Central Arkansas

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

OMNOB
2nd String
2nd String

At this point, going forward, it is just CAU, but the Rebs took care of business today.

Folks do not sleep on this team yet.

I am as perplexed as anyone concerning the Coke Classic, but the team has bounced back well amid the pressure.

10 runs on 8 hits is the epitome of playing good, solid, baseball.
"America is the New York Yankees of countries,powerful and respected until the year 2000"-Homer Simpson
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

It was a bizarre game today. The Rebels looked as lost as they were in Mobile until the 5th inning. They absolutely could NOT even buy a hit off of the UCA starter. He had a 1 hit shutout going against the Rebels until the 5th. Then all of a sudden the bats lit up. String a few together and the Rebs were in business. When they got to the UCA bullpen they really started doing some damage. 7 hits and 10 runs later and...well, there ya go. 10-2 win and a good way to bounce back from this past weekend.

This team still has a ways to go, but today was a step in the right direction. One game at a time. Got to beat UCA tomorrow and string together two wins in a row. If they can win tomorrow it will be the longest win streak this season! :P
GO REBELS!!!
done

I am certainly not a disciple of college baseball or an expert like some of you on the board, but I do know this...baseball is a game of momentum as much as it is a game of talent and coaching...if it were just talent an coaching the Murderer's row Yankees would have never lost a game.

Baseball is a game of inches...in the strike zone...between a run scoring hit and a inning ending double play...

My point is that over analyzing games against non SEC opponents this early in the season to the point of worry is fruitless. These are in effect our spring training games.

Yes we can fret about not getting clutch hits, or not laying down bunts, or missing the strike zone....but we must realize that this can all flip in a day.

I think that Bianco has earned our trust and we should should support his efforts and have faith that it will be a successful season.
Chucky_38
All American
All American

Rebchuck18 wrote:I am certainly not a disciple of college baseball or an expert like some of you on the board, but I do know this...baseball is a game of momentum as much as it is a game of talent and coaching...if it were just talent an coaching the Murderer's row Yankees would have never lost a game.

Baseball is a game of inches...in the strike zone...between a run scoring hit and a inning ending double play...

My point is that over analyzing games against non SEC opponents this early in the season to the point of worry is fruitless. These are in effect our spring training games.

Yes we can fret about not getting clutch hits, or not laying down bunts, or missing the strike zone....but we must realize that this can all flip in a day.

I think that Bianco has earned our trust and we should should support his efforts and have faith that it will be a successful season.
Very well said. I agree. Bianco built Ole Miss baseball. Lets not Razorback or Volunteer or Auburn Tiger him off.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

I listened to some of the game yesterday and some of the same stuff that we do at the plate all the time is very frustrating.

Around the 4th inning, we had the bases loaded with NO outs. I believe the no. 2 hitter was up. He TAKES the first pitch, a fastball strike down the middle. He should have been all over this pitch. Bases loaded, NO outs, the pitcher is going to try his hardest to get ahead in the count. More than likely, he's going to groove one down the middle, look for it! The next pitch, he swings and misses a breaking ball. He then pops out. 1 out.

The #3 batter steps in, and TAKES the first pitch fastball for a STRIKE. WHY WHY WHY???? Again, he's going to try to get ahead in the count, he's going to try to throw a fastball for a strike, be aggressive!!! He ends up striking out. Now it's 2 outs and the bases are still loaded.

Power comes up and gets hit but on the hand and the ump call it a foul ball and Power does not get the walk. He does end up getting a single and a RBI which was nice. But the taking of the first pitch by the 2 previous batters was very frustrating to hear.

Be aggressive at the plate, especially when the odds are in our favor!!!
Nutt calls the formation the Wild Rebel. Which sure beats the heck out of Orgeron's Wild Boys.
----Calkins
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Redbluedude wrote:I listened to some of the game yesterday and some of the same stuff that we do at the plate all the time is very frustrating.

Around the 4th inning, we had the bases loaded with NO outs. I believe the no. 2 hitter was up. He TAKES the first pitch, a fastball strike down the middle. He should have been all over this pitch. Bases loaded, NO outs, the pitcher is going to try his hardest to get ahead in the count. More than likely, he's going to groove one down the middle, look for it! The next pitch, he swings and misses a breaking ball. He then pops out. 1 out.

The #3 batter steps in, and TAKES the first pitch fastball for a STRIKE. WHY WHY WHY???? Again, he's going to try to get ahead in the count, he's going to try to throw a fastball for a strike, be aggressive!!! He ends up striking out. Now it's 2 outs and the bases are still loaded.

Power comes up and gets hit but on the hand and the ump call it a foul ball and Power does not get the walk. He does end up getting a single and a RBI which was nice. But the taking of the first pitch by the 2 previous batters was very frustrating to hear.

so, is it a rule for the players to take the first strike or is it up to the players? When I was in high school, everyone was supposed to take the first strike. Sometimes I was given the green light, but rarely. It's just the philosophy of the coach. I've got no problem with it either way as long as it's stuck to.
Some Random Dude
dgmcdowe
2nd String
2nd String

When I was at the game yesterday,it really did seem like the rebels were back on track...I know I was the one who claimed i wouldn't go to another on if they lost, but maybe they heard this rebel yell.

Best part? They seemed to be winning based on their skill, not the lack of skill on the other side of the plate.

Obviously, CA is an inferior team...but it still looks like there IS talent on this team. And who knows? Maybe USA ends up being THE small conference team?
I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance.

-William Faulkner
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

dgmcdowe wrote:When I was at the game yesterday,it really did seem like the rebels were back on track...I know I was the one who claimed i wouldn't go to another on if they lost, but maybe they heard this rebel yell.

Best part? They seemed to be winning based on their skill, not the lack of skill on the other side of the plate.

Obviously, CA is an inferior team...but it still looks like there IS talent on this team. And who knows? Maybe USA ends up being THE small conference team?
USA is a consistent Regional team. Not the past year or two but before that they had a good Regional streak going. They are a nationally respected baseball team. There is no shame in taking a loss to them. How we lost that game is disappointing and can be contributed, not to USA's level of play, but to Ole Miss and lack of stringing hits together. But there's no shame in a loss to USA when you look back at the end of the year from an outsider's POV, especially when the game is at USA's home field.
GO REBELS!!!
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

lewindha wrote:
Redbluedude wrote:I listened to some of the game yesterday and some of the same stuff that we do at the plate all the time is very frustrating.

so, is it a rule for the players to take the first strike or is it up to the players? When I was in high school, everyone was supposed to take the first strike. Sometimes I was given the green light, but rarely. It's just the philosophy of the coach. I've got no problem with it either way as long as it's stuck to.
I guess it depends on the coaching philosophy. I just don't understand 'taking the first strike' approach. You only have 3 strikes to work with, if you give the pitcher the first one, now you only have 2 to work with. As a pitcher and I knew that you were taking the first strike, I'd groove a fastball down the middle and then you'd see nothing but breaking balls and change ups. You may see a fastball here and there but they would be off the plate.

Pitchers love to get ahead in the count. If they have a good breaking ball and some good off speed pitches that they can throw for strikes, they can keep batters off balance all day long.
Nutt calls the formation the Wild Rebel. Which sure beats the heck out of Orgeron's Wild Boys.
----Calkins
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Redbluedude wrote:
lewindha wrote:

I guess it depends on the coaching philosophy. I just don't understand 'taking the first strike' approach. You only have 3 strikes to work with, if you give the pitcher the first one, now you only have 2 to work with. As a pitcher and I knew that you were taking the first strike, I'd groove a fastball down the middle and then you'd see nothing but breaking balls and change ups. You may see a fastball here and there but they would be off the plate.

Pitchers love to get ahead in the count. If they have a good breaking ball and some good off speed pitches that they can throw for strikes, they can keep batters off balance all day long.
I think it's a better philosophy in HS. You have less pitchers who can consistently hit the strike zone. In college and definitely the pros, I would only adopt it if it looked like the opposing pitcher is struggling.

I guess I'm saying I agree with you. Taking that first strike doesn't make sense in college.
Some Random Dude
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

oxfordrebel wrote:
dgmcdowe wrote:When I was at the game yesterday,it really did seem like the rebels were back on track...I know I was the one who claimed i wouldn't go to another on if they lost, but maybe they heard this rebel yell.

USA is a consistent Regional team. Not the past year or two but before that they had a good Regional streak going. They are a nationally respected baseball team. There is no shame in taking a loss to them. How we lost that game is disappointing and can be contributed, not to USA's level of play, but to Ole Miss and lack of stringing hits together. But there's no shame in a loss to USA when you look back at the end of the year from an outsider's POV, especially when the game is at USA's home field.
I agree with you on USA. But the escape from Liberty and loss to Mercer are almost inexcusable. At least, those are the games that had me worried. Now USA is respectable, no doubt. But after their play the previous two days, they really needed to beat down USA and didn't. It's early yes, but that was a horrible start to the season for a 6th ranked team. Or any team in the top 25.
Some Random Dude
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Looks like getting Fergie back was big. He tore it up at the plate yesterday. 4 for 5 and Logan 3 for 5, not too shabby.
----Calkins
GtownRebel
All American
All American

If we take 2 out of 3 this weekend against TCU, then I will be fine. The CAU games were not a good test for us to determine if we are finally sailing straight or not. The Coke Classic had some good teams and we didn't play well. Now is the time to start playing well.
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

For my $0.02 worth on the first-pitch thing, it depends on the situation. And if you're ever going to tell your batters to watch the first pitch, the situation Tuesday was the perfect situation to do that. If I'm not mistaken we loaded the bases due to either one or two walks. I do remember that the pitcher had lost some control and was not hitting the zone too well at that point. I think it was a smart move to watch the first pitch because at that particular time the pitcher wanted to get ahead in the count due to loaded bases, but he also didn't want to send a potential grand slam to the plate. So while he did end up throwing two down the middle on first pitch (gutsy call by the pitcher, IMO), if you're the batter you could very well anticipate him either throwing a ball to prevent a big hit, or just plain losing control and throwing a ball that was intended to be a strike on the edge. The hitters had the advantage and to watch that first pitch was a good thought when the pitcher was throwing balls almost 70% of his pitches at that particular point. Their pitcher just got lucky and won the battle with two of our guys.

But that's just my opinion. As a general rule I would NEVER tell my hitters to ALWAYS watch the first one. But in certain circumstances, maybe.
GO REBELS!!!
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

oxfordrebel wrote:For my $0.02 worth on the first-pitch thing, it depends on the situation. And if you're ever going to tell your batters to watch the first pitch, the situation Tuesday was the perfect situation to do that. If I'm not mistaken we loaded the bases due to either one or two walks. I do remember that the pitcher had lost some control and was not hitting the zone too well at that point. I think it was a smart move to watch the first pitch because at that particular time the pitcher wanted to get ahead in the count due to loaded bases, but he also didn't want to send a potential grand slam to the plate. So while he did end up throwing two down the middle on first pitch (gutsy call by the pitcher, IMO), if you're the batter you could very well anticipate him either throwing a ball to prevent a big hit, or just plain losing control and throwing a ball that was intended to be a strike on the edge. The hitters had the advantage and to watch that first pitch was a good thought when the pitcher was throwing balls almost 70% of his pitches at that particular point. Their pitcher just got lucky and won the battle with two of our guys.

But that's just my opinion. As a general rule I would NEVER tell my hitters to ALWAYS watch the first one. But in certain circumstances, maybe.
I agree, the situation dictates the strategy. If these were the 7,8 and 9 batters, then maybe have them take the first pitch or first strike. But these were our #2 and #3 hitters, guys who put the bat on the ball and put the ball in play. I'd have given them the green light. Maybe they had it and just didn't swing, but it would be difficult to lay off a grooved fastball if they were swinging away.

It just reminded me of last year when we had guys at 2nd or 3rd with 1 out or less and we were not aggressive at the plate, got behind in counts and ended up squandering scoring opportunities.
----Calkins