Ole Miss-ery

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

mkibrickkatz
Water Boy
Water Boy

How is everyone handling the preseason hype. Here's one take I thought was pretty funny on what it's like to deal with unusual preseason optimism.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2009/0 ... -rebel-fa/
rebeloke
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

mkibrickkatz wrote:How is everyone handling the preseason hype. Here's one take I thought was pretty funny on what it's like to deal with unusual preseason optimism.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2009/0 ... -rebel-fa/
Dude, that is scary how on the money he is...
RichmondVAReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

I notice that this was the first post by the poster that posted this. Maybe he is just trying to jinx us with his dark conspiracy theories. However, I agree that a lot of what he says has gone through my mind too, so I think it was actually theropeutic for me to read that. BUT, I am the eternal optimist, and I believe that Coach Nutt has been through all this time and time again and knows exactly the right buttons to push and when the time will be right to push them. He will get our guys to take one game at a time, and he will produce. That slogan of "unsatisfied" and taking one game at a time is going to do the trick. No one will be able to stop our Rebs this year (not even those bama leaning referees we've had to contend with over the years that produced unbelievable head scratching calls just at the critical time in each game). Let's just take one game at a time, and we will be fine.
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

So it could be.
Maybe.
But I ain't gonna let the rain from some media journalist get me down.
Sure, if we almost get there it would be upsetting, just as it was when we suddenly couldn't kick a field goal.
But if we win nine or ten, then in no way will I be dissappointed.
Frankly, I find this piece of journalism distateful and repugnant. Why?
Because...
Are we supposed to expect less?
And if you say yes, I would not imagine how.
And this is what makes college football the greatest game in the world.
done

BobReb wrote:So it could be.
Maybe.
But I ain't gonna let the rain from some media journalist get me down.
Sure, if we almost get there it would be upsetting, just as it was when we suddenly couldn't kick a field goal.
But if we win nine or ten, then in no way will I be dissappointed.
Frankly, I find this piece of journalism distateful and repugnant. Why?
Because...
Are we supposed to expect less?
And if you say yes, I would not imagine how.
And this is what makes college football the greatest game in the world.
I will not reduce my expectations, because I actually think this may be the best chance we have for years because of the "perfect storm" I have mentioned before. I have NEVER seen a year where there are basically only two of the twelve teams returning a proven QB. Us and Florida. Plus we have the traditionally tough games in Oxford.

Turnovers and injuries are the keys, but absent high numbers of those two, I still see no reason to temper my expectations for this particular year.
BigTrev34
All SEC
All SEC

Too many preseason articles. I read one every week saying we will fall short of expectations and then one that says we can surprise and be a national contender. When the season starts its just football. No one has ever lost a game bc expectations were too high. Remember that
MtownRebel
3rd String
3rd String

Clay Travis is my boy. He was spot on with this article.
BrettInAtlanta
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Great article.

I loved, "Starkville, where they still call escalators, magic stairs."
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." ~ Benjamin Franklin
rrlynch
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

MtownRebel wrote:Clay Travis is my boy. He was spot on with this article.
Clay Travis is overrated. He's only marginally clever. Most of his jokes are just rehashed memes (Florida fans wear jorts, etc.). He's a better writer than most in the biz and this particular article was indeed spot on, but I'm not his biggest fan.
Don't try to teach a pig to sing. They'll call you silly names and get all bitter about head coach.
Chucky_38
All American
All American

Clay Travis wrote a book called DIXIELAND DELIGHT that chronicles his quest to watch a home game in every SEC members stadium throughout one season. If you haven't read it, you should. Its hilarious and very entertaining. Starkville ranked among the worst in terms of stadium, campus, town, atmosphere and girls!
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!