Moving up.

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

Heath
All American
All American

Up to #11 in a couple of polls. Up to 15 and 16 in the other polls (or I think that is right anyway.). So, we are moving up. I know it doesn't mean much in the big scheme of things, but I would like to see us make it to a top 8 seed nationally to have home field in the Supers. But, I know, we need to make it to Hoover first.
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Heath wrote:Up to #11 in a couple of polls. Up to 15 and 16 in the other polls (or I think that is right anyway.). So, we are moving up. I know it doesn't mean much in the big scheme of things, but I would like to see us make it to a top 8 seed nationally to have home field in the Supers. But, I know, we need to make it to Hoover first.
It's wonderful, but like you said, got to make it to Hoover first and, realistically, if this coming weekend doesn't play out well, we could very well land on the bubble for Hoover which is bizarre considering that 8 out of 12 teams make it, but still.

You have 2 teams (TENN and UK) who are pretty much out of the running for Hoover unless there are a LOT of upsets and they get some help. Then you have MSU and Vandy who are still solidly in the mix, but also need some help. Vandy's coming on strong here lately and, if they hadn't gotten swept by Bama this past weekend, would be a solid Hoover team. They get State at home this weekend.

Speaking of Bama, they're only 1 game behind us and they have UK at home this weekend. Auburn at LSU could prove to be an incredible series, and Arkansas at TENN might be better than expected with the Vols coming off the series win at LSU last weekend.

Still, as a player (and a fan) you have to go into the weekend expecting Arky to sweep. Course as a player you have to play like you're expecting the worst case scenario (Arky, LSU, and Bama sweeps). But realistically you expect Arky to sweep then LSU and Bama to win their series. That means we badly need a series win over UGA to hold our spot. A sweep would put things in good shape for Hoover with only 3 more weekend series after this weekend left.

Now think about this: If the Rebel/Dawg series this weekend were played in a vacuum (by which I mean EVERYONE swept their opponents which, of course is impossible, but would keep the other standings the same, just 3 wins more), the outlook on the entire conference would change. If the Dawgs sweep they would remain 3 games ahead of 2nd in the East (UF) while the Rebels would be tied with Auburn for 4th in the West. That would naturally be the absolute worst case scenario for this weekend anyway.

Now, given the same circumstances, if the Rebels sweep, we would remain tied with LSU for 2nd in the West behind Arky by 1/2 a game, but UGA would then be tied with UF for #1 in the East. Suddenly that race gets as tight as the Western division has been.
GO REBELS!!!