David Goforth (RFr.)
Michael Park (RFr.)
Cliff Vaughn (RFr.)

Sophomores (Definitely returning)
Matt Tracy
Logan Williams
Jake Morgan (RSo.)
Zack Rutland (RSo.)

Juniors (Probably returning, but draft eligible)
Nathan Baker
Aaron Barrett
Taylor Hashman
Cullan Kight
Rory McKean
Wade Broyles (RJr.)

There are some Jrs that I'm just not sure of. Mort, Miller, Irwin, and Henry are question marks. I'm sure some of them will be drafted, and I'm sure some of them won't--or will go so low that they decide to return next season. Right now I'm thinking there's a 70% chance that Mort and Henry are gone. I'll give Irwin and Miller a 50-50 chance. I think both will stay.

So if I'm right (and I'm usually not when it comes to the draft...) we'll need to fill C, SS, at least 2 OF, and at least 1 weekend starter on the mound. Worst case is that we lose 2 weekend starters, our entire outfield, and 3rd baseman.

I feel okay about catcher with Taylor Hightower on the roster, although we saw how long it took Henson to get adjusted to the everyday role and he never did develop the arm that Basham has.

Tim stepped up this year and did better than last season at 2nd. We were on him pretty bad at SS last season, but what most folks didn't realize is that he was playing hurt some last season too. He did okay this season and should be better next season.

I'd hate to see Mort leave after bring stability to the SS position this year. Same for Miller who did an outstanding job at being thrown into the 3B position and did a great job making that his home. But if they go, you have maybe Matt or Mike Snyder who could fall in there. I don't recall what all they each played in HS...so I'm not positive. I think SS is a position that Bianco would probably recruit a JUCO for. Maybe 3rd as well. It will depend on who comes back and who leaves. Hopefully both will stay.

OF is an issue. Taylor Hashman has gotten some PT. David Philips, of course. We'll see either a true freshman or a JUCO come in and play at least one of the 3 OF positions next year unless someone is converted.

Pitching will be a big strength of next season's team. Pom will anchor the rotation with Irwin (probably) still in the #2 spot. I think Barrett will get another shot in the 3rd spot and might do better as he show definite improvement as the season went on this year. It could also be Goforth or McKean competing for the other spot if they can prove they can go 110 or 120 pitches with good control. Possibly even Park, but I look for him to be a mid-week starter. Then again when it comes to pitchers, you never know when you might get a JUCO coming in to take a weekend spot. We keep Morgan and you know his stuff will be even nastier (is that a word?) next season. We all know he'll be the closer going in. Could he pull a Bittle and move into the Sunday starter spot? He doesn't really have the stamina though IMO. I think he could go 6 or 7 innings once or twice, but not every week. I think it will be like this season where we try several options to start and end up changing it a few times. Regardless, it's going to be an experienced, very SOLID pitching staff out there on the mound. Probably the best in the conference.

Offensively it's going to be the Matts (Snyder and Smith) being the work-horses again next season. I think we'll have a high team BA next season. I don't think we're going to have a pure HR hitter next year either, but personally I think a high BA hitter is better than a high HR hitter any day. Very, very few power hitters hit for average as well. High BA hitters are of course more likely to raise your RISP average which is what you must have.

Overall it's hard to say if we should expect a better or worse team next season. We'll have some key positions with experience like pitcher and 1B, but we'll have to break in some guys in the OF. There'll be some surprises in the offense cause there always is. Someone will have a breakout season and someone will fall apart at the plate. It just happens that way it seems.

We'll know more after this week's MLB Draft. What do you think? Better or worse next year? Who do you think we'll need to replace? Who looks to be up and coming stars? Who do you think will decline next season? Who could be a surprise hero?
GO REBELS!!!
Heath
All American
All American

Well, as for hitting, I hope many of these boys learn how to hit breaking pitches over the summer and fall. It just seemed like if a pitcher had decent breaking pitches, they would throw 1 breaking ball, 2 breaking balls, then a fastball up around the chest for the strikeout.

However, I am pleased with the returning pitching.....because good pitching will beat good hitting any day of the week!
olemissreb10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

If I know Jordan, I think he stays for academic reasons
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

olemissreb10 wrote:If I know Jordan, I think he stays for academic reasons
I sure hope so.

And Heath, I'm with you 110% on that! At least here late in the season our guys just sat on a first pitch fastball and treated it as such. When a pitcher gets ahead 0-1 he has a lot of options and the batter has to change his mindset. May they all learn the patience of, well, Jordan Henry.
GO REBELS!!!
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I'd be ecstatic if Henry comes back. He'll be a leader who sets the tone on and off the field. And he's a Vicksburg boy.

Pitching, I'm not worried about. We've got a very solid lineup coming back and Bianco always pulls in top pitching talent. Here's to hoping he can shorten our guys' wind up from the stretch.

We have got to shore up the bats. I know we have several players coming back, but after the last 3 weeks that doesn't excite me. I almost jumped off my 4th floor balcony watching guys sit there and stair at called third strikes. TO END THE SEASON NO LESS.

We'll be good. If the bats wake up, we could be better than this year. Big IF.
Some Random Dude
StrongRebel
2nd String
2nd String

I think Matt Snyder is going to be a stud next year! Put 10-15 lbs of muscle on him and he will be your pure homerun hitter with a good BAvg.

I believe he had as many HR as anybody on the team and he didn't really even see the field until Bianco realized he needed to increase hitting production by removing Basham and placing Henson in at catcher which opened up the DH position. I am glad Basham is gone bc I think he only saw the field bc he had some naked pics of Bianco with a strange woman or something or it could be Bianco love for the underdog fifth year catcher like himself.

So Snyder only played half the season and even then when Bianco felt he needed to keep those pics from going public he placed Basham in and removed Snyder from the line-up. I would like to know his at-bat count versus a starters to see how many HR he could have had if we would have benched Basham from the beginning.

And I am hearing that the Hightower kid was the best catcher on the team this year with the best hitting and arm, but he had a fifth year and a senior infront of him so I guess we will see next year. Bianco loves him some older catchers naturally!

And as far as hitting curve balls somebody needs to send Matt Smith to that hitting camp bc unless the pitcher just hung one over the plate he was just creating wind! Jabu don't like curve ball!
GtownRebel
All American
All American

Matt Synder I believe is a first baseman and Mike is a 3rd baseman.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Cullan Kight is not on the team anymore. He graduated and has one year of eligibility left so he is going to graduate school at Delta St. He will probably be an everyday starter there. He said he will see if he gets any interest from scouts. Not that it mattered, his playing time deminished this year.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I didnt think baker would go that high I think he might be gone. Look at this quote.

“I was actually in the shower when I found out about being drafted,” Baker said. “I had the phone on vibrate in case something happened and then it buzzed about 10 or 15 times. I thought it had to be someone else who got drafted because there was no way I would go that high. I feel very fortunate.

“This past season is the most fun I’ve ever had on a baseball field -- summer teams or anything, and that includes the Cape Cod. This team has so much team chemistry. That’s one of the things I would miss (if I were to go pro). At the moment I’m not sure at all. I can’t tell you at the moment (what I’ll decide). It’ll be a family decision.”

http://www.olemisssports.com/ViewArticl ... EM_ID=2600
Chucky_38
All American
All American

Whatever we do nexy year my season mantra will be...Just get to Omaha. I don't care about anything else.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Chucky_38 wrote:Whatever we do nexy year my season mantra will be...Just get to Omaha. I don't care about anything else.

Amen. I'll take an SECC on the way, but not to the exclusion of the CWS.
L. S. WHO?
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

We must get to Omaha.