Are you nervous about memphis game?

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

I was just reading a article from the memphis commercial appeal about a interview that was conducted with memphis head coach Tommy west. In the interview he was asked what he thought about the schedule and he claimed that he loved it because memphis has never had the chance to knock off a top ten team in a season opener before. I'll be the first to say that now that we have a great coach and great players we should blow memphis out of the water but we all remember the 2003 game when memphis beat our eli led rebels by ten. This is by far the biggest game on their schedule and they are going to be willing to scratch and claw us to try to send us home with a loss that day! This fact makes me very nervous but being that our guys are going to take it one day at a time and have major confidence in themselves I think we will beat memphis, it just may not be a blowout. I'm also concerned about vandy because they return 18 starters from last years team and the game is at vandy. I think that it is vital for our rebs to be undefeated going into that vandy game. Our rebs confidence will be sky high going into that game if we had just beaten south carolina on the road on national television the previous week. On paper we should start the season off 4 or 5-0 just by talent alone but we all know that doesn't guarantee wins (aka olemiss 31 lsu 13).
rebeloke
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

jrebel87 wrote:In the interview he was asked what he thought about the schedule and he claimed that he loved it because memphis has never had the chance to knock off a top ten team in a season opener before...
With all due respect, I don't think Memphis is a real threat. If they are then Ole Miss got sabotaged by biological warfare or some fluke sickness. Other than total and complete desecration of the team health the night before, our third team could win this game.
dgmcdowe
2nd String
2nd String

If the rebels lose to memphis, I will sell the rest of my season tickets.
I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance.

-William Faulkner
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

jrebel87 wrote:In the interview he was asked what he thought about the schedule and he claimed that he loved it because memphis has never had the chance to knock off a top ten team in a season opener before...
What do you expect him to say, that we are gonna hand them their butts. It is typical coach speak.
As for worries: Can Memphis beat us, sure. Nothing is impossible. They have some good second-hand former SEC players. But we have better players and a better HC. West couldn't beat us with O at the helm when we were one of the most disorganized programs in the history of college football with a walk-on JUCO at QB.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
wildthang80
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Talk is cheap tommy west.
rrlynch
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

No.
Don't try to teach a pig to sing. They'll call you silly names and get all bitter about head coach.
MtownRebel
3rd String
3rd String

Our starting defensive line against Memphis was Kentrell Lockett, Emmanuel Stephens, Marcus Tillman and Lawon Scott.

Hardy and Laurent were out with injuries and Garrett Ryan saw significant playing time and even had a decent game against the Tigers. We had Tillman playing out of position, Stephens playing his first ever FBS game and two other linemen with limited experience.

How did they fare? Really well until Memphis started gaining chunks of useless yards in the fourth. A feat that Tommy West said showed what kind of team the Tigers were. Aparently showing Bowers, Helow and Ryan they can get four yards on a rush is a beat feat for those Tigers.

The secondary had Marshay Green playing his first ever game at nickel back, converted wide out Kendrick Lewis at free safety and one of the starting corners was Dustin Mouzon.

They still held the Tigers in check.

Flash forward a year and the defensive line is far deeper than the line that faced the Tigers last season, the secondary has plenty more experience and the linebackers are improved.

Then you have a Memphis Tiger squad comprised of transfers who are out of practice and many of whom are notorious for bad work ethics and poor performances mentally.

They also have some holes on the offensive line and a brand new defensive system that they did not start learning until AFTER spring practice.

We will not lose to Memphis (knock on wood)

Cliff Notes - No.
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

as for Vandy, their team last year WAS NOT THAT GOOD. Early in the season they were the recepients of playing against several teams breaking in new systems and/or QBs, not a good mix against a Bobby Johnson coached squad. This resulted in mistakes by those teams, which resulted in turnovers, usually deep in the opponents territory, setting up short fields for one of the worst offenses in FBS last season. If Vandy doesn't force TOs, they are arguably the worst team in the conf (not forcing TOs resulted in losing to the lowest scoring offenses in the league last season-State and TN). They will probably be a bit better on offense b/c of the Smith kid at QB and experience across the OL, but they will probably take a small step back on D with the loss of DJ Moore, Reshard Langford, and 3 other key backups from last year's secondary.
Vandy always plays us tough, and I don't like the fact the game is sandwiched in between our first big test (SoCar) and first big hype game (Bama), but I just don't see us losing this year to a team that we would have beaten last year had we limited TOs by at least 21. The fact that the game is in Nashville has no bearing on the outcome of this one (its a 40k capacity stadium where over a third there will be wearing red or blue).
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

another reason to ease your fears slightly about Tiger High=they return 1 starter on the OL and have a combined 17 starts among OL starters. Doesn't bode well for a group who has to go up against what could be one of the top-5 DL in the nation with 5 guys with 74 combined starts (Scott, Tillman, Hardy, Lockett, and Laurent) and 3 others with substantial game experience (Stephens, Powe, and Smith).
done

rrlynch wrote:No.
What he said...with emphasis!
rrlynch
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Rebchuck18 wrote:
In fact, I'm so not-nervous that I'm more worried about finding a seat at the sports bar we DC area Rebs watch games at than I am about winning this one.

Snead will go 25 for 20 with a billion yards and infinity touchdowns. Dexter will score roughly half of those inifinty touchdowns. Greg Hardy will accidentally (at least, he'll say it was accidental) rip Arkelon Hall's right leg off before Jerrell Powe ingests it. The coaches will then scold Powe because quarterback-leg isn't a part of the healthy dietary regiment he should be following. We will have one three-and-out, just to remind our team that such an event is possible. It will set Joshua Shene up for an 80 yard field goal. He will make it.

Trust me, this game worries me not.
Don't try to teach a pig to sing. They'll call you silly names and get all bitter about head coach.
cajunrebel

rrlynch wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:
In fact, I'm so not-nervous that I'm more worried about finding a seat at the sports bar we DC area Rebs watch games at than I am about winning this one.

Snead will go 25 for 20 with a billion yards and infinity touchdowns. Dexter will score roughly half of those inifinty touchdowns. Greg Hardy will accidentally (at least, he'll say it was accidental) rip Arkelon Hall's right leg off before Jerrell Powe ingests it. The coaches will then scold Powe because quarterback-leg isn't a part of the healthy dietary regiment he should be following. We will have one three-and-out, just to remind our team that such an event is possible. It will set Joshua Shene up for an 80 yard field goal. He will make it.

25 for 20?
"I'm a solid verbal."

- Prospect name here
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

cajunrebel wrote:
rrlynch wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote: What he said...with emphasis!

25 for 20?
He has such a great day, he complete's more passes than he throws. Now that's an accomplishment.
Nutt calls the formation the Wild Rebel. Which sure beats the heck out of Orgeron's Wild Boys.
----Calkins
Chucky_38
All American
All American

rrlynch wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:

Hilarious.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
dgmcdowe
2nd String
2nd String

rrlynch wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:

If this is the case, I cannot WAIT for the Southeastern game.
I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance.

-William Faulkner