My first OM game of the year!

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

Here is what I saw today...remember this is my first game to go see them play in person at home.

1. The Jumbotron is everything it was billed to be. Awesome is all I can say.
2. Jevan Snead is a serviceable QB at best. His Head is his best redeeming quality, His arm leaes little to be desired.
3. Our O line cannot give protection at all even against Old Women.
4. McCluster is a great kid and plays his heart out every weekend. He is struggling with fumbles and I know he is frustrated. He is one tuff little guy,
5. Hardy is a best that wasn't used nearly enough today,
6. Coaching gets a grade of C at best today, When we found something that was working we quit using it.
7. We have the worst Fans in College Football. Nobody was "into" the game and I saw folks standing 3 times today screaming... that was it. Most people were acting they were at a funeral.
8. We never tried to make SC one dimensional. We never blitzed or ever put any pressure on Smelly against a very questionable SC O line.
9. Alcorn State and Hinds JC has better DB's than we do. Jamarca Sanford is our only defense against the pass covering 4 guys at once, the other Db's are just window dressing.
10. I was wrong to think we had a chance to go bowling. The Talent is there and the coaching staff has the knowledge to fix this... the problem is they have to "Want to" and not play dead... players and Coaches have to try to win, they didn't today..
11. I was ashamed of everything I saw on the field today.
12.Our Women are still the best part of the gameday experience (I saw some great looking Babes today).
13. Jonathan Cornell would have done better going to class today than he did as our MLB.
14. The REF's that the SEC sends to cover our games are horrible...both teams were mugging each other at the line of scrimmage and there wasn't 1 holding penalty called all day. Inexcusable.
15. If we win any more games this year I will be surprised. We really stunk it up out there today, almost every aspect of the game was horrid, plenty of blame to go around for almost everyone.
16. Our Rb's are giving their all , but it is mostly for naught when the D and coaches aren't more creative and help some.
17. Josh Sheen is a poster child for excellence in kicking FG's.
18. SC had some pretty nice fans overall.
19. The stands were pretty vacant. No way we had 54,628 today.
20. If any recruits attended today, we didn't help ourselves one bit...I would be ashamed to ask any of them to come down and help us out.

This is all I could think of at the time. If I think of more I will come back and post later.

Disheartened,
Hags
Later,
Hagar
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Hagar wrote:Here is what I saw today...remember this is my first game to go see them play in person at home.

2. Jevan Snead is a serviceable QB at best. His Head is his best redeeming quality, His arm leaes little to be desired.
4. McCluster is a great kid and plays his heart out every weekend. He is struggling with fumbles and I know he is frustrated. He is one tuff little guy,
6. Coaching gets a grade of C at best today, When we found something that was working we quit using it.
7. We have the worst Fans in College Football. Nobody was "into" the game and I saw folks standing 3 times today screaming... that was it. Most people were acting they were at a funeral.
8. We never tried to make SC one dimensional. We never blitzed or ever put any pressure on Smelly against a very questionable SC O line.
9. Alcorn State and Hinds JC has better DB's than we do. Jamarca Sanford is our only defense against the pass covering 4 guys at once, the other Db's are just window dressing.
10. I was wrong to think we had a chance to go bowling. The Talent is there and the coaching staff has the knowledge to fix this... the problem is they have to "Want to" and not play dead... players and Coaches have to try to win, they didn't today..
12.Our Women are still the best part of the gameday experience (I saw some great looking Babes today).
13. Jonathan Cornell would have done better going to class today than he did as our MLB.
14. The REF's that the SEC sends to cover our games are horrible...both teams were mugging each other at the line of scrimmage and there wasn't 1 holding penalty called all day. Inexcusable.
15. If we win any more games this year I will be surprised. We really stunk it up out there today, almost every aspect of the game was horrid, plenty of blame to go around for almost everyone.
16. Our Rb's are giving their all , but it is mostly for naught when the D and coaches aren't more creative and help some.
20. If any recruits attended today, we didn't help ourselves one bit...I would be ashamed to ask any of them to come down and help us out.

This is all I could think of at the time. If I think of more I will come back and post later.

Disheartened,
Hags

I had to work today, so i listened on the radio. It sounded like there might have been 40 people there. That is pathetic.. It has become a major problem over the past few years and really *beep* me off.. Seems like some "fans" are more interested in playing dress up and getting shi-faced than actually supporting the team or even enjoying the game.. If you want to get hammered, hang out at a bar. If you dont want to watch the game, stay in the grove and give your ticket to somebody who gives a shi--..
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

MageeRebel425 wrote:
Hagar wrote:Here is what I saw today...remember this is my first game to go see them play in person at home.

Disheartened,
Hags

I had to work today, so i listened on the radio. It sounded like there might have been 40 people there. That is pathetic.. It has become a major problem over the past few years and really *beep* me off.. Seems like some "fans" are more interested in playing dress up and getting shi-faced than actually supporting the team or even enjoying the game.. If you want to get hammered, hang out at a bar. If you dont want to watch the game, stay in the grove and give your ticket to somebody who gives a shi--..
AMEN!
Later,
Hagar
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Thanks for the analysis Hagar, much appreciated. I was wondering about the crowd, they did seem subdued at times.

I will only take issue with number two, I think Snead is much more than serviceable. Seth was serviceable, I think Snead is a much better QB. The two games I have seen live (Fl and today) he has been making the correct reads and at times he exhibits a very strong arm. What he lacks is experience, and that shows on his deep throws. He is short in most all of them, this tell me he is not trusting his arm and trying to aim it. He has the arm strength, I watch him stand flat footed on the 30 and hit receivers in stride on the 10, so arm strenght is not a concern with me. I just hope he can settle down trust his ablities and just let it fly, he is a scrambling gunslinger by nature. I don't know if it is coaching philosophy or what, but I am not sure he is being utilized to his fullest. During his freshman year at UT, Mack Brown even commented that Jevan is more of a freelancer that likes to have muliple options. That being said I thought he looked really well today, he was hitting his marks, making the correct reads, and staying calm while in the pocket.

JMO, give him a couple more games, I think we have seen real progress over the last couple of games and he will shine before he leaves.
Randy
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

rewalters wrote:Thanks for the analysis Hagar, much appreciated. I was wondering about the crowd, they did seem subdued at times.

I will only take issue with number two, I think Snead is much more than serviceable. Seth was serviceable, I think Snead is a much better QB. The two games I have seen live (Fl and today) he has been making the correct reads and at times he exhibits a very strong arm. What he lacks is experience, and that shows on his deep throws. He is short in most all of them, this tell me he is not trusting his arm and trying to aim it. He has the arm strength, I watch him stand flat footed on the 30 and hit receivers in stride on the 10, so arm strenght is not a concern with me. I just hope he can settle down trust his ablities and just let it fly, he is a scrambling gunslinger by nature. I don't know if it is coaching philosophy or what, but I am not sure he is being utilized to his fullest. During his freshman year at UT, Mack Brown even commented that Jevan is more of a freelancer that likes to have muliple options. That being said I thought he looked really well today, he was hitting his marks, making the correct reads, and staying calm while in the pocket.

JMO, give him a couple more games, I think we have seen real progress over the last couple of games and he will shine before he leaves.
the biggest thing I noticed is that he was not seeing his 2nd and 3rd reciever progressions and usually ended up trying to force his throws...many times today we had a receiver wide open and Jevan never even saw him. Some of that may have been due to our O line sucking eggs all day.
Later,
Hagar
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Hagar wrote:
rewalters wrote:Thanks for the analysis Hagar, much appreciated. I was wondering about the crowd, they did seem subdued at times.

the biggest thing I noticed is that he was not seeing his 2nd and 3rd reciever progressions and usually ended up trying to force his throws...many times today we had a receiver wide open and Jevan never even saw him. Some of that may have been due to our O line sucking eggs all day.
I think you are on to something there, after mid way through the 2nd quarter, he did not have a whole lot of time. That is not to say he didn't go with his first read on occasion when he should have progressed. But as a whole I thought he made good reads on most downs, he was pretty accurate for the most part. The first half he was something like 13 for 15, the second half he definitely had a ton more pressure.

If memory serves, the only pass he was bailed out on was the one to D-Mac the rest were pretty much between the numbers, at least the 21 out of the 31 he completed. :lol:
Randy
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter
Location: Got a Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart.

I agree on most things but will vehemently disagree on Sanford being able to play pass defense. He is playing well above his talent on heart and knowing football but the speed and quickness just isn't there. Great run support but I don't see the pass defense. If he wasn't the leader he is, I tink he would be watching Johnny Brown.

MIchael Oher is one of the most overrated players I have ever seen.
You've just got to learn from the wrong things you've done. I came off the rebound, started looking around, figured out it's time to have a little fun.
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

parrotreb wrote:I agree on most things but will vehemently disagree on Sanford being able to play pass defense. He is playing well above his talent on heart and knowing football but the speed and quickness just isn't there. Great run support but I don't see the pass defense. If he wasn't the leader he is, I tink he would be watching Johnny Brown.

Do you think it is Sanford, or more a product of the corners being below average at best. I think we are asking alot from our safties, if I am not mistaken they lead the team in tackles. That is a bad sign in itself. I think Sanford is a very good strong saftey, but he is being ask to play more of a free saftey or a saftey in a cover two with no inside support.

I may be wrong but I think your blame may be misplaced. No matter the secondary has problems indeed.

The Oher comment, now that is a hot sports opinion right there! :)
Randy
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter
Location: Got a Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart.

rewalters wrote:
parrotreb wrote:I agree on most things but will vehemently disagree on Sanford being able to play pass defense. He is playing well above his talent on heart and knowing football but the speed and quickness just isn't there. Great run support but I don't see the pass defense. If he wasn't the leader he is, I tink he would be watching Johnny Brown.

Do you think it is Sanford, or more a product of the corners being below average at best. I think we are asking alot from our safties, if I am not mistaken they lead the team in tackles. That is a bad sign in itself. I think Sanford is a very good strong saftey, but he is being ask to play more of a free saftey or a saftey in a cover two with no inside support.

I may be wrong but I think your blame may be misplaced. No matter the secondary has problems indeed.

The Oher comment, now that is a hot sports opinion right there! :)
Sanford is very good against the run, one half of the equation. But I am not blaming him for the entire downfall of the defense, only being not a very good defender against the pass. He still makes a lot of tackles but doesn't really defend against the pass other than that.
You've just got to learn from the wrong things you've done. I came off the rebound, started looking around, figured out it's time to have a little fun.
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

parrotreb wrote:Sanford is very good against the run, one half of the equation. But I am not blaming him for the entire downfall of the defense, only being not a very good defender against the pass. He still makes a lot of tackles but doesn't really defend against the pass other than that.
Fair enough, I just think for what he is being ask to do he is doing a tremendous job. If the corners were stronger I think your assesment may be different.
Randy
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

rewalters wrote:
parrotreb wrote:Sanford is very good against the run, one half of the equation. But I am not blaming him for the entire downfall of the defense, only being not a very good defender against the pass. He still makes a lot of tackles but doesn't really defend against the pass other than that.
Fair enough, I just think for what he is being ask to do he is doing a tremendous job. If the corners were stronger I think your assesment may be different.
If the corners were stronger, or if teams only ran 2 receivers, . . . . He has to play in pass situations. He isn't always picking up blown coverage from a corner. He has his own responsibilities. He's doing all that he can, that he can. I'm not questioning his desire.
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

parrotreb wrote:
rewalters wrote:
If the corners were stronger, or if teams only ran 2 receivers, . . . . He has to play in pass situations. He isn't always picking up blown coverage from a corner. He has his own responsibilities. He's doing all that he can, that he can. I'm not questioning his desire.
True, but for the most part the D was playing zone, a lot of cover two I might add. Without inside help, not to mention a poor pass rush from the front four you are asking an awful lot from you safeties.

No matter we do agree the secondary was pitful as a whole. I really wish we would have went to man to man and blitzed more in the second half. It couldn't have been worse.
Randy
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

reread my post... I said Jamarca was our ONLY pass defense. The rest need to be boiled in oil or sacrificed at dawn.
Later,
Hagar
RebelFIL
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Did any of you actually watch the game?

You are all correct about the crowd, quite poor. We should be loud on every 3rd down, not just the important ones. Most of our fans don't even understand that we are good. They see rankings and W-L only. Remember, we haven't been ranked since the 2003 season and we sure haven't had too many wins since then.

Offensively, we surpassed SC's defensive averages by halftime.

Jevan was quite good today. He had excellent stats. The fumble was bad, but the interception was more of a situation/play calling issue.

Our O-line is a whole lot more porous than I would like, but we have matched up against some of the best d-lines in the country. Today's might have been the best; if not then florida's, but look also at what Vandy's line and blitzing is doing to everyone.

Our secondary played fine, other than the sets against the bubble screens, but only one of those broke for a long gain.

The reason our secondary looked abused was due to the lack of a consistent rush on the QB (Smelley). We got to him a few times, but he mostly had all day. The SC receivers would only have to be average to get open after all of the time Smelley had. Further, McKinley made some spectacular grabs (he has been injured of late). I really can't believe we couldn't get more pressure. I thought their QBs would get murdered. It is either 'hat's off' to whomever worked with the SC O-line this week, or a problem with our front 7.

We did do very well against the run (2.2 yd avg.), although I thought we would have done better based on SC's O-line performance this year.

These 2 teams were entirely too evenly matched for us to give them a TD on that Snead fumble and to lose the ball again while going in for a score. You must have seen that they didn't give us any of those favors, right?

This is a good, good team with an addiction to mistakes. Remember, last week Urban Meyer berated his team's mistake problems. WE HAD MORE MISTAKES IN THAT GAME THAN FLORIDA. We have had a high number of mistakes in each game this season. I hope we solve some of this in the bye week. We can beat Alabama.
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Hagar wrote:

reread my post... I said Jamarca was our ONLY pass defense. The rest need to be boiled in oil or sacrificed at dawn.
Reread mine, I disagree.

Edited to add: Maybe, just maybe, he covered someone in the South Carolina game. It would be the first where he consistently did that this year.