09 will be for Chucky

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

tanichols
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

correct me if i am wrong but 09 season will be 20 years since chucky gave all he had on the football field. Let's dedicate 09 to Chucky and go win the west!
Jimbo
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

Chucky Mullins tragic injury and the response Ole Miss gave should always be remembered. Dedicating a season to his memory is nice, but I always remember the movie "Brian's Song" where the team dedicated a game to Brian Picolo (sp) and then went out and lost big time. I am a little shy about anything that could tarnish what is already a wonderfully executed tribute to Chuckie. I am for anything that brings honor to Ole Miss and its great people, former and present.
RUE
tanichols
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

Yeah, it was just kind of a thought. I just watched the DVD again. It always touches me every time. He was such a special person.
RebinGA
Water Boy
Water Boy

Someone on this board once mentioned highlighting the 38 yard line.
That's very orginal idea that I'd be in favor of.
BART: I'll tell you a story so scary, you will wet your pants.
Grandpa: Too Late.
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter
Location: Got a Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart.

We honor Chucky and all other great Rebels every time we take the field.

I know its not a popular thought on this board but, in my eyes, the jersey had run its course. Over time, anything like that loses effectiveness in maintaining the memory it was designed to memorialize.
You've just got to learn from the wrong things you've done. I came off the rebound, started looking around, figured out it's time to have a little fun.
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

RebinGA wrote:Someone on this board once mentioned highlighting the 38 yard line.
I believe that was Convert. She was right on. And I agree that highlighting the 38yd line would be a great way to bring national attention to an inspiring young mans story. I'm not sure about dedicating a season or game, but this yd line idea is very, very good.
L. S. WHO?
Justin_P34
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

The yard like is also my favorite idea that I heard! I would love to see this done. I remember when this was brought up before and still believe this would be the best possible way to honor Chucky.
HottyToddy'06
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter
Location: Got a Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart.

oxpatchreb wrote:
RebinGA wrote:Someone on this board once mentioned highlighting the 38 yard line.
I believe that was Convert. She was right on. And I agree that highlighting the 38yd line would be a great way to bring national attention to an inspiring young mans story. I'm not sure about dedicating a season or game, but this yd line idea is very, very good.
I think it was Rickochet2. http://www.rebelfaithful.com/forum/view ... ky&start=0
You've just got to learn from the wrong things you've done. I came off the rebound, started looking around, figured out it's time to have a little fun.
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

parrotreb wrote:
oxpatchreb wrote:
I think it was Rickochet2. http://www.rebelfaithful.com/forum/view ... ky&start=0
Well, she mentions it in that thread about 2/3's of the way down the second page. She says that she thought she read another person suggest it, but I didn't see it in that thread before her post, so who knows. All I'm sure of is that it's a fantastic idea.
L. S. WHO?
RebinGA
Water Boy
Water Boy

The 38 patch is nice, but every team has a patch.

Highlighting the 38 yard line is original and innovative. Chucky was special, and in my opinion, a cut above the numbers and letters on other patches.

We are Ole Miss, a school of deep traditionalists, and originalists. Let us set a new standard. We are the innovators, not imitators.

I could be wrong here, but I don't recall any team having a "Walk" before home games until Bill Brewer introduced it at OLE MISS. Now everyone has a "walk" (but they don't have a grove to walk through!).
BART: I'll tell you a story so scary, you will wet your pants.
Grandpa: Too Late.
done

Still think the jersey on the field with a different player each year was the greatest and most appropriate tribute, because then Chucky's spirit was alive, playing, and on the field.....but I lost that one.
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebchuck18 wrote:Still think the jersey on the field with a different player each year was the greatest and most appropriate tribute, because then Chucky's spirit was alive, playing, and on the field.....but I lost that one.
My thoughts, too. :(
OMNOB
2nd String
2nd String

Rebchuck18 wrote:Still think the jersey on the field with a different player each year was the greatest and most appropriate tribute, because then Chucky's spirit was alive, playing, and on the field.....but I lost that one.
It would be tough for me to agree more.
"America is the New York Yankees of countries,powerful and respected until the year 2000"-Homer Simpson
Deltaboy
Water Boy
Water Boy

It was sad to see what happened that day and even sadder when he died. He was an inspiration to all who read his story or saw him play.
USCrebel
2nd String
2nd String

I agree with Parrot and actually go a step farther. I think that the bust is enough. I don't think that the jersey thing served a useful purpose. He was a good young man who faced his disability bravely.
It's not insane to suggest that the Rebels have the best defensive line in college football.
----- Foxsports power ranking OM at #14