My take on Nutts onesided coaching

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

JoeRebel
3rd String
3rd String

2008 Ole Miss Rebel Football
Ole Miss Overall Team Statistics (as of Jan 02, 2009)
Final

TEAM STATISTICS UM OPP
--------------------------------------------------------

SCORING....................... 417 247
Points Per Game............. 32.1 19.0
FIRST DOWNS................... 256 222
Rushing..................... 122 86
Passing..................... 124 117
Penalty..................... 10 19
RUSHING YARDAGE............... 2424 1112
Yards gained rushing........ 2668 1593
Yards lost rushing.......... 244 481
Rushing Attempts............ 520 411
Average Per Rush............ 4.7 2.7
Average Per Game............ 186.5 85.5
TDs Rushing................. 21 9
PASSING YARDAGE............... 2875 2882
Att-Comp-Int................ 340-190-15 437-257-16
Average Per Pass............ 8.5 6.6
Average Per Catch........... 15.1 11.2
Average Per Game............ 221.2 221.7
TDs Passing................. 27 18
TOTAL OFFENSE................. 5299 3994
Total Plays................. 860 848
Average Per Play............ 6.2 4.7
Average Per Game............ 407.6 307.2

Pretty balanced to me.. had more passing yards than rushing by a few. As the man said, when you have the best running back in college football, you don't throw the ball every down. It is my opinoin that had a few freshman shut their mouth and bided their time, Arkansas would have ran a wide open offense this year. Oh wait a minute, they did.... NM
"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."
Ronald Reagan
rockerfan
Water Boy
Water Boy

He was pretty balanced at Ark when he had a good qb. Every hog fan seems to forget that. When he had Dmac, Felix and Peyton Hillis we didn't have a good qb or rec corp, so he ran the heck out of the ball. We avg 39 pts a game but that wasn't good enough for the hog fans, we need to be running the spread. Oh yeah and our defense was the weakness that last year. The year we won 10 games we had an awesome defense.
I_come_in_peace_from_AR
Water Boy
Water Boy

I believe we ran him out for a lump sum of dumb mistakes. Hiring a D-Coordinator who doesn't recruit, the lack of development of QB talent or the signing and keeping a high profile QB. Not saying the Mustain drama was caused by Nutt, but d*** that kid could have run the show if he was able to develop. The past is the past, better hope Nutt recruits another hella-QB otherwise you will know our pain.

I was fine with scoring 39 points a game btw, but giving up 40 to the other team the same day was getting old.

Hope Nutt gets his game on straight I'd like to make the West a battle between AR and OM.

Anyone actually met Nutt by the way? when I met him in person he kinda reminded me of the guy sold me my car if you stuffed a rabid mongoose in his pants. Nice but crazy.

P.S. this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were missing.
colreb1974
Scout Team
Scout Team

I_come_in_peace_from_AR wrote:I believe we ran him out for a lump sum of dumb mistakes. Hiring a D-Coordinator who doesn't recruit, the lack of development of QB talent or the signing and keeping a high profile QB. Not saying the Mustain drama was caused by Nutt, but d*** that kid could have run the show if he was able to develop. The past is the past, better hope Nutt recruits another hella-QB otherwise you will know our pain.

I was fine with scoring 39 points a game btw, but giving up 40 to the other team the same day was getting old.

Hope Nutt gets his game on straight I'd like to make the West a battle between AR and OM.

Anyone actually met Nutt by the way? when I met him in person he kinda reminded me of the guy sold me my car if you stuffed a rabid mongoose in his pants. Nice but crazy.

P.S. this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were missing.

I think your pain has only just began because in 2 years you will be looking for another coach.
"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary." - Vince Lombardi
dgmcdowe
2nd String
2nd String

You may come in peace from Arky, but you still come with the same d*mn talking points.
I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance.

-William Faulkner
I_come_in_peace_from_AR
Water Boy
Water Boy

the same points yes, but did I call him names? did I call you names? I even went so far as to hope that you are one of the top teams in the West.

I hope you took no offense as we Hog fans deal with "shame" of having a vagabond coach.

Just calling as I saw, and I also said that the QB transfer might/probably not had anything to do with HDN. A frosh QB is never a world beater and the lack of airing it out *beep* of a frosh WR who transferred and the kid QB decided to follow his buddy. As for recruiting and development of players Nutt likes to find project players (he's a more hands on friendly coach who wants everyone to have a shot at the bigtime). He does this at many positions however so you need to land one hell of a QB because if the project fails you will have to become a run only team. Thats the kind of coach he, a players coach, he wants them to be friendly and have potential, even if it means it takes 2 years for that kid to become better than the kid ranked higher than him outta high school. Mind you some of his antics are NUTTZ if you pardon my pun.

You love this coach and at UM he's bound to get some better talent then he did at AR, and some better projects.

We as the AR fanbase like that he got us out of the darkages but we never progressed beyond what you might call the Renaissance. He was good for our development, as he will be for ya'll. But tell me, is averaging 7-8 wins a season is good enough for your fanbase? It was not for us. We feel like given a little time with this new coach we can become a 9-10-11 win team because of the coaching style of one BP.

As for Bp leaving, honestly if you were a program would you pay the man to come to their college? He basically has to finish a contract before anyone offers him a new one if he ever wants to coach a BCS team again.

2 year and the West will be a 3-way battle, providing the Hat stays at LSWho, between Bama, Ark, and OM and thats no lie just not sure who coming out on top

Name something thats not true I've said...
colreb1974
Scout Team
Scout Team

We feel like given a little time with this new coach we can become a 9-10-11 win team because of the coaching style of one BP.

This statement is true because a little time is all you have with Bobby P. The problem here is that Nutt got you out of the darkages and now Bobby P is going to put you guys right back where you were before HDN saved you. So who is the next savior for the Arky program after BP destroys what HDN started? If I were Arky fans I would start checking flight records just to make sure BP is not flying all over the country trying to find something better. I cant imagine that he would do something like that. He seems to be a settled man.
"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary." - Vince Lombardi
I_come_in_peace_from_AR
Water Boy
Water Boy

Okay... tell me where in my post insulted you colreb1974. I've complimented and given my two cents, but you insist on being an ass and insulting my coach.

I see coming with nothing bad to say isn't good enough so *beep* peace. Explanations and clarifacation seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

Dear colreb1974,

If you aren't capable of having a civil convo, I'll throw down with you. Your most recent post is probably the most conerning, as you have commited the straw-man fallacy, this of course meaning you distorted my argument and attacked it to discredit the remainder of my post as well as me. You should remove yourself from yourself/sister/insert family member here and accept the fact that you are happy with your coach, and we with ours. Coach Nutt is a GOOD COACH deal with what I've said, I only stated he has a different style (project recruits and relationship and hands on). BP is a GOOD COACH, he has a different style from Nutt (CEO style with fewer projects).

To the other guy who commented about me,

Read my second post as a clarifaction of what I meant in my first.
Last edited by I_come_in_peace_from_AR on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm on here to snoop and get a feel for the West in years to come
rrlynch
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I_come_in_peace_from_AR wrote:Okay... tell me where in my post insulted you colreb1974. I've complimented and given my two cents, but you insist on being an ass and insulting my coach.

If you aren't capable of having a civil convo, I'll throw down with you.
Y'all, this guy's been alright compared to those other tools. I hope we can cut him some slack.

I_come, we're just really burnt out by this stuff over here it seems.
I_come_in_peace_from_AR
Water Boy
Water Boy

rrlynch wrote:
I_come_in_peace_from_AR wrote:Okay... tell me where in my post insulted you colreb1974. I've complimented and given my two cents, but you insist on being an ass and insulting my coach.

If you aren't capable of having a civil convo, I'll throw down with you.
Y'all, this guy's been alright compared to those other tools. I hope we can cut him some slack.

I_come, we're just really burnt out by this stuff over here it seems.
Thanx but I think I just edited my post as an attack I believe I will soon be banned thanx for sticking up for me
Chucky_38
All American
All American

See the problem is that 7-8 wins per year is the best Ole Miss can expect. We are in too tough a conference. We don't recruit top 10 talent consistently. Neither does Arkansas. What Razorback fans have yet to realize is that they are in the same boat. 7-8 wins is the best you can be. We can have an occasional double digit win season but we aren't going to really contend for the West most years. That will be the big boys. Arkanas is about to learn the same lesson we learned when we fired Cutcliffe.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I have high expectations for our FB program. High expectations = competing for the SECW on a routine basis, with an occasional off/rebuilding year.

I have no expectations, nor do I care 1/2 a fig about Arky, or their coach.

8)
colreb1974
Scout Team
Scout Team

I see coming with nothing bad to say isn't good enough so *beep* peace. Explanations and clarifacation seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

Dear colreb1974,

If you aren't capable of having a civil convo, I'll throw down with you. Your most recent post is probably the most conerning, as you have commited the straw-man fallacy, this of course meaning you distorted my argument and attacked it to discredit the remainder of my post as well as me. You should remove yourself from yourself/sister/insert family member here and accept the fact that you are happy with your coach, and we with ours. Coach Nutt is a GOOD COACH deal with what I've said, I only stated he has a different style (project recruits and relationship and hands on). BP is a GOOD COACH, he has a different style from Nutt (CEO style with fewer projects).

To the other guy who commented about me,

Read my second post as a clarifaction of what I meant in my first.
You did not offend me at all. I just think that you Arky fans are comical. As far as HDN's style I believe that is why we will contend and Arky will not. Florida does a great job running the spread but they have a great QB that can manhandle alot of defensive lines(except for the rebels I might add) but when Tebow is gone I do not know that the spread will be that effective for the Gators. Being said that I do not think the spread will work at Arky just because BP will not recruit a QB like Tebow and without a Tebow at Arky the spread will be useless. Just ask Tubby how well the spread works with a mediocre QB in the SEC. The answer is it does not. I do like to see the ball thrown down the field but I really like to see a dominant running back take control and beat up a defensive line. Without a firm running game in this conference you will not win many games. If you can run the ball you can pass the ball but if you rely on passing the majority of the time you are soon to be doomed. So back to you statement I am not offended by any means and I accept HDN and his philosphy and in my own opinion I feel like he was and is the right man to turn our program around.
I_come_in_peace_from_AR
Water Boy
Water Boy

we dont run a spread offense, Good try though. We were a bit more wide open because we were playing from behind most games. That and we lacked the push we needed for a true power running game.

I'm curious as to why you think Ole Miss is the only program on the rise however. Auburn and LSU appear to be on the way out so the power vacum requires that another couple programs fill the space. So who better than UM and UA? surely you don't think MSU is going to be your biggest competition outside of Alabama.
colreb1974
Scout Team
Scout Team

I_come_in_peace_from_AR wrote:we dont run a spread offense, Good try though. We were a bit more wide open because we were playing from behind most games. That and we lacked the push we needed for a true power running game.

I'm curious as to why you think Ole Miss is the only program on the rise however. Auburn and LSU appear to be on the way out so the power vacum requires that another couple programs fill the space. So who better than UM and UA? surely you don't think MSU is going to be your biggest competition outside of Alabama.
I am not a LSU or MSU fan but as far as LSU is concerned they will be right back contending and MSU may take a few years but I think Dan will be OK. And I never said that we were the only one on the rise but I am not convinced that Arky is.