed all the time, and Nutt is treated like the second coming. Here is a comparison of their career records as SEC coaches(to date):

David Cutcliffe

6 seasons at Ole Miss
Overall: 44-29 .603%
Conference: 25-23 .521%
Bowl record: 4-1
10 win seasons: 1

Houston Nutt

10+ seasons at Arkansas and Ole Miss
Overall: 78-51 .604%
Conference: 43-40 .518%
Bowl record: 2-5

What's the difference? Sure Cut's best season was because he had Eli, but Nutt's was because he had DMac. Both left teams completely absent of talent. And Cut's bowl record is probably better due to playing in worse bowls. But for the most part, they are the exact same coach. If after six years Nutt has pretty much the same results that Cutcliffe had, will people be happy or ready to run him off? Because history says he will.
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter
Location: Got a Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart.

Luke Duke wrote:Not saying its a good thing or a bad thing. Up to the reader to compare. But Cut is bashed all the time, and Nutt is treated like the second coming. Here is a comparison of their career records as SEC coaches(to date):

David Cutcliffe

6 seasons at Ole Miss

Houston Nutt

What's the difference? Sure Cut's best season was because he had Eli, but Nutt's was because he had DMac. Both left teams completely absent of talent. And Cut's bowl record is probably better due to playing in worse bowls. But for the most part, they are the exact same coach. If after six years Nutt has pretty much the same results that Cutcliffe had, will people be happy or ready to run him off? Because history says he will.
Nutt won't be here 6 years.
You've just got to learn from the wrong things you've done. I came off the rebound, started looking around, figured out it's time to have a little fun.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Luke Duke wrote:Not saying its a good thing or a bad thing. Up to the reader to compare. But Cut is bashed all the time, and Nutt is treated like the second coming. Here is a comparison of their career records as SEC coaches(to date):

David Cutcliffe

6 seasons at Ole Miss

Houston Nutt

I never wanted Nutt as coach. Wanted Petrino, but what can u say. Nutt's recruiting is VERY suspect. And some of his choices for coaches are to.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote:

David Cutcliffe

6 seasons at Ole Miss

Houston Nutt

I never wanted Nutt as coach. Wanted Petrino, but what can u say. Nutt's recruiting is VERY suspect. And some of his choices for coaches are to.
Petrino is a suspect human being and wouldnt have stayed here more than a year. The answer is not to go sideways and get a coach its to go down a level or tier conf. My solution was a guy like brian kelly from cinnci...
olemissreb_30
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Its funny to me that how quick we can turn a coach in 6 games....all of yall are acting like Al Davis.... Please give Coach Nutt time he is a great coach....we as Rebel fans just have to be patient its not going to happen over night

Go Reblels!!!!!!!

MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

olemissreb_30 wrote:Its funny to me that how quick we can turn a coach in 6 games....all of yall are acting like Al Davis.... Please give Coach Nutt time he is a great coach....we as Rebel fans just have to be patient its not going to happen over night

Go Reblels!!!!!!!

I certainly havent turned on him, I hope he has the success to grow old here. I was just making the point I would rather Sara Palin be our head coach than petrino..
olemissreb_30
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

if it was petrino here he would be gone by now

lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

olemissreb_30 wrote:Its funny to me that how quick we can turn a coach in 6 games....all of yall are acting like Al Davis.... Please give Coach Nutt time he is a great coach....we as Rebel fans just have to be patient its not going to happen over night
I'm not turning on him. I've blamed everyone but the coaches for our losses this year, but this one is mainly on the coaches with a lot of help from the players.
Some Random Dude
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter
Location: Got a Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart.

Go Reblels!!!!!!!

rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

parrotreb wrote:

Go Reblels!!!!!!!

Randy
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

rewalters wrote:
parrotreb wrote:

Go Reblels!!!!!!!

His choice or our choice, just asking. 8O
You've just got to learn from the wrong things you've done. I came off the rebound, started looking around, figured out it's time to have a little fun.
POPSREB
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Ed Orgeron did to the football team what Pete Boone did to the fans. So give Houston Nutt a break.
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

POPSREB wrote:Ed Orgeron did to the football team what Pete Boone did to the fans. So give Houston Nutt a break.
I haven't said anything from which he needs a break.
rrlynch
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

parrotreb wrote:

Go Reblels!!!!!!!

I concur. Nutt isn't college football's best head coach. Nutt isn't going to set the world on fire. Nutt isn't going to take us to a BCS game. But, after the O firing and his forced resignation, it was the best situation for us. We didn't need a long, embarrassing, arduous coaching search; he has SEC head coach experience; and he was obviously looking for a job in the neighborhood.

Nutt will eventually get us to Cutcliffe-esque heights and most likely retire shortly after. Hopefully, at that point, we can really buckle down and hire another Tommy Tuberville (and friggin PAY HIM this time).

I'm on Nutt's side simply because he's the head coach of my Rebels. That's how I am about all of our coaches until they do something embarrassing or have a horribly underachieving season.
StrongRebel
2nd String
2nd String

IF Auburn loses to Ole Miss and a couple more games this year. And Alabama beats them bad. You might be abler to get Tommy T back if SC doesn't get him first. Then you may get Spurrier.

I'm happy with Nutt. I invest for the long-term.