So what is the deal with Powe?

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebeloke
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

I mean we heard he was a 1st round type player, a once in a decade player and that he single handedly could influence the outcome of the game, kinda like Hardy. We waited three years to get him on the field and now all we can talk about is Greg Hardy. Why hasn't Powe made more of an impact? Was he that out of shape? I thought that he was supposed to be able to run with LBs in their drills but the way Nutt has talked about him has been as if they needed for him to improve his conditioning to be able to contribute. I guess sitting on the sidelines for three years has taken its toll on the boy. I hope he can find his stride and this week against Bama would be a good week to make some big plays.
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Like you said, he's been out of football for 3 years. He does a good job of clogging things up in the middle. He often gets double teamed. DT's do not make a lot of tackles, they are in there to keep OL off of the linebackers so that they can make tackles and be free to move from sideline to sideline.

More than anything, I think it's the 3 year lay off and the fact that people thought that he was going to be all everything his first year back. You just don't see many first year players dominating in the SEC trenches.
Nutt calls the formation the Wild Rebel. Which sure beats the heck out of Orgeron's Wild Boys.
----Calkins
RebelFIL
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

It is the 3 years. As a former athlete (not D1-level for sure), I can attest; it is the 3 years.

Further, he does look like he will be quite good in the future. I thought it was particularly wonderful when he single-handedly stalled Percy Harvin out in the flat, in space. They were in a Mexican standoff before the Ole Miss calvary came in to tackle Harvin. I just found it funny that Percy seemed to believe he couldn't just run around the 350 lbs. Powe. He probably had never seen a man that size out there in the flat.
badmotorfinger
All American
All American

Redbluedude wrote:Like you said, he's been out of football for 3 years. He does a good job of clogging things up in the middle. He often gets double teamed. DT's do not make a lot of tackles, they are in there to keep OL off of the linebackers so that they can make tackles and be free to move from sideline to sideline.

More than anything, I think it's the 3 year lay off and the fact that people thought that he was going to be all everything his first year back. You just don't see many first year players dominating in the SEC trenches.
I agree with you. It's not really fair to judge a DT on TFLs. Powe provides a big presence in the middle and while he might not make many tackles, he still disrupts things there. I think all of our DTs have done pretty good job. We're only giving up about 113 yds/game. That 's pretty good IMHO
Rule #1.......Don't panik
tidenumber1
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

badmotorfinger wrote:
Redbluedude wrote:Like you said, he's been out of football for 3 years. He does a good job of clogging things up in the middle. He often gets double teamed. DT's do not make a lot of tackles, they are in there to keep OL off of the linebackers so that they can make tackles and be free to move from sideline to sideline.

I agree with you. It's not really fair to judge a DT on TFLs. Powe provides a big presence in the middle and while he might not make many tackles, he still disrupts things there. I think all of our DTs have done pretty good job. We're only giving up about 113 yds/game. That 's pretty good IMHO

I hope that changes Saturday! :twisted:
badmotorfinger
All American
All American

tidenumber1 wrote:
badmotorfinger wrote:

I hope that changes Saturday! :twisted:
,,l,, :twisted: ,,l,,
Rule #1.......Don't panik
MikeStone
Water Boy
Water Boy

Powe will come around, it's been 3 years, he's gotta polish up his skills, he'll be a dominating D-lineman next year, I believe.

BTW--what's with him wearing number 57? He should definitely have a number in the 90s! 57 looks too linebackerish.

Stone
BigTrev34
All SEC
All SEC

rebeloke wrote:I mean we heard he was a 1st round type player, a once in a decade player and that he single handedly could influence the outcome of the game, kinda like Hardy. We waited three years to get him on the field and now all we can talk about is Greg Hardy. Why hasn't Powe made more of an impact? Was he that out of shape? I thought that he was supposed to be able to run with LBs in their drills but the way Nutt has talked about him has been as if they needed for him to improve his conditioning to be able to contribute. I guess sitting on the sidelines for three years has taken its toll on the boy. I hope he can find his stride and this week against Bama would be a good week to make some big plays.
He is a freshman man. He will start next year when Peria goes and I think if he gets it all back he can replace Peria, and he could bebetter than Peria if everything falls right. He will get drafted bc he can be a block-eater in the NFL in a 3-4 system. Hopefully when hes going to go pro SF takes a look at him. willis and Powe. That just sounds good. I gotta quit showing my man crush on ole Willis.
coffeeshop
Water Boy
Water Boy

I think the staff hase been able to bring Powe along slower because of the play of Laurent. He leads the team in TFL's and is tied for the second most in the conference(and that's after a bye week). Can you imagine next year with Powe, Laurent, and Scott having a full year of SEC experience. Add in Smith and there shouldn't be much drop off from this year.
tanichols
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

What season is this guy watching? You gotta judge Powe like he is (A True Freshman) He has been outstanding for a freshman.