How many wins from here on out?

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebeloke
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

I would like to see us beat Arkansas and Auburn, obviously ULM, and State for sure. I think we have a shot at knocking off LSU because of how bad they looked against FL. So guys tell me who thinks we can beat Bama? Now if we beat Bama, again I ask you, why should we not just run the table? I mean look it, Auburn is playing very bad right now. Arkansas is still horrible in my opinion but every dog has its day and they did against AU. However, they are not like us who should have won or could have won every game we have played. They had some come from behind wins against weak teams got blown away by good teams and played Auburn on a day were Auburn was not exactly clicking on all cylinders. LSU has talent but no team identity. MSU is a bit of question for me. I mean of all the games left other than Bama that one scares me more than any.
RebelFIL
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

If we keep making a lot of mistakes, we will lose 2 or 3 more games. If we greatly reduce the mistakes, we will lose 1 more game.

That gives us between 6 and 8 wins.

Preseason, I felt like we had a 8 or 9 win team, but we play a 6 win schedule. After watching us play, this is a 10 win team with an 8 win schedule.

I am happy so far, but the players really need a bowl game.
rebeloke
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

RebelFIL wrote:If we keep making a lot of mistakes, we will lose 2 or 3 more games. If we greatly reduce the mistakes, we will lose 1 more game.

That gives us between 6 and 8 wins.

Preseason, I felt like we had a 8 or 9 win team, but we play a 6 win schedule. After watching us play, this is a 10 win team with an 8 win schedule.

I am happy so far, but the players really need a bowl game.
Preseason, I felt like we would make improvement if we won 5 games, which of course is true. It was not until that Wake Game at the end with that last drive that I saw a potential that I could not have hoped for during preseason.

Truthfully I was not suprised that we lost the way we did to Vandy. This team needed to have Vandy do that to them in order to learn how to do it to Florida. We mimicked Vandy in Florida with the stripped balls and forced turnovers and the fourth down stands. Now what was a shocker was the Samford and South Carolina games. We came off of solid performances and let down big time in each game. Now the SC game we came out somewhat strong but folded big time in the end. The Samford game was a disappointment because we should have whipped them up one side and down the other side of the field. Which we certainly did not.

So in all I truly do not know what it is going to take to gel as they say. But I do know this that our team has enough talent 2 deep to play with anybody. LSU and Bama are three deep and we are only one deep at some spots but we have enough talent if we do not have too many injuries to finish strong. Caveat, if Greg Hardy will get his butt in gear because he is a difference maker.
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I see us going 3-3 with a possibility of going 4-2.

ULM - Better be a win
State - Another better be, especially since it is at VHS
Auburn/Arkansas - probably not both, Arkansas will be tough in Arky land, and who knows what Auburn's offense will be doing.

Bama/LSUX - My heart says yes, but my head is telling me not to hold my breath.

But, I will say if we play consistent well disciplined football we have a chance to beat anybody on any given Saturday. That is a lot more than I could say last year!
Randy
ekmjr1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I think it all depends on our pass rush/coverage. USC epxosed our weakness at those two areas in the second half of that game. Their QB, who looked all pro against us, had done nothing spectacular prior to playing us. We made him look like he was the best QB in the SEC. If we continue to play like that, we will be lucky to go 3 - 3. If we shore that up, we could win out possibly.

Bama is still a wild card for me. I'm hoping for big things in this game, as I'm making the trip over. Last time I saw us play there, we got thumped 45-7 I think. It was Alexander left, and Alexander right all day long. I think he ran for about 150 yards on us. It was pathetic, and we tend to play like that whenever we go over there. I'm hoping this year will be much different, so I just don't know.
rebeloke
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

ekmjr1 wrote:I think it all depends on our pass rush/coverage. USC epxosed our weakness at those two areas in the second half of that game. Their QB, who looked all pro against us, had done nothing spectacular prior to playing us. We made him look like he was the best QB in the SEC. If we continue to play like that, we will be lucky to go 3 - 3. If we shore that up, we could win out possibly.

Bama is still a wild card for me. I'm hoping for big things in this game, as I'm making the trip over. Last time I saw us play there, we got thumped 45-7 I think. It was Alexander left, and Alexander right all day long. I think he ran for about 150 yards on us. It was pathetic, and we tend to play like that whenever we go over there. I'm hoping this year will be much different, so I just don't know.
The good news is that Bama is not as good as everyone has made them out to be and we are not a bad as our record would seem to indicate. We have been in every game, I see no reason why we will not be in this game until the end. Chances are that Bama will make some plays. The question will be can we respond in kind, the way that TX did against OU. I think that an Ole Miss win will be identical to the TX win if it is going to happen. I will go on record and say that Bama will score 30 points on us. Can we score big time as well?
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeloke wrote:The good news is that Bama is not as good as everyone has made them out to be and we are not a bad as our record would seem to indicate. We have been in every game, I see no reason why we will not be in this game until the end. Chances are that Bama will make some plays. The question will be can we respond in kind, the way that TX did against OU. I think that an Ole Miss win will be identical to the TX win if it is going to happen. I will go on record and say that Bama will score 30 points on us. Can we score big time as well?
I think Bama has a very good team, but I do tend to agree with everything else you said. I also believe it will come down to how we respond during the 3rd and 4th quarters.

Bama is going to score, will we be able to answer when push comes to shove, that is the question. I can see us going toe to toe, but I also can see us getting overwhelmed and letting things get out of hand very quickly.
Randy
rebeloke
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

rewalters wrote:
rebeloke wrote:The good news is that Bama is not as good as everyone has made them out to be and we are not a bad as our record would seem to indicate. We have been in every game, I see no reason why we will not be in this game until the end. Chances are that Bama will make some plays. The question will be can we respond in kind, the way that TX did against OU. I think that an Ole Miss win will be identical to the TX win if it is going to happen. I will go on record and say that Bama will score 30 points on us. Can we score big time as well?
I think Bama has a very good team, but I do tend to agree with everything else you said. I also believe it will come down to how we respond during the 3rd and 4th quarters.

Bama is going to score, will we be able to answer when push comes to shove, that is the question. I can see us going toe to toe, but I also can see us getting overwhelmed and letting things get out of hand very quickly.
And let's face it Bama is a hard team to beat in T-town. Nutt got close last year, so I think he would really love to make up for that this year. But based on how tough Nutt coaches on the road I would say that we stand as good if not better a chance beating them there as we do here at home.
Chucky_38
All American
All American

I think we finish up 5-7. I believe if we were going to eliminate the stupid mistakes that have cost us three games this year we would have done that by the USC game. We just don't finish very well. We did at Florida and I'm very thankful for that but I just don't think we can all of a sudden stop turning the ball over. We have consistently done that against everyone this year. We did turn it over once in the swamp as well. Game by game:

Alabama- We don't win in Tuscaloosa. Doesn't matter who our coach is or how bad or good Bama is playing. We don't win there. We won't Saturday. I feel Bama wins by 17-21 points.

Arkansas- If they can go into Auburn and beat the Tigers they can beat us at home. Its that simple. Auburn had more talent and and every reason to win that game. They played poorly and Arkansas played better than they have all year. The Razorbacks will beat us but it will be close.

Auburn- Tubbs has NEVER lost in Oxford as the Tigers head coach. Auburn is a defensive monster. If they haven't quit by the time they come to Ole Miss they will force turnovers and beat us in a close one. Their D is better than Vandys or USCs.

UL Monroe- We win it by 14 points. Depsite turnovers.

LSU- This will be a close, close game. We may even take them to overtime. But Nutt's OT magic will not work this time and LSU's talent will win the game. But it will be fun to watch.

MState- This will be a frustratingly close game. Like the Vandy and South Carolina games we will have chances to blow them out early but will make mistakes and allow them to hang around. However this time we finish and reclaim our Egg.

Of course this is just my humble opinion. I hope we can pull of another win somewhere along the line. I will say that if we do indeed finish 5-7 I will be okay with it. Thats more wins in one season since the 03 campaign. Nutt was hired to improve our program and 5 wins would do that. Plus a win over a top 5 team. On the road.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
ekmjr1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Chucky_38 wrote:I think we finish up 5-7. I believe if we were going to eliminate the stupid mistakes that have cost us three games this year we would have done that by the USC game. We just don't finish very well. We did at Florida and I'm very thankful for that but I just don't think we can all of a sudden stop turning the ball over. We have consistently done that against everyone this year. We did turn it over once in the swamp as well. Game by game:

Alabama- We don't win in Tuscaloosa. Doesn't matter who our coach is or how bad or good Bama is playing. We don't win there. We won't Saturday. I feel Bama wins by 17-21 points.

Arkansas- If they can go into Auburn and beat the Tigers they can beat us at home. Its that simple. Auburn had more talent and and every reason to win that game. They played poorly and Arkansas played better than they have all year. The Razorbacks will beat us but it will be close.

Auburn- Tubbs has NEVER lost in Oxford as the Tigers head coach. Auburn is a defensive monster. If they haven't quit by the time they come to Ole Miss they will force turnovers and beat us in a close one. Their D is better than Vandys or USCs.

LSU- This will be a close, close game. We may even take them to overtime. But Nutt's OT magic will not work this time and LSU's talent will win the game. But it will be fun to watch.

MState- This will be a frustratingly close game. Like the Vandy and South Carolina games we will have chances to blow them out early but will make mistakes and allow them to hang around. However this time we finish and reclaim our Egg.

Of course this is just my humble opinion. I hope we can pull of another win somewhere along the line. I will say that if we do indeed finish 5-7 I will be okay with it. Thats more wins in one season since the 03 campaign. Nutt was hired to improve our program and 5 wins would do that. Plus a win over a top 5 team. On the road.
I could see our season playing out exactly like you stated, so it's not out of the question. However, this team is anything but predictable, so it could play out just the opposite with us winning all but ULM and State. I gave up trying to figure it out after Florida. I expected us to get blown out at Florida, and we actually win the game. Then I expected us to win over USC and after the first quarter, I thought we would win big, and then we get beat? I give up trying to guess which team will show up each week.
rebeloke
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Chucky_38 wrote:I think we finish up 5-7. I believe if we were going to eliminate the stupid mistakes that have cost us three games this year we would have done that by the USC game. We just don't finish very well. We did at Florida and I'm very thankful for that but I just don't think we can all of a sudden stop turning the ball over. We have consistently done that against everyone this year. We did turn it over once in the swamp as well. Game by game:

With your prediction you are not likely to get disappointed but you may be pleasantly surprised. I cannot say that I blame you for putting less stock in our program that I do. After all we have not shown you much as you have said. Again I cannot blame you for how you feel about Bama because based on history what you say is true, as well about Tubby. However, you have room for a revision because let me tell you Arkansas is going to get beat by their old ball coach. Nutt will see to it that we win that game. Auburn is anything but their usual self so I think you might revise your expectations there a bit as well. Worst case scenario we will win three more and likely four.
badmotorfinger
All American
All American

I still think this team could be really good before the end of the season. After the bama game, I like our chances against every one of our remaining games, given how these teams have been playing lately.
Rule #1.......Don't panik
Theres a rebel in every1

Re:How many wins from here on out?

I will take a guess and say 3 or more and a bowl game bid.
Last edited by Theres a rebel in every1 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chucky_38
All American
All American

rebeloke wrote:

With your prediction you are not likely to get disappointed but you may be pleasantly surprised. I cannot say that I blame you for putting less stock in our program that I do. After all we have not shown you much as you have said. Again I cannot blame you for how you feel about Bama because based on history what you say is true, as well about Tubby. However, you have room for a revision because let me tell you Arkansas is going to get beat by their old ball coach. Nutt will see to it that we win that game. Auburn is anything but their usual self so I think you might revise your expectations there a bit as well. Worst case scenario we will win three more and likely four.
I really hope you are right. I would love to go bowling this year!
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
MikeStone
Water Boy
Water Boy

We could win all the games after seeing what LSU did against UF. Bama is probably a loss, but the rest (except ULM) should be very competitive games (would be nice if we could have a comfortable victory- like the Memphis one- against Arky, MSU or Auburn).