Dan Mullen

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

tanichols
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

A MS recruit talking about visit with Dan Mullen.

To me, he's a very good coach," Thompson said of the former Florida assistant. "He's energetic. I like that about him. He told me he's not a very strict coach but he wants you to get the job done and he'll be strict on you from time to time when you know you're doing wrong. He said he's a player's coach. I kind of liked him. He's a very good coach to me, also."

Is it just me or does this sound like someone who used to coach the rebels. Ok, first of all he shouldn't have to tell what kind of coach he is to a recruit. Secondly, you can't just be strict from time to time. You have to be consistent one way all the time.Lastly, you don't self proclaim yourself a player's coach. That is label that somebody else gives you.
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

tanichols wrote:A MS recruit talking about visit with Dan Mullen.

To me, he's a very good coach," Thompson said of the former Florida assistant. "He's energetic. I like that about him. He told me he's not a very strict coach but he wants you to get the job done and he'll be strict on you from time to time when you know you're doing wrong. He said he's a player's coach. I kind of liked him. He's a very good coach to me, also."

Is it just me or does this sound like someone who used to coach the rebels. Ok, first of all he shouldn't have to tell what kind of coach he is to a recruit. Secondly, you can't just be strict from time to time. You have to be consistent one way all the time.Lastly, you don't self proclaim yourself a player's coach. That is label that somebody else gives you.
This whole hire reeks of the Ed Orgeron fiasco.......and man, you should hear the call-in sports talk shows here in Jax.....after a pitiful season and a 45-0 drubbing at the hands of their rivals, some of these bullpup fans actually think they can compete for the West just with a new coach and a new group of freshmen.......jeez....i thought the Thuthern Myth dudes were nuts.
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter
Location: Got a Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart.

tanichols wrote:A MS recruit talking about visit with Dan Mullen.

When this guy has coached his first season, I'll worry about him then, if he has shown he is worthy of worry.
You've just got to learn from the wrong things you've done. I came off the rebound, started looking around, figured out it's time to have a little fun.
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

MSU has is a culture of losing. And I'm not just saying that as trash talk. You think about it. What has State ever accomplished in football? Their only claim to fame is that they went to the SECCG in what, '98? They like to bring that up from time to time and mention that Ole Miss is the only Western Division team not to go to Atlanta. What they fail to mention is that we have as many Western Division titles as they do...we just didn't get to make the trip to Atlanta because LSU won the tiebreaker.

Other than that, name ONE major bowl MSU has won. There's been none in my lifetime. They went to the Cotton Bowl and got hammered by Ricky Williams and UT. And outside of the occasional Indy or Liberty Bowl, what else has there been?

Mullen has his hands full if he wants to turn that around.
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebelbear wrote:MSU has is a culture of losing. And I'm not just saying that as trash talk. You think about it. What has State ever accomplished in football? Their only claim to fame is that they went to the SECCG in what, '98? They like to bring that up from time to time and mention that Ole Miss is the only Western Division team not to go to Atlanta. What they fail to mention is that we have as many Western Division titles as they do...we just didn't get to make the trip to Atlanta because LSU won the tiebreaker.

Other than that, name ONE major bowl MSU has won. There's been none in my lifetime. They went to the Cotton Bowl and got hammered by Ricky Williams and UT. And outside of the occasional Indy or Liberty Bowl, what else has there been?

The Snow Bowl? j/k
USCrebel
2nd String
2nd String

rebelbear wrote:MSU has is a culture of losing. And I'm not just saying that as trash talk. You think about it. What has State ever accomplished in football? Their only claim to fame is that they went to the SECCG in what, '98? They like to bring that up from time to time and mention that Ole Miss is the only Western Division team not to go to Atlanta. What they fail to mention is that we have as many Western Division titles as they do...we just didn't get to make the trip to Atlanta because LSU won the tiebreaker.

A couple of us were talking about this the other day. What makes some programs perennial winners, others perennial losers, and the rest up-and-downers. When Spurs arrived at USCar, there were only two programs with all-time losing records in the SEC... USCar and MSU. Now there is only one, MSU. The thing is, however, Spurs has not exactly been spectacular at USCar. He's recruited fairly well, but it simply has not paid off the way it did at UFL.

There is simply something about places like this that make it hard to win. I will readily admit that I do not believe that Ole Miss will ever have a run again like we had under Vaught, but I do believe that it is possible to win a majority of the time. Since 1971, we are .515, 222-209-4. This includes a couple of forfeits and four ties. During the same period, MSU is .42032, 180-249-4 with forfeits and ties.

In the long run, I am unsure if MSU can win year in and year out, just like I am unsure if we can win 10+ games year in and year out.
It's not insane to suggest that the Rebels have the best defensive line in college football.
----- Foxsports power ranking OM at #14
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

I will readily admit that I do not believe that Ole Miss will ever have a run again like we had under Vaught

But we have our best shot with this coach than we have had since then. If anyone can do it, this coach can drive the SEC Nutts!
I love being (possibly) in the thick of things for a change. Holding my breathe more than ever before for September to (HURRY AND) get here.