I WAS THERE!!!

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

Heath
All American
All American

My friend and I were at a bar about 2 miles from the Univ. of Texas stadium. When we went into the bar, Texas and BC were in the 12th inning. When we left, the game was in the 19th. We both looked at each other and said, "Let's go." We arrived at the starting of the 20th inning. At this point, they were just letting people in without a ticket. It was awesome. There were still 6-7k people there. The crowd went NUTS when Texas scored the 3rd run in the top of the 25th inning. Then BC went 3 up, 3 down. They said the game went 7 hours and some minutes long. Austin Wood, IN RELIEF for the 'horns, threw 13 innings, 170 pitches, and gave up ONLY 2 HITS. It reminded me of the Lance Lynn days! It is 1:35 AM and I am just getting home.

Now I can say I was a part of NCAA history.....I will finally be remembered for something!!! :lol:
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Heath wrote:My friend and I were at a bar about 2 miles from the Univ. of Texas stadium. When we went into the bar, Texas and BC were in the 12th inning. When we left, the game was in the 19th. We both looked at each other and said, "Let's go." We arrived at the starting of the 20th inning. At this point, they were just letting people in without a ticket. It was awesome. There were still 6-7k people there. The crowd went NUTS when Texas scored the 3rd run in the top of the 25th inning. Then BC went 3 up, 3 down. They said the game went 7 hours and some minutes long. Austin Wood, IN RELIEF for the 'horns, threw 13 innings, 170 pitches, and gave up ONLY 2 HITS. It reminded me of the Lance Lynn days! It is 1:35 AM and I am just getting home.

Now I can say I was a part of NCAA history.....I will finally be remembered for something!!! :lol:
Thats awesome.
rrlynch
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Heath wrote:My friend and I were at a bar about 2 miles from the Univ. of Texas stadium. When we went into the bar, Texas and BC were in the 12th inning. When we left, the game was in the 19th. We both looked at each other and said, "Let's go." We arrived at the starting of the 20th inning. At this point, they were just letting people in without a ticket. It was awesome. There were still 6-7k people there. The crowd went NUTS when Texas scored the 3rd run in the top of the 25th inning. Then BC went 3 up, 3 down. They said the game went 7 hours and some minutes long. Austin Wood, IN RELIEF for the 'horns, threw 13 innings, 170 pitches, and gave up ONLY 2 HITS. It reminded me of the Lance Lynn days! It is 1:35 AM and I am just getting home.

That really is incredible. Yes, I'm jealous.
Don't try to teach a pig to sing. They'll call you silly names and get all bitter about head coach.
tlsu
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

8O

FYIs stolen from the Rivals main board:
- Both teams received a standing ovation at the conclusion of the game
- Texas had to reset the scoreboard twice to post the score by inning
- It was 96 degrees at first pitch at 6:02 p.m. - The game finished at 78 degrees at 1:05 a.m.
- Texas introduced the 21st inning stretch
- Both teams used all of their position players
- There were 683 pitches thrown in the game
- Texas stranded 24 men on base
- Belfiore, Hamlet and Lawrence each played three positions
- Texas had three runs on 20 hits
- Junior Chris Kowalski recorded his first-career at-bat
- There were 11 walks in the game compared to 42 strikeouts
- The 10 p.m. ET game at UC Irvine game started and finished
- The 25-inning game was the longest game in NCAA baseball history. The previous longest game was a 23-inning game played between Louisiana-Lafayette and McNeese State on March 27, 1971. ULL won the game 6-5.
- The game also marked the longest NCAA postseason game in history. The previous longest game was a 19-inning contest between Clemson and Fordham at the NCAA Northeast Regional in New Britain, Conn. on May 26, 1988.
- Texas and Boston College combined to set NCAA records with 42 strikeouts, 222 total chances, 69 assists, 192 plate appearances and 171 at-bats.
- Texas' 91 at-bats, 103 plate appearances, 115 total chances and 75 putouts set new NCAA records
- Tucker and Torres set the NCAA single-game record for at-bats with 12 AB's against BC
- Preston Clark's 33 putouts against BC set a new NCAA record for most single-game putouts.
wpdrebel
Scout Team
Scout Team

holy crap!! what a game!!!!! 8O
For evil to succeed, let good men do nothing.
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

...and the maybe the most impressive stat of all,

Texas used only THREE, yes THREE pitchers the entire game.
Randy
wpdrebel
Scout Team
Scout Team

13 innings pitched and only 2 hits allowed. unbelieveable.
For evil to succeed, let good men do nothing.
tlsu
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

wpdrebel wrote:13 innings pitched and only 2 hits allowed. unbelieveable.
He pitched 2 innings the night before as well.

199 total pitches in 2 days.
Heath
All American
All American

I heard one Texas fan in the bathroom say, "The 22nd inning is OUR inning! Texas always does well in the 22nd." Everyone chuckled. Then another guy said, "Well, at least we can say we've never done badly in the 22nd!" :lol:

It was pretty amazing to get to a game in the 20th inning, and still get to watch over half of a game.

It was also comical to see stats for the game like 2 for 11, 1 for 10, etc. I think the best one I saw was 3 for 10. Not too many batters helped their average last night.

And through 25 innings of baseball, BC did not make an error.
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

I saw some stats last night on ESPNU after the game. The only one I can remember is that BC went 8 for 80 at the plate. That's unreal.

I really would have loved to have been at that game.
GO REBELS!!!