Is anyone with me on this? Let's axe Bianco.

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

Axe Bianco?

Yes
16%
No
84%

Total votes: 45
mpzreb17
All SEC
All SEC

And Boone, too.

In the case of Bianco, it's not about Arky and Nutt, i'm not saying lets file FOIA and start a f*mikebianco.com website. We all appreciate him for bringing our team to notoriety, but unfortunately he just can't git-r-done. Thank you for your time coach, but it's time we part ways.
We Are Ole Miss
mpzreb17
All SEC
All SEC

Whoever just voted no, in pre-emption of whatever you're about to write:

As a senior, it gets kind of old watching another team celebrate advancing to Omaha on OUR turf. I'm sure the team feels the same, and i'm sure you alumni feel the same.
We Are Ole Miss
StrongRebel
2nd String
2nd String

You must be Kidding! Face it! We lost! We didn't make plays and they did! Yes I am upset with Bianco, but I think losing a Super Regional is not motive or wise to fire a coach for!

If this is the 2nd sub post season play or 1 losing season then I say YES, but to be calling for his head for losing a super regional is like you must be drunk or just plain stupid!

Wake Up and remember when very few students went to baseball games, and our stadium was half full and we couldn't even break 5th or 6th in the West and when you thought college baseball in MS you thought either Miss St. or LSU. Well that has all changed and just because you are too stupid to acknowledge that then you are either immature or just a negative nancy!

Bianco should be looking for a new hitting coach and pitching coach plus he needs to look into recruiting some meat for the batting line-up! 5'9 170lbs doesn't cut it! I want 6'2 or taller 210lbs or heavier batting in the middle of the line up! So yes I don't agree with Bianco, but I cannot say fire him for losing another super regional that is ridiculous!
Chucky_38
All American
All American

It all comes down to whether or not we want to be a real national player in baseball. If we do...fire Bianco and go steal a coach who is currently coaching a GREAT baseball program with multiple CWS appearances like LSU did. If not...keep Bianco and be satisfied with being consistently good, not great.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
------------------

I was a student in the 90's during the Kessinger years...I remember those years when mediocrity was all we could hope for.

Fire Bianco? Absolutely not. Firing him for not being as successful as we think he should be would make us not too much better than the insane Arky fans who wanted Nutt fired. But does he need to seriously re-think his coaching philosophy and recruiting, and re-evaluate his assistant coaches? HECK YES.
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Brothers! Remember...Nutt couldn't win enough games for Arkansas. I wish some of them would tell the truth about their thoughts on this football season.

Also...there are only 8 fan bases get to gripe about losing a Super Regional...hell 32 can ( and will) complain about losing a bowl game...and AR wasn't even one of them last year.
StrongRebel
2nd String
2nd String

Lets just put it this way! You can complain about Bianco not making it to the CWS the last few chances we have had, but their is very few Ole Miss higher ups that are going to go along with forcing Bianco out for giving us the opportunity to play for a chance to go to the CWS! We had 30-40k folks this weekend that paid an average of $20 a ticket =($800,000 in ticket sales) puls an average of two concession stand drinks and a snack for $14 ($560,000) so some where in the ball park of $1.1 to $`1.3 million was made off the series plus that doesn't account for baseball hats, shirts, and parking passes and the amount of money spent at retail, hotels and restaurants in Oxford.

So money talks and I think Bianco is sitting fine as far as that is concerned! TN only fired Phat Phil when the stadium was only 2/3 full and alumni quit showing up for the game not because they thought he couldn't get them to a BCS bowl, but the university saw dollars leaving the program.

So wake up! This is not about titles its about $$$$$'s and you ain't going to see anything change for the higher ups until we only average 2k a game and don't make the post season i.e. quit having the opportunity to host a regionals! So make your criticism constructive not just negative talk!
OMNOB
2nd String
2nd String

So glad that the majority of the voters thus far seem to be of sound mind and body.

During the telecast today the announcers offered up a little information about OU Stadium, saying that it opened 1989 and had a whopping 1,000 souls in attendance. What Bianco has done with the Rebel program is near unfathomable. In the not-so-distant past, Ole Miss was by and large the doormat of the SEC.

To me, this is alot of what's wrong with society. Wanting now. Not later, but now.

Bill Cowher won his only Superbowl in his 14th season. Joe Torre won his first World Series in his 19th season. Bill Belichick was fired in Cleveland before taking the Patriots to 3 Superbowl titles. As far as I know, these are highly regarded coaches in sporting circles.

I guess, most importantly, for those of you who feel like the hammer should fall on Coach Bianco-

Who should be his replacement? Got anyone better in mind? Or has the crushing loss (yes, I hate it as much as anyone) just got in the way of straight and sober thinking?
"America is the New York Yankees of countries,powerful and respected until the year 2000"-Homer Simpson
mpzreb17
All SEC
All SEC

Was Mike Bianco not the coach when we lost those 3 super regionals in a row? Would this not, then, make it losing 4 super regionals in the past 5 years?

How can you defend someone who sneaks in? The only reason we got to host the d*** thing this year was because Irvine lost.

Maybe I should rephrase the question. If some "expert" coach was available, what then?
We Are Ole Miss
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

Absolutely not. I'm as frustrated as anyone else, but that is not the answer.
fis
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

Who do you think you are going to bring in that can keep getting you to super regionals? How often do you see a program or franchise make a coaching move when they are competiting at a high level only to go 2 steps back after a change?

I'll tell you what I am seeing. I saw it in Ark vs Florida state, and Florida vs USM and with OM vs VA today. The home teams seem to be feeling too much pressure playing in front of their home crowds when everything is on the line and they are not use to it. It just seems like kids at this age are nervous, they have alot of pressure and stress on them, they are in a posistion they have never been in or aren't use to being in and inevitably the grounder is going to find someone whose gonna bobble it away throw it away, or a pitcher who can't throw strikes or can't hit is spots or can't break off a good curve when he needs it, or a batter who can't pull the trigger or make decent contact. It's almost like that first trip to the deer woods and whatta ya know , 100 yards away. HOw many home team favorites have we seen knocked off this year in regionals and supers?

What you are seeing has nothing to do with bad coaching.
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

I've been one of the biggest Bianco supporters on here, and I still am. I was disappointed that he was out-coached this weekend (and he was, IMHO), but our guys were still the better team. This came down to exactly what I've been talking about all year--execution. We failed to execute. Saturday we left the door open and they scored 2 runs to win. Today we left the door open and they kicked it in.

What Bianco has done for this program is nothing short of amazing. I'm as disappointed as anyone. This afternoon I actually started calling the Diamond Rebs the Cubs of college baseball! I still think the curse viewpoint holds a lot of merit...LOL J/k...I hope! But while Bianco may have gotten out-coached this weekend (again, my opinion), he still was able to put us in position to win every single game. We made mental miscues and errors at the worst possible time and that's how you lose a SR.

You don't fire someone for taking you to 4 SRs in 5 years. That's just stupid. As long as we keep making this level it's only a matter of time before we break though. And if you look at teams that go to Omaha...Arizona State, Texas, LSU, Cal State-Fullerton, etc....they don't just go one year, it's like it's every year. Once we break through the Rebels will be a mainstay. And Bianco is the person who will get us there. I have faith in him. Yes, I think if nothing else he needs to re-evaluate some things. Perhaps situational hitting (why bunt when you have Henry at 2nd, Power at the plate and NO OUTS??), perhaps assistant coaches, perhaps pitching scenarios (146 pitches is a little excessive, even for Pom...). But in the end, Bianco took a team several folks on here and many Rebel fans left for dead back in March and led them the closest the Rebel program has ever been to Omaha. 5 outs. That's just 5 small outs away. One error that opened the door. 5 outs. That's pretty dadgum close.

So he has 8 months to pull it all together and do it all over again. And football in between that. Yeah, we're all disappointed, no doubt, but that's what SPORTS are all about. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Let's not lose sight of the great season this team had this season. And let's not sum up their entire season with a SR loss. These guys deserve our support for a job well done (overall) and we can get ready to go again next season.
GO REBELS!!!
done

OMNOB wrote:So glad that the majority of the voters thus far seem to be of sound mind and body.

During the telecast today the announcers offered up a little information about OU Stadium, saying that it opened 1989 and had a whopping 1,000 souls in attendance. What Bianco has done with the Rebel program is near unfathomable. In the not-so-distant past, Ole Miss was by and large the doormat of the SEC.

To me, this is alot of what's wrong with society. Wanting now. Not later, but now.

Bill Cowher won his only Superbowl in his 14th season. Joe Torre won his first World Series in his 19th season. Bill Belichick was fired in Cleveland before taking the Patriots to 3 Superbowl titles. As far as I know, these are highly regarded coaches in sporting circles.

I guess, most importantly, for those of you who feel like the hammer should fall on Coach Bianco-

Who should be his replacement? Got anyone better in mind? Or has the crushing loss (yes, I hate it as much as anyone) just got in the way of straight and sober thinking?
Well said
JoeRebel
3rd String
3rd String

Im not ever going to call someones opinoin stupid, but we DID just win a share of the SEC title.
"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."
Ronald Reagan
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

oxfordrebel wrote:I've been one of the biggest Bianco supporters on here, and I still am. I was disappointed that he was out-coached this weekend (and he was, IMHO), but our guys were still the better team. This came down to exactly what I've been talking about all year--execution. We failed to execute. Saturday we left the door open and they scored 2 runs to win. Today we left the door open and they kicked it in.

What Bianco has done for this program is nothing short of amazing. I'm as disappointed as anyone. This afternoon I actually started calling the Diamond Rebs the Cubs of college baseball! I still think the curse viewpoint holds a lot of merit...LOL J/k...I hope! But while Bianco may have gotten out-coached this weekend (again, my opinion), he still was able to put us in position to win every single game. We made mental miscues and errors at the worst possible time and that's how you lose a SR.

You don't fire someone for taking you to 4 SRs in 5 years. That's just stupid. As long as we keep making this level it's only a matter of time before we break though. And if you look at teams that go to Omaha...Arizona State, Texas, LSU, Cal State-Fullerton, etc....they don't just go one year, it's like it's every year. Once we break through the Rebels will be a mainstay. And Bianco is the person who will get us there. I have faith in him. Yes, I think if nothing else he needs to re-evaluate some things. Perhaps situational hitting (why bunt when you have Henry at 2nd, Power at the plate and NO OUTS??), perhaps assistant coaches, perhaps pitching scenarios (146 pitches is a little excessive, even for Pom...). But in the end, Bianco took a team several folks on here and many Rebel fans left for dead back in March and led them the closest the Rebel program has ever been to Omaha. 5 outs. That's just 5 small outs away. One error that opened the door. 5 outs. That's pretty dadgum close.

So he has 8 months to pull it all together and do it all over again. And football in between that. Yeah, we're all disappointed, no doubt, but that's what SPORTS are all about. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Let's not lose sight of the great season this team had this season. And let's not sum up their entire season with a SR loss. These guys deserve our support for a job well done (overall) and we can get ready to go again next season.
While I don't share your optimism. And I look at this season as a failure, I'm not sure firing Bianco is the answer. You can't say give him another year when most already think next year should/could be a down year for us. I'm so frustrated right now, I don't know what to do.

I'm sick of this "let's congratulate them on an outstanding year and get ready for season" crap. Oxfordrebel, I hate to single you out, but you could've saved time by just inserting one of your season ending posts from the last four or five years. You guys like to compare Bianco to Nutt at Ark. In my mind I equate Atlanta in Football to Omaha in baseball. Maybe that's unfair, but most will agree, make it to Atlanta and you're either playing the title game or the Sugar. That's how I compare them and Nutt went to Atl what 2/3 times (I don't really remember)? Bianco 9 years = 5 years of complete frustration in Super Regionals or 4 years. Whatever, you know what I'm saying.

I know I started the 'should Bianco be fired' thread a couple of weeks back and played Devil's Advocate, but I don't think that's the right call here. Pitching was good for the most part. Offense was pretty much non-existent after the Arkansas series. I think new hitting coaches are needed for sure. And make sure the new guy can teach players how to bunt since we're so determined to do it.
Some Random Dude