The Man behind the man

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

QB Jevan Snead will get the attention this fall, but Snead says offensive coordinator Kent Austin deserves the credit

Early on Thursday morning, the rain started to fall outside the Indoor Practice Facility. Sitting inside behind his desk, Ole Miss offensive coordinator Kent Austin heard the heavy shower, rolled his eyes and groaned.

"Of all the days it had to rain. ...," he said while staring at a text message on his phone. "We just bought a house and today was the day the guys were supposed to come over and dig a hole for the swimming pool. Who knows when they're going to be able to do it now?"

And while Ole Miss fans would certainly not be happy about Austin's bad luck, the big news of that sentence isn't about the pool. It's about the house.

Looks like the Rebels' offensive architect plans on sticking around Oxford.

"Of course," he said, surprised someone would ask. "I'll stay here for as long they'll have me. When our family decided to come down here, we didn't take the decision lightly. This is a place where we want to stay for awhile."

And as long as the results are like last year, Austin figures to be gainfully employed. During last season's resurgence that included a 9-4 record and a Cotton Bowl victory, the Rebels averaged 32.1 points per game, which was the most since the Eli Manning years of the early 2000s and ranked second in the Southeastern Conference.

But more so than the points, people fell in love with Austin's offense because it was innovative and sometimes downright pretty. The Wild Rebel formation was a smashing success, quarterback Jevan Snead turned into one of the nation's elite and do-everything receiver Dexter McCluster became a pint-sized playmaking machine.

"He knows how to get players open, how to call it and when to call it," McCluster said. "As far as play-calling, he's the man."

Certainly, UM's offense also had the fingerprints of Houston Nutt all over it. The veteran head coach, who was a college quarterback just like Austin, used a similar formation called the Wild Hog at Arkansas and has always been willing to try new things.

But make no mistake, it was Austin who meshed together ideas and made the system work for the Rebels.

"Without Kent, we don't have the same success," Nutt said. "His background and intelligence have been so valuable. Like you saw from last season, he has the ability to pull the best out of people. We're lucky to have him."

And with seven offensive starters returning, including Snead and McCluster, the onus is upon Austin to have a suitable encore this fall. Once a curiosity, the Wild Rebel formation won't be a surprise to anybody and opponents will have a full season's worth of game tape to pick apart and study.

Nobody knows this better than Austin. And that's why he's constantly tinkering with plays on the marker board.

"My goal as an offensive coordinator is to never react to the defense - it needs to be the other way around," Austin said. "There's always things you can do to keep it fresh. Now we just have to see how much the players can absorb during fall camp."

And it's Snead who will have the brunt of that responsibility. Last season, the offensive play calling was pretty simple. Austin would tell his quarterback what play to run and, except for a few rare audibles, he did it.

For the most part, it worked. Snead threw for 2,762 yards and 26 touchdowns, including 16 over the six-game winning streak to end the season.

But this year, it's not going to be that simple.

Instead, Austin wants to send Snead to the line with a package of two or three plays. The quarterback then reads the defense and decides which play to run. It's a great concept, but one that isn't necessarily easy to execute.

That's why Austin spends a lot of time talking these days and Snead a lot of time listening.

"I'm afraid to interrupt him," Snead said. "I just try to soak up everything he says because he's a brilliant coach and anything I can learn from him I take."

Snead was mostly coy about any new formations, even though rumors have spread about something called the "Super Rebel." The quarterback would only confirm it existed, but pleaded ignorance about any other details because he's not part of it.

"Apparently, I'm not even athletic enough to be on the field for that one," Snead said with a grin.

But Austin could be the most brilliant coach in the world and still not look very smart if the players don't make good decisions, and Snead will be under the most scrutiny. ESPN television analyst Todd Blackledge said the quarterback's development is crucial if the Rebels want to finish among the nation's elite this fall.

"Sure, the offense is innovative, but it's not like Ole Miss scored all those points with smoke and mirrors," Blackledge said. "It's because they made plays. And this year, they'll have to execute at an even higher level because people will have a better idea about what's coming. Snead's a big part of that."

Austin agreed.

"Sometimes quarterbacks plateau," Austin said. "And we're trying to make sure that doesn't happen with Jevan. He's certainly very good right now, but he can get better and he knows that."

And Austin, despite his head coaching experience in the Canadian Football League, appears quite content sticking with the Ole Miss offense as a coordinator and making sure that happens.

When he came to Oxford last year, some wondered if he and Nutt would be able to co-exist. Others thought Austin's professional background and cerebral approach might fly over the heads of 18 to 22 year olds.

But so far, it's been an ideal situation - at least as long as it quits raining at some point so the Austins can have their swimming pool.

"I can't think of a better situation," Austin said. "Around here, everyone's ideas are respected and nobody cares who gets the credit. That's the only way great things can happen. I learned a long time ago that not every job in coaching is a great one. But this is one of them and I'm not taking it for granted."

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20 ... NTCAROUSEL
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
fis
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

that's a good read. I guess he's thinking there is a good chance when Nutt's gone it will be his job.
BigTrev34
All SEC
All SEC

Love what Austin says abou how he wants to make the defense react, not the other way around. I think we have 2 good future HC along with Nix. Although we have a hell of a HC now. But I thought Nutt couldnt work with any OCs bc he was too stubborn? Another BS myth Arky fans beat into our brains.
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

BigTrev34 wrote:Love what Austin says abou how he wants to make the defense react, not the other way around. I think we have 2 good future HC along with Nix. Although we have a hell of a HC now. But I thought Nutt couldnt work with any OCs bc he was too stubborn? Another BS myth Arky fans beat into our brains.
I keep reading about all these Boy Scout Myths. Man I shoulda been a scout.
rrlynch
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

BigTrev34 wrote:Love what Austin says abou how he wants to make the defense react, not the other way around. I think we have 2 good future HC along with Nix. Although we have a hell of a HC now. But I thought Nutt couldnt work with any OCs bc he was too stubborn? Another BS myth Arky fans beat into our brains.
FWIW, I don't see Nix being a head coach. Folks who I know who know him well say he has great coordinator material but hasn't really shown he can be a great HC. I also think he knows this and doesn't mind sticking with his job as is.
Don't try to teach a pig to sing. They'll call you silly names and get all bitter about head coach.
Chucky_38
All American
All American

rrlynch wrote:
FWIW, I don't see Nix being a head coach. Folks who I know who know him well say he has great coordinator material but hasn't really shown he can be a great HC. I also think he knows this and doesn't mind sticking with his job as is.
There may be some truth to that as he reportedly turned down the head coaching gig at USM.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
REBEL13
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

What do you guys (& gals) think about a coach in waiting deal for Austin? I think if we have the success we should this year, it would be a smart move.
Chucky_38
All American
All American

I don't know. The "coach in waiting" deals have come under fire because it ensures that minority coaches will not be interviewed for the position when it becomes available. And we came under fire already for hiring Nutt without interviewing any minorities. We really need to play it safe because we can't afford to keep upsetting the BCA.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

I'm not a big fan of the coach in waiting, but I'd love to see Coach Austin as the HC when Coach Nutt resigns. Austin seems very content with his position right now and loves Oxford. I don't think he's going anywhere for a while.
Nutt calls the formation the Wild Rebel. Which sure beats the heck out of Orgeron's Wild Boys.
----Calkins
BigTrev34
All SEC
All SEC

It shouldnt be done. I think that you cant do that unless we would know when Nutt leaves. That holds both the school and coach hostage if things get ugly. Its not a good idea at all
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

I think Austin would be a great hc but this is only coach Nutts second year and were already talking about the next coach. Hopefully we do so well this year and future years that we don't even have to consider who our next coach will be.
wpdrebel
Scout Team
Scout Team

my biggest fear is that after a couple more years austin will be gone. coach nutt has austin to thank for alot of the success last year. word will spread quickly about austin i am sure, and he will leave. i just hope we make the best of it while he is here.
For evil to succeed, let good men do nothing.
Hog_Corleone
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

Not a myth when he was at Arkansas. It was fact. I will say, however, that since he has been at Ole Miss, his tendencies while at Arkansas are not being repeated. Maybe he has changed, and I mean for the better, and he keeps Austin around. It seems like you guys are real high on him. I hope he has changed for your sake, I like to see all teams in the SEC be competitive, well, except for Tennessee, I mean really, they wear Orange, are called UT, I how much closer to looking like Texas can you get?
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.
done

This does not surprise me at all. He left Canada to come to Oxford...not just to return to the States or the South. This is where his family wants to be. I hope that he is the heir apparent, but I also hope that HDN has a LONG and successful run. KA is a great coordinator who has made a world of difference, but this team is IMO formed and defined by the spirit, the fire, the experiences (good and bad) and the abilities of their Head Coach.
BigTrev34
All SEC
All SEC

Hog_Corleone wrote:
Not a myth when he was at Arkansas. It was fact. I will say, however, that since he has been at Ole Miss, his tendencies while at Arkansas are not being repeated. Maybe he has changed, and I mean for the better, and he keeps Austin around. It seems like you guys are real high on him. I hope he has changed for your sake, I like to see all teams in the SEC be competitive, well, except for Tennessee, I mean really, they wear Orange, are called UT, I how much closer to looking like Texas can you get?
One huge difference. Thay have a fat midget only known by the name "O"