hm... I thought somebody was taking plays off...

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

read this quote from Nutt's Presser... seems like lot of the players were taking plays off... not to single out Gregg but it seems there were many others as well.

"Since the South Carolina game, some have asked why DE Greg Hardy did not play more. Nutt responded.

"Greg wasn't playing with the energy we are used to with him. He's a high level energy guy when he is at full throttle and he just wasn't there," Nutt said, "but he certainly wasn't the only one that day. We just weren't right that day. I thought we were ready, but when you watch the film you know we are faster and better than what we showed on that day.

"We beat Florida using a lot of guys and every one of them played with a lot of energy and intensity. But you have to be productive to be out there and we'll keep any eye on who's producing and who isn't. That was one problem Saturday - we didn't have a lot of people producing. If there was one guy who was playing at a high level, it was Ashlee Palmer. He had his best game. We want him to keep playing just like that."

this goes to the point of motivation...that is Coaching.
Later,
Hagar
done

Hagar wrote:

Also goes to the point of individual character...and as great a player as Hardy is, he has given us pause for concern before. These issues have been exposed as being rampant during the past 3 years. Nutt is doing what he can to address that and sitting your butt down even if you are a star is the right approach to take when it rears its ugly head.
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Rebchuck18 wrote:
Hagar wrote:

Also goes to the point of individual character...and as great a player as Hardy is, he has given us pause for concern before. These issues have been exposed as being rampant during the past 3 years. Nutt is doing what he can to address that and sitting your butt down even if you are a star is the right approach to take when it rears its ugly head.
Agreed. He's pushing these kids to get their heads on straight. But it took years for the "O attitude" to show its presence, and no matter how hard Nutt tries, he'll never completely get rid of it until the team is 100% his kids.

It's easy to say that Nutt should boot him, but we are in desperate need of wins, and it's hard to pull the trigger when (on a good day) this cat can ruin an O line. I think Nutt should get what he can out of these types of guys for the time that they are here and then let them slowly fade out as new recruits come in. Unless they do something really stupid like challenging a Coach, or seriously hurting team morale, just let him give his best on a few occasions, help us win some games, and then let him ride off into the Walmart stocking crew sunset after his time is done at OM.
L. S. WHO?
done

oxpatchreb wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:
Hagar wrote:

Agreed. He's pushing these kids to get their heads on straight. But it took years for the "O attitude" to show its presence, and no matter how hard Nutt tries, he'll never completely get rid of it until the team is 100% his kids.

It's easy to say that Nutt should boot him, but we are in desperate need of wins, and it's hard to pull the trigger when (on a good day) this cat can ruin an O line. I think Nutt should get what he can out of these types of guys for the time that they are here and then let them slowly fade out as new recruits come in. Unless they do something really stupid like challenging a Coach, or seriously hurting team morale, just let him give his best on a few occasions, help us win some games, and then let him ride off into the Walmart stocking crew sunset after his time is done at OM.
Hardy will get his shot in the NFL...and maybe a little tough love will help him make the most of that shot. I am not in any way saying boot him, or anybody unless they do something horrible, but I am all for sitting their butts down if they aren't giving maximum effort.

I just have a gut feeling about Nutt and this staff that they will right this ship if we don't let our expectations of this season get out of hand...six wins and I am happy enough not to obsess on whether or not that could have or should have been 8 wins, because I know that it was just a matter of inches that gave us the win in Gainesville as much as it was a matter of inches (the distance between Dexter and the goal line when he fumbled) that lost us the Vandy game.

If we get that six then it is up to Nutt to improve upon thart next year, but I will not allow myself to put the horse before the cart no matter how excited I get about a close loss we couls have won.
GtownRebel
All American
All American

Greg Hardy is a good guy really. He plays hard. Everyone has an off day and his was last week. He stayed after practice yesterday with two others and did fundamentals for an extra 30 minutes. If he didn't care, why would he do this on his own? Honestly, he is a good guy that has gotten a bad rap at times.
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter
Location: Got a Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart.

GtownRebel wrote:Greg Hardy is a good guy really. He plays hard. Everyone has an off day and his was last week. He stayed after practice yesterday with two others and did fundamentals for an extra 30 minutes. If he didn't care, why would he do this on his own? Honestly, he is a good guy that has gotten a bad rap at times.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ before his very eyes. At least that should be one of his motivating factors. Plenty of folks with his kind of physical talent on the outside of the league looking in wondering what happened.
You've just got to learn from the wrong things you've done. I came off the rebound, started looking around, figured out it's time to have a little fun.
A10Rebel
3rd String
3rd String

You can't blame coaching for poor execution. Taking a day off, taking a play off, lack of intensity is in the players hand. A coach can't make you do anything you need to do on the football field. A player knows what he needs to do and needs to learn to do it. Firing coaches for a fumble or missed block, or pure lack of effort is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

Look ya'll it's not at all like last year. We got killed in a lot of games last year and to be honest even in the close ones we were always holding our breath. The three losses here I feel like we lost them not because of lack of coaching but just because of pure execution. Play the d*** game. Watch your film. Don't give penalties, hold on to the football. This team can roll with anyone but these guys have to want to play every quarter and not just the first half with a ten minute break in the third and the last eight minutes of the the fourth. Fumbles are a PLAYER'S fault. Missed assignments are a PLAYER'S fault. If I tell a guy that on this play he needs to block B gap and he blocks C gap or loafs on a play the whole play is ruined. It's that simple. Do your job, dominate the man in front of you and we'll win. Don't lift weights all summer and run your tail off to get blown up on a play. That's not what you train for. These kids just simply have to learn their position and the importance of winning their individual battle in that position. Coaches teach, players learn and execute the material; then we win. Period.

If I had our offense and every player would win his battle I could run A gap all day and score at will. Every play in that playbook is a winner, plays are all designed to score.

Our problem is getting all our guys to put a full game together week in and week out. Look at our record and tell me what you see...
"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."
-Wayne Dyer
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

That was the first game of the year that I thought we got outplayed. We won the 1st quarter, but after the Snead shovel pass/fumble for 6, it seemed that SCar turned it up a notch. Yes, we had opportunities to make plays but SCar DID make the plays. The TD catch and the instant hit, 9 out of 10 times the WR drops the ball. That was a great play by them.

We had just sacked their QB for a big loss and I was thinking we would bring the pressure again. We only rushed 3 and gave Smelley plenty of time to find his receiver.

Still don't understand why we abandoned the Wild Rebel in the 2nd half. I think we only ran it one time. Also sick and tired of the dam turnovers. Protect the ball at all costs. How many pick 6's and/or fumble for 6's are we going to give up this year??????? Frustrating.

I don't see any problem with the coaching staffs motivation. The ones wearing the pads have to do their part of 'getting up' for games. I thought we were up, he!!, we opened up with a 14 point lead. The problem is staying focused and not to get rattled. I was hoping that we had shed that after the UF game, but guess not.

We better stay focused on Bama or we'll get rolled out of Tuscaloosa in hurry.
Nutt calls the formation the Wild Rebel. Which sure beats the heck out of Orgeron's Wild Boys.
----Calkins