Bama Thread.....

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

felicianareb
2nd String
2nd String

Random thoughts. Still don't know why we don't run the screen? Our D-line raised up on their haunches in the 2nd half. I'm pretty close to agreeing with Chuck on McCluster and his fumbling (as a side note: Snead looked mad as hell on the McCluster fumble: Did you see the tackle he made?). Even though I was tremendously proud of our boys for not folding like a piece of paper in the 2nd half, I knew in my gut of guts that not making 3rd and one and 4th and one spelled doom. If we score on that drive it gets real interesting. In spite of that ......... for a moment... just a moment... I thought maybe the football gods were about to smile on us when Shene bounced that last field goal through. BUT!!! I'm old enough to know better.
done

felicianareb wrote:Random thoughts. Still don't know why we don't run the screen? Our D-line raised up on their haunches in the 2nd half. I'm pretty close to agreeing with Chuck on McCluster and his fumbling (as a side note: Snead looked mad as hell on the McCluster fumble: Did you see the tackle he made?). Even though I was tremendously proud of our boys for not folding like a piece of paper in the 2nd half, I knew in my gut of guts that not making 3rd and one and 4th and one spelled doom. If we score on that drive it gets real interesting. In spite of that ......... for a moment... just a moment... I thought maybe the football gods were about to smile on us when Shene bounced that last field goal through. BUT!!! I'm old enough to know better.
As an addendum to my comment on Dexter...Snead doesn't have a whole lot of room to be mad at Dexter...he still has trouble holding onto the ball himself...but he is the only QB Coach Nutt has...

Which brings me to this.....Cut gets raked over the coals for not recruiting a Good post Eli QB....Well Coach O apparently fared no better..Snead fell into our hands and beyond that we are, shall we say "Tapp-ed" out...and also apparently Coach O was not a good recruiter of DB's, because we have little or no talent there.
OMNOB
2nd String
2nd String

I know I will probably get blitzed here, but why are we jumping all over Snead? He has played only 1/2 season of D-1 ball. Also, let us not forget, he was after-all, a back up when we got him.

I, for one, was not looking for him to be Joe Montana.
"America is the New York Yankees of countries,powerful and respected until the year 2000"-Homer Simpson
rebeloke
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

OMNOB wrote:I know I will probably get blitzed here, but why are we jumping all over Snead? He has played only 1/2 season of D-1 ball. Also, let us not forget, he was after-all, a back up when we got him.

Snead should come around, however, we at Ole Miss have a legendary problem with staying with QBs to a fault. We need to give Snead reps but we ought to have a backup waiting or better yet get a few reps here and there. It appears that there is no way that is going to happen. Nutt strikes me as a guy who prides himself on loyalty. He is going to give Snead a fair chance and apparently appears content to let Snead cost us a few games here and there in order to get him ready for next year. Truthful he is probably right. That is why they pay him the big bucks. They say if you start listening to the fans in the seats it will not be long until you are sitting up there with them. That includes me, I for one am glad I have no control because I would have pulled Snead in the Samford game, for sure in the Vandy game, and he would have never seen the second half in the Bama game. But the kid obviously has moxie and is going to be a gamer one day.
OMNOB
2nd String
2nd String

rebeloke wrote:
OMNOB wrote:I know I will probably get blitzed here, but why are we jumping all over Snead? He has played only 1/2 season of D-1 ball. Also, let us not forget, he was after-all, a back up when we got him.

Snead should come around, however, we at Ole Miss have a legendary problem with staying with QBs to a fault. We need to give Snead reps but we ought to have a backup waiting or better yet get a few reps here and there. It appears that there is no way that is going to happen. Nutt strikes me as a guy who prides himself on loyalty. He is going to give Snead a fair chance and apparently appears content to let Snead cost us a few games here and there in order to get him ready for next year. Truthful he is probably right. That is why they pay him the big bucks. They say if you start listening to the fans in the seats it will not be long until you are sitting up there with them. That includes me, I for one am glad I have no control because I would have pulled Snead in the Samford game, for sure in the Vandy game, and he would have never seen the second half in the Bama game. But the kid obviously has moxie and is going to be a gamer one day.
I agree whole-hearted with you on the Samford and Vandy games, but, as for the Bama game, he was chosen as the "Direct TV Player of the Game" which means the "experts" felt like he was the best player on the field. Can we ask for more than that?
"America is the New York Yankees of countries,powerful and respected until the year 2000"-Homer Simpson
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter
Location: Got a Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart.

We must find Hodge AND Wallace more.
Agree on Hodge, usually money. When Wallace can run any route other that the go in a somewhat consistent manner, then he'll get the ball thrown to him a little more often.

ANd food for thought, why do we bother to recruit TEs? Why? I know folks will say that they have to stay in and pass block, but if you use that receiver, the LBs or safeties will back off because they would then have to play the position honestly.
You've just got to learn from the wrong things you've done. I came off the rebound, started looking around, figured out it's time to have a little fun.
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

You want be getting blitzed from me, I think you are dead on. Seven games people not 2 years and 7 games, 7 games!

I know I got on him pretty hard in the 1st half, but honestly he deserved it, the near fumble and the interception was stupid. He is having problems with reads and for the love of all that is holy, why does he refuse to check down! Drives me crazy! But he will learn and he will get better or we will find somebody else, simple as that.

The bigger issue I have is the apparent lack of trust the coaching staff has in him. IMO, which is usually worth very little, let him go this year, let him throw 25 interceptions, let him make bad decisions, I want him to LEARN. Maybe if he is able to work through the stupid mistakes and become more consistent we can truly have a competent QB for two years giving us time to develop future QBs. Maybe then we will never have to hang our hopes on one guy but rather have a stable than can step in year after year.

Remember, USC in now starting a redshirted freshman, so is LSUX (PFFFT!), I watched both make stupid mistakes, and both looked like they could be very solid in the future. Two years ago a Texas team had a freshman QB that made boneheaded mistakes that cost them at least 2 games he seemed to have turned out pretty well. I also recall an OM team about 6 years ago, who had a Sophmore QB that made a few boneheaded stupid mistakes; he might turnout alright someday also. The good ones get over it, learn from it, and thrive. I am eager to see if we have such a QB, I am betting we do; only time will tell.
Randy
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter
Location: Got a Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart.

rewalters wrote:

You want be getting blitzed from me, I think you are dead on. Seven games people not 2 years and 7 games, 7 games!

I know I got on him pretty hard in the 1st half, but honestly he deserved it, the near fumble and the interception was stupid. He is having problems with reads and for the love of all that is holy, why does he refuse to check down! Drives me crazy! But he will learn and he will get better or we will find somebody else, simple as that.

The bigger issue I have is the apparent lack of trust the coaching staff has in him. IMO, which is usually worth very little, let him go this year, let him throw 25 interceptions, let him make bad decisions, I want him to LEARN. Maybe if he is able to work through the stupid mistakes and become more consistent we can truly have a competent QB for two years giving us time to develop future QBs. Maybe then we will never have to hang our hopes on one guy but rather have a stable than can step in year after year.

Remember, USC in now starting a redshirted freshman, so is LSUX (PFFFT!), I watched both make stupid mistakes, and both looked like they could be very solid in the future. Two years ago a Texas team had a freshman QB that made boneheaded mistakes that cost them at least 2 games he seemed to have turned out pretty well. I also recall an OM team about 6 years ago, who had a Sophmore QB that made a few boneheaded stupid mistakes; he might turnout alright someday also. The good ones get over it, learn from it, and thrive. I am eager to see if we have such a QB, I am betting we do; only time will tell.
Mark Sanchez is a RS junior No need to give Pac 10 more nightmares than they usually have.
You've just got to learn from the wrong things you've done. I came off the rebound, started looking around, figured out it's time to have a little fun.
done

Me neither, but I was thinking that his TD/Int ratio might be better than Brent Schaeffer, and he does fumble the ball a lot. And we are not really getting on him as much as pointing out that with decent QB play we beat Vandy easy....and with decent QB play in the first half of this game we probably beat Bama.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

I didn't think we would have preformed as well as we did against Bama. They do have a very good team. They are coached well. they don't make mistakes. They had a game plan that contained all of our strengths... hats off to their whole team coaches and players.

With that said. I do think some good will come from our loss if anything can be taken away from a loss it is this...

1. We are the only team that LED Bama this year in any game.
2. We covered the point spread expected
3. We silenced the crowd at BD stadium and gave them the closest game they have played all year long and did it at their house... a place we have NO history of winning, almost never (we have only won once there in our entire history).
4. We had many recruits we are wanting to get, come to that game and it was important to at least keep it close...really how many expected us to be in this game in the 4th? If your Ole Miss, and you want to impress a recruit, You have got to keep it competitive and make a good showing and do so as an underdog. I think we helped our cause in this loss. Granted winning this game would have been better but given the talent level of Bama this year, this was really our best case scenario, if we had to lose and couldn't win.

Moral victories are hard to swallow, but given Bama being as good as they are this year, this is the best I think we could have hoped for. nobody had us in this game and deep down I don't think none of us really thought we would win this one.
Later,
Hagar
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

parrotreb wrote:Mark Sanchez is a RS junior No need to give Pac 10 more nightmares than they usually have.
Actually I meant the USC closer to home.

I looked at Sanchez's stats and he really wouldn't help my argument at all, :lol: however I do believe he played some his Sophomore season and has had three years to sit and watch.

I guess it could be argued, that Snead had 1 year at Texas and 1 year here to learn, crap I hate it when I argue with my self. 8O

But in Snead's defense it has been three different systems. There I will leave it at that before I dig a deeper hole.
Randy
rebeloke
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

OMNOB wrote:
rebeloke wrote:

I agree whole-hearted with you on the Samford and Vandy games, but, as for the Bama game, he was chosen as the "Direct TV Player of the Game" which means the "experts" felt like he was the best player on the field. Can we ask for more than that?
I was talking about the first half. He was chosen that for the second half for sure.
done

rebeloke wrote:
OMNOB wrote:
rebeloke wrote: Snead should come around, however, we at Ole Miss have a legendary problem with staying with QBs to a fault. We need to give Snead reps but we ought to have a backup waiting or better yet get a few reps here and there. It appears that there is no way that is going to happen. Nutt strikes me as a guy who prides himself on loyalty. He is going to give Snead a fair chance and apparently appears content to let Snead cost us a few games here and there in order to get him ready for next year. Truthful he is probably right. That is why they pay him the big bucks. They say if you start listening to the fans in the seats it will not be long until you are sitting up there with them. That includes me, I for one am glad I have no control because I would have pulled Snead in the Samford game, for sure in the Vandy game, and he would have never seen the second half in the Bama game. But the kid obviously has moxie and is going to be a gamer one day.
I was talking about the first half. He was chosen that for the second half for sure.
Exactly...

And I was pleased with the second half as well....But for some reason Bama sucks in the second half which is why I can't see them going all the way.
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

rewalters wrote:
parrotreb wrote:Mark Sanchez is a RS junior No need to give Pac 10 more nightmares than they usually have.

I looked at Sanchez's stats and he really wouldn't help my argument at all, :lol: however I do believe he played some his Sophomore season and has had three years to sit and watch.

I guess it could be argued, that Snead had 1 year at Texas and 1 year here to learn, crap I hate it when I argue with my self. 8O

But in Snead's defense it has been three different systems. There I will leave it at that before I dig a deeper hole.
USC is Southern Cal. South Carolina may have the initials but only enjoy misguided and confused identification. :lol: Whenever I hear UT, I think of Texas not Knoxville's pretender.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

parrotreb wrote:
rewalters wrote:

USC is Southern Cal. South Carolina may have the initials but only enjoy misguided and confused identification. :lol: Whenever I hear UT, I think of Texas not Knoxville's pretender.
As they say in the medical profession, regarding looking for diagnoses, when you think of a stampede think horses or cows... not Zebras.
Later,
Hagar