tlsu
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Pomeranz is dealing. 8)
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

tlsu wrote:Pomeranz is dealing. 8)
Through 8 innings, 14 strikeouts, 2 hits (both questionable), and only 1 run. WOW!
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebelbear wrote:
Through 8 innings, 14 strikeouts, 2 hits (both questionable), and only 1 run. WOW!
That was a no hitter pure and simple
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebelliousb wrote:
rebelbear wrote:
Ditto that.......
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

ThunderReb wrote:
rebelliousb wrote:
rebelbear wrote: Through 8 innings, 14 strikeouts, 2 hits (both questionable), and only 1 run. WOW!
Ditto that.......
Absolutely! He had a no-hitter. Hard to believe we were at home and the scorer scored them hits. I knew for SURE that first hit would be ruled an error on Smith, but no. The second one should have been an error on Button. But still, that will go down in my mind as a no-hitter.
GO REBELS!!!
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

rebelliousb wrote:
rebelbear wrote:
Agree. To me the first hit has to always be a 'clean' hit. Through the gap or deep in the hole. I did not see the first 'hit' but it seemed like there was a lot of questions about it. Hate it for Pomz but he pitched a gem, no less.
Nutt calls the formation the Wild Rebel. Which sure beats the heck out of Orgeron's Wild Boys.
----Calkins
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Redbluedude wrote:
rebelliousb wrote:
rebelbear wrote: Through 8 innings, 14 strikeouts, 2 hits (both questionable), and only 1 run. WOW!
Agree. To me the first hit has to always be a 'clean' hit. Through the gap or deep in the hole. I did not see the first 'hit' but it seemed like there was a lot of questions about it. Hate it for Pomz but he pitched a gem, no less.
My thing about errors, the only way you can record one is if it "obviously" should have been caught and a play made. In the first one Smith should have had it, and it would have been a foot race to the bag, but he should have made the play. Instead it took kind of a funny hop and went off his shoulder. Still should have made the play. The second hit was to Button, but he booted it and just kinda looked at it while slowly trying to get a handle on it, thinking there was no play. A big mental lapse which basically cased WKU's only run of the game, which you would expect from teams that are already so tired. They ruled the run on an error, but gave the batter an infield single. Should have been two errors, one on the runner reaching (which would have gotten the guy from 2nd to 3rd) and one on the runner getting from 3rd to home, both charged to Button. But that's why I'm not an official scorer.
GO REBELS!!!
GtownRebel
All American
All American

Actually, I was in perfect position to see both plays.

The first one to Matt Smith took a slight hop and Matt closed his glove as it came to him. It hit his glove on the end of it and bounced to the foul line. He should have had it and it would have been an easy run to first even for him. This was definitely an error, but the scorer was kind to Matt.

On the second hit the ball hit Pom in the leg and bounced to second at Button at a slow rate. It would have been a great play if Evan could have fielded it and thrown to first in time to nail the runner, who was flying down the line. That one could have been an infield hit from where I sat, but I think if Button had not lost it by looking at the runner before he had the ball, he might have had a chance to throw him out. JMO.

This should have been no worse than a one hitter and could have been a no-hitter with a little luck.
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

GtownRebel wrote:Actually, I was in perfect position to see both plays.

The first one to Matt Smith took a slight hop and Matt closed his glove as it came to him. It hit his glove on the end of it and bounced to the foul line. He should have had it and it would have been an easy run to first even for him. This was definitely an error, but the scorer was kind to Matt.

On the second hit the ball hit Pom in the leg and bounced to second at Button at a slow rate. It would have been a great play if Evan could have fielded it and thrown to first in time to nail the runner, who was flying down the line. That one could have been an infield hit from where I sat, but I think if Button had not lost it by looking at the runner before he had the ball, he might have had a chance to throw him out. JMO.

This should have been no worse than a one hitter and could have been a no-hitter with a little luck.
I forgot that the second one hit Pom in the leg. Button could have made the play at 1st as he was at the ball in plenty of time, but he still booted it from what I remember. But once the guy at 1st reached, that's a base hit. Getting hit in the leg doesn't count as an error, of course.
GO REBELS!!!
Heath
All American
All American

oxfordrebel wrote:
Redbluedude wrote:
rebelliousb wrote: That was a no hitter pure and simple
My thing about errors, the only way you can record one is if it "obviously" should have been caught and a play made. In the first one Smith should have had it, and it would have been a foot race to the bag, but he should have made the play. Instead it took kind of a funny hop and went off his shoulder. Still should have made the play. The second hit was to Button, but he booted it and just kinda looked at it while slowly trying to get a handle on it, thinking there was no play. A big mental lapse which basically cased WKU's only run of the game, which you would expect from teams that are already so tired. They ruled the run on an error, but gave the batter an infield single. Should have been two errors, one on the runner reaching (which would have gotten the guy from 2nd to 3rd) and one on the runner getting from 3rd to home, both charged to Button. But that's why I'm not an official scorer.
Yeah, Button's arrogance/cockiness got the best of him. That's why Bianco should get on his butt about that because that could have led to a momentum swing in their direction. I think Button, although a tough gritty player, needs to be put in his place at times. He was the one that was ejected from the TCU game last year because he wouldn't stop talking crap to the 3rd baseman after an altercation.