Better days are coming

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

classof97
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

Jimbo wrote:I am too old to cry, and men are not supposed to cry, but I really felt like shedding tears today. Jevan was named player of the game and the last time I think an Ole Miss QB lost and was named player of the game was when Archie received the honor and the Bear came to the locker room to congratulate the team. We lost that one 33-32 if I remember.
I do think we can and will beat Hog Farm USA, ULMonroe, Auburn, Moo U, and that will put us in a bowl of some kind. I also think we can beat the stripped *beep* cats in BR.
I wanted us to be better than our record shows, but I am in hopes our turnovers will diminish and we will get better. Losing sucks.
Being in Texas, I watch the Aggie fans cry every week and they were once a powerhouse. Misery loves company.
I still love Ole Miss.
I love Ole Miss too, but I said on another post that if you look at Jevan's stats, he didn't put up "player of the game numbers. He was only 16 of 31 for just over 180 yards with 1 TD and 1 INT. Jevan also fumbled in a dangerous area and we were lucky to get the ball back. I agree with the games you say we should win, but looking at the schedule at the begining of the seasonj, Vandy and SC were on my list as almost guaranteed W's.
Tcounty
Scout Team
Scout Team

Say what you want ,but we are one or two plays away in the Florida game of being last years team at this point. I'm tired of "take the positives", "moral victories". We almost beat Bamma last year, almost beat Florida last year, Losses to Wake and Vandy, beat Memphis, played poorly against a 2A school. Not much difference.

In the end the only thing that matters is wins and losses.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

It's encouraging to be in close games and actually beat a Florida. But to continuously lose those close games shows how bad we are and have been.

I think Nutt is even shocked at the play and attitude of the players. I know I am. Alabama literally laid down and said 'take it' and we couldn't do it. Something's gotta happen for this team to wake up and I think at this point even the coaching staff is left wondering what that is.
Some Random Dude
rebeloke
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

lewindha wrote:It's encouraging to be in close games and actually beat a Florida. But to continuously lose those close games shows how bad we are and have been.

I think Nutt is even shocked at the play and attitude of the players. I know I am. Alabama literally laid down and said 'take it' and we couldn't do it. Something's gotta happen for this team to wake up and I think at this point even the coaching staff is left wondering what that is.
So Alabama just laid down? I guess that is why they stop us on short yardage on a crucial series in the 4th quarter? I don't think Alabama laid down on the last drive either. Stopping us on 4th and short and then on that last series did not demonstrate a team laying down. The only time Bama laid down in that 4th quarter was when they sacked Snead for a loss in that last drive.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

17-0. That was the second half score. Yes, they laid down. And the national media seems to agree that Bama is having 2nd half problems.
Some Random Dude
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

lewindha wrote:17-0. That was the second half score. Yes, they laid down. And the national media seems to agree that Bama is having 2nd half problems.
My Top 5:

1. Texas
2. Penn State
3. Alabama
4. Oklahoma
5. Florida

Strong consideration for USC for #5.
Nutt calls the formation the Wild Rebel. Which sure beats the heck out of Orgeron's Wild Boys.
----Calkins
A10Rebel
3rd String
3rd String

Tcounty wrote:Say what you want ,but we are one or two plays away in the Florida game of being last years team at this point. I'm tired of "take the positives", "moral victories". We almost beat Bamma last year, almost beat Florida last year, Losses to Wake and Vandy, beat Memphis, played poorly against a 2A school. Not much difference.

In the end the only thing that matters is wins and losses.

Yeah? well I don't subscribe to pessimism or negativity. Despite where we are "record" wise this year. We've finally got someone who can handle the offense at QB. I mean because Schaffer, Flatt, and Spurlock were sooooooooooooooooo awesome. So he's thrown some picks, Eli was good at that too. JS hasn't played in two years, the guy is going to be great.

I'll scream this until I'm blue in the face and maybe some of you will put it together. Our "PROBLEM" is execution. Executing the offense. It's that simple. Turnovers kill football games. We gave up 10 points on turnovers okay? We don't do that and it's a WIN. We don't fumble on the one against Vandy and it's a win. We are nothing like the team we were last year. I don't care how close the games were last year; we were never in any of those games. I had to hold my breath every series. At least this year, barring a fumble from DM, I've got confindence in the fact that we can score on a series when we get the ball back.

I mean, listening to some of you just *beep* me off. I mean what you want everyone to say? You're right. We're going to awful next year so why bother playing; I guess we better not compete. "We're no different than last year." Really? Well I guess we should just hang up the season then.

We can win against Arkansas, we can beat Auburn, we can dominate State, ULM should be a walk through and I'll take us against LSU thanks.

Alabama destroyed Georgia and Arkansas. We went to their house and put ourselves in a position to win the game. With three and half minutes to go we we're rollin with a brand new QB, a brand new head coach, and brand new offensive scheme. That's saying a lot.
"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."
-Wayne Dyer
MikeStone
Water Boy
Water Boy

I'm mad we lost, I want no more moral victories, I wanna win the close ones.

However, I am of the opinion that this Bama team is very good and for us to lose, on the road, in the SEC to the number 2 team in the country by only 4 points is pretty d*** impressive. This means we can play with any of the 119 FBS/Division I football teams. I used to look at the teams in the top 5 and think "God, that team would beat us 63-0" ---I don't look at it that way any more. We have some young guys playing significant minutes. We aren't really losing a whole lot next year. We have guys coming off the bench on defense that can play. All in all, we actually have a pretty bright future.

Just my two cents again.
done

A10Rebel wrote: So he's thrown some picks, Eli was good at that too.
1)10 Picks / 10 TD's, that ratio must improve, but he is obviously a more gifted QB than the ones you mentioned. But we are 7 games in and he is not some 18 year old freshman, his games should be more complete and consistent by now. I too think he will get there

2) I agree that we are obviously a much better team than any of the past 3 years, but we need to finish to validate that premise.

3) we SHOULD be at least 4 and 3.

We blew the Vandy and SC games. Those should be in the win column.

But it took some Karma to win the FL game so that could have easily gone the other way.

Wake Forest just bowed up and rammed it down our throat in that last minute. Hats off to them.

So IMO we SHOULD be 4-3. We are 3-4. We should beat Arky, LAMonroe, and MSU and we COULD beat Auburn. So I think we still should be a 6 or 7 win team when it is all said and done, so I am not close to being negative or giving up. We are just about where I hoped we would at least be and a little more competitive than I thought we would be.
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Snead is going to be fine. He's still learning, he still telegraphs many of his passes and I'd like to see us throw it underneath or int the flat to the RB's every now and then. The speed of the game takes a little time to get used to. It's difficult to replicate the speed of an SEC game unless ones go against ones, which doesn't happen often. Ro Miller's 1st year he had 11 TD's and 11 Ints. Eli's Jr. year he had 21 TD's and 15 Ints. not a great ratio. Both of them improved their ratios the following year. Ro, 14 TD's to 7 Ints. and Eli, 29 TD's to 10 Ints.

I do think that Snead learned a little something in the 2nd half of the bama game. That he can and should run the ball when the defense gives it to him. That will help freeze those LB's if they know that he may tuck it and run.

EDIT: Just noticed that our RB's have only caught 13 passes all year and our FB has caught 7. Throwing to these guys would help put more pressure on the LB's. Right now, they barely have to worry about covering them, we hardly ever throw to them. I'd love to see Eason, Bolden or Davis 1 on 1 in space against a LB.
Nutt calls the formation the Wild Rebel. Which sure beats the heck out of Orgeron's Wild Boys.
----Calkins
A10Rebel
3rd String
3rd String

Rebchuck18 wrote:
1)10 Picks / 10 TD's, that ratio must improve, but he is obviously a more gifted QB than the ones you mentioned. But we are 7 games in and he is not some 18 year old freshman, his games should be more complete and consistent by now. I too think he will get there

2) I agree that we are obviously a much better team than any of the past 3 years, but we need to finish to validate that premise.

But it took some Karma to win the FL game so that could have easily gone the other way.
Wake Forest just bowed up and rammed it down our throat in that last minute. Hats off to them.

So IMO we SHOULD be 4-3. We are 3-4. We should beat Arky, LAMonroe, and MSU and we COULD beat Auburn. So I think we still should be a 6 or 7 win team when it is all said and done, so I am not close to being negative or giving up. We are just about where I hoped we would at least be and a little more competitive than I thought we would be.
I so disagree with these statements about the Florida game. What was karmatic about it? That Tebow overthrew a wide reciever in the fourth? Well I would argue we missed an easy walk-in pick in the first. Breaks go both ways we missed opportunities just as they did, we took advantage and they didn't...ball game.
"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."
-Wayne Dyer
done

A10Rebel wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:

I so disagree with these statements about the Florida game. What was karmatic about it? That Tebow overthrew a wide reciever in the fourth? Well I would argue we missed an easy walk-in pick in the first. Breaks go both ways we missed opportunities just as they did, we took advantage and they didn't...ball game.
How many blocked extra points do you see in college football? And Tebow missed some wide open receivers all day. We played well and beat a highly ranked team at home and deserved it. I am just saying that if we look at the games we could/should have won, we also have to account for the games that we could have easily lost....and wait until the season is over to truly judge how far we progressed in Coach nutt's first year.