From Dixie with Love

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Chucky_38
All American
All American

I know this is a sore subject with alot of folks. I apologize in advance. I have read on more than a few occasions in the last several days that the Pride of the South will no longer be playing "From Dixie with Love" in the stadium. Does that mean it will not be played at halftime? Or does that mean not at all? Its a big part and a favorite of the pregame routine. Will it be replaced or will our pregame show just be shortened? The band usually plays at game's end as well. Is that over too?
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
mascott
3rd String
3rd String

why would it be a sore subject
done

Where have you read that? If that is true that will be the last straw for me after more than forty years as a loyal bleed red and blue Rebel fan.

My golf bag says Ole Miss. My baby's nursery is all Ole Miss. My oldest son's first word was "Archie". It is in my will that a recording of the Ole Miss band playing "From Dixie With Love" be played at my funeral.

If the ball-less bastards that run the school bow to this......I am out of here...no matter what the football team's record is.

Everyone has a line... when they started stripping us of all our history and tradition...I determined that this was mine and it is non-negotiable.
JoeRebel
3rd String
3rd String

I personally can see both sides of the arguement over the "Confederate Battle Flag" but, I have NEVER been able to figure out the angle on how any part of the Dixie songs hurt anyone. Anything with Dixie is hurtful, but Yankee Doodle Dandy isn't?
"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."
Ronald Reagan
MtownRebel
3rd String
3rd String

It's not an issue with the song. It's an issue with the students yelling the south will rise again during the song.

They aren't going to cut the song out completely, only after the game. It'll still be played during the pregame routine and in the Grove.

You want the song to stay? Make the students stop being ignorant and yelling that *beep* during the song. The University tried to take a step in the right direction by playing Elvis' version and reinforcing singing his truth is marching on, albeit they forgot to ask for permission to play the video.

I have no more comments on this matter, and let's try to refrain from the yearly debate on what is tradition, offensive, etc.
dehight
Water Boy
Water Boy

Not to enhance the argument on tradition, etc...but do the people who oppose Dixie honestly think it is a Southern (Slavery) song? Dixie may have been "adopted" by the South during the Civil War but was originally written by a Northerner from Ohio in 1859. It just goes to show the idiocy of some people who oppose a song that was written by a Northerner. Also, the point made above of how "Yankee Doodle" could be offensive is spot on. Honestly I feel at times like I belong more to the South than the USA. I guess that just goes to show the strong TRADITION that the South cherishes (something lacking elsewhere).
dgmcdowe
2nd String
2nd String

When everyone screams "The South Will Rise Again", I prefer to scream "The Truth Keeps Marching On!" louder.
I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance.

-William Faulkner
wildthang80
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

I prefer to scream FORTY-FIVE TO NOOOOOTHING. For all of my bullpups I work with. I guess I can only do that for a few more months.
MtownRebel
3rd String
3rd String

dehight wrote:Not to enhance the argument on tradition, etc...but do the people who oppose Dixie honestly think it is a Southern (Slavery) song? Dixie may have been "adopted" by the South during the Civil War but was originally written by a Northerner from Ohio in 1859. It just goes to show the idiocy of some people who oppose a song that was written by a Northerner. Also, the point made above of how "Yankee Doodle" could be offensive is spot on. Honestly I feel at times like I belong more to the South than the USA. I guess that just goes to show the strong TRADITION that the South cherishes (something lacking elsewhere).
It doesn't have to do with Dixie. Dixie will still be played. It has to do with TSWRA.
dehight
Water Boy
Water Boy

[/quote]It doesn't have to do with Dixie. Dixie will still be played. It has to do with TSWRA.[/quote]

Which is the best part of the song! What is wrong with the South rising again? I'm not talking about slavery. I'm talking about the fact that the South was economically stable. Prior to the Civil War the South was economically strong and a leader in the world economy. I scream TSWRA as loud as I can. Because I'm sick of what the South has become. I do not support slavery but I do wish that the South would rise again to the powerhouse it once was.
MtownRebel
3rd String
3rd String

It's not part of the song oh scholar of Dixie.
done

MtownRebel wrote:
It doesn't have to do with Dixie. Dixie will still be played. It has to do with TSWRA.
If that is the case, then not playing the song is a particularly lame attempt to try and control a bunch of drunk students. I would have no problem with immediate ejection of anyone stupid enough to scream tswra, or maybe even at long last a serious attempt to control alcohol consumption on campus by students...but you don't penalize those of us who would never be so ignorant by eliminating, or even limiting, one of our most treasured traditions. How beautiful was the scene after the Cotton Bowl when the band was playing that song..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pso20F-VXQE

In what will surely be a failed attempt to control these yahoos, these dumb asses are going to succeed in driving away the true Rebel fans and then they will only be left with the idiotic drunk students who are doing this to begin with. And, I also don't buy that this is even the reason they are doing this. I think this is just their chicken *beep* way of phasing the song out...and the name will be next. Enough is enough. This is where we should absolutely draw the line.
done

dehight wrote: Which is the best part of the song! What is wrong with the South rising again? I'm not talking about slavery. I'm talking about the fact that the South was economically stable. Prior to the Civil War the South was economically strong and a leader in the world economy. I scream TSWRA as loud as I can. Because I'm sick of what the South has become. I do not support slavery but I do wish that the South would rise again to the powerhouse it once was.
That is disturbingly naive. The South Will Rise Again is absolutely a phrase from folks who wished the South would have won the Civil War, which would have been one of the most disastrous occurrences in history. From Dixie with Love commemorates one of the most defining events of our history. The blood of those who fought to defend their homes, and those who fought to defend their unified nation, and those who fought to end the Godless atrocity of human bondage is in our soil. That blood rises into the air as vapor and falls back down as rain. That blood is intermingled in those boys, black and white, who play this game together in that Ole Miss uniform.

That war saved this nation and made us stronger. And no piece of art more beautifully conveys the Glory, the horror and the courage of that time. of this nation, than from Dixie with love which celebrates the troops from both sides and the Glory of God that gave us the appropriate outcome...a unified great nation and at least a codified freedom from bondage (which would not have happened as quickly without the war). That song also in its own beautiful way salutes and celebrates how far we have come...

And the fact that a bunch of drunk yahoos would ruin that beauty by acting like adolescents and repeating that ridiculous chant *beep* me off to my core. The fact that the gutless administration would use those drunk yahoos as an excuse to expand and accelerate their "political correctness" assault on our traditions *beep* me off even more. As far as I am concerned, the drunk students and the administration can all go to hell...never to "rise again".
wildthang80
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Agreed Rebchuck, so that is why I will continue to use the ole miss band playing from dixie with love as my ringtone.
Chucky_38
All American
All American

I don't have a problem with the song myself. I would argue that the name "Rebels" and "Ole Miss" are more offensive than FDWL but that is not the point.

The point is there is a large section of people who scream "The South will Rise Again" and it MUST stop. I am opposed to nothing that will stop that nonsense. We simply do not need that.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!