Does Boldin starting over Enrique davis suprise you?

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

I was just going over the list that has last years class on it and one major thing popped up to me that I think more people should pay attention to. Boldin is our starter this year and he is obviously our best rb. Some people think that a players worth can only be judged by how many "stars" they received on rivals or scout. Davis was a 5 star recruit and boldin was like a 2 or 3 star yet boldin is our best rb. If you look at the stats then you will see that more 3 and 4 star players end up being better sec players then most 5 stars! What it ultimately comes down to no matter what star you are is how do you perform in the sec? Patrick Willis was a low star recruit yet he ended up being one of the best lbs ever to come out of the sec. I think Boldin is going to have a huge year this year, I personally think he'll top 1000 yards. He had his coming out game against texas tech gaining over a hundred yards and racked up 600 yds rushing while competing with 3 other rbs last year! Coach Nutt said that hes even faster and stronger then he was last year and we all saw how much better his footwork was in the grove bowl.
badmotorfinger
All American
All American

I'm not at all surprised that BoldEn is the starter.
Rule #1.......Don't panik
done

He would be my pick to start. IMO the most consistent and effective runner we had last year. And Enrique will give a little different look when he comes in. I see our running back attack as being similar to the New York Giants..giving different looks and speeds to the opposing defense throughout the game and keeping them off balance..combine that with the Wild rebel and Snead to Hodge, Summers, Breaux and Dex and d*** I'm getting excited...
MtownRebel
3rd String
3rd String

In the type of offense we run, 1000 yards is going to be difficult for any running back to attain. Eason is proven, Dex is going to get his touches, Bolden, Enrickey and even Devin Thomas are going to get carries.

Will Bolden be the premiere back for us? Certainly. I think Thomas is actually going to see more playing time than ED before the season is over, that is unless Davis can learn how to use his blocks and not run so tall.

And while I don't put too much into the star system (focus more on the offer lists) you cannot discredit it. Sure, Willis was a two-star and Wallace wasn't highly ranked either, but if you really sit down and look at it, the amount of 2 and 3 star guys that never really amount to anything is substantial.

The recruiting sites aren't perfect, but they usually get more right than wrong. Unless you have some sort of proof about the statement saying more three stars are successful than five stars, I am not going to buy that.
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I think Devin Thomas is going to surprise a lot of people this year. Really liked him in HS and hes really worked hard to rehab his leg. Dude can juke it. Hard to believe we have so many good RB now. nice problem.
chrismo2373
Water Boy
Water Boy

I will take Bolden over Enrique anyday. Harder worker, smarter, plays harder and seems to have a chip on his shoulder everytime he touches the football. Also heard he is probably top 5-10 fastest guys on the team now and hands down the strongest running back.
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

MtownRebel wrote:And while I don't put too much into the star system (focus more on the offer lists) you cannot discredit it. Sure, Willis was a two-star and Wallace wasn't highly ranked either, but if you really sit down and look at it, the amount of 2 and 3 star guys that never really amount to anything is substantial.

The recruiting sites aren't perfect, but they usually get more right than wrong. Unless you have some sort of proof about the statement saying more three stars are successful than five stars, I am not going to buy that.
Its not inconceivable that more 3* are successful than 5*, but it is also a numbers game; Rivals only ranks 250 or so 4* or higher (17 5* currently) and Scout's numbers aren't substantially different (right now 35 5*). I think the more accurate analysis would be by percentage. of course then you have to determine what the term 'successful' means.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
RichmondVAReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

The goal of the star system is to rate raw talent, and the manipulators of that system do a so-so job at that. But what they can't rate are psychological talents. Some kids with loads of talent know they have that talent and develop an entitlement attitude. When that happens, the chances are greatly reduced that that player will ever come close to his potential. Others naturally gifted athletes see an inner opportunity to be truly unique and devote their lives to being their best and ultimately develop great drive and determination. That seems to be the key to success to me.

On the other hand, most 2 and 3 stars are just average and produce the expected results. Some, however, just don't have that certain shine to them that attracts attention. Somehow though they sense they have a special talent inside (and some coaches seem to have a sense of that too), and they set out to prove what they have despite their low ratings. The sky is the limit when you combine determination and hidden exceptional talent. The coaches that can spot that are great indeed.
TNreb
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Bolden was our only RB not to fumble. He's a hard runner and gets that extra yard when it's 3rd and 4 and he gets every inch to get the 1st down. Great RB. I hope Enrrrrriiiickkky has improved since last year. He had that great run against Alabama.
done

TNreb wrote:Bolden was our only RB not to fumble. He's a hard runner and gets that extra yard when it's 3rd and 4 and he gets every inch to get the 1st down. Great RB. I hope Enrrrrriiiickkky has improved since last year. He had that great run against Alabama.
I thought Enrique was fine for us last year, I just think that Bolden is more the grind it out consistent runner. I think Bolden is our jab and Enrique is our big left hook...
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I asked shay hodge who ran the fastest 40s on the team, he told me on any given day it could be dex, vaughn, summers, or bolden.. That really shocked me because I think of bolden as being a banger who always falls forward for an extra 3 yards, not really a burner.. I think Bolden is by far our best back but I love having a fresh back ready to go at any given time... If we are having this debate at qb thats usually never a good sign. If we are having this debate at running back, that is a very good problem to have...
OMNOB
2nd String
2nd String

badmotorfinger wrote:I'm not at all surprised that BoldEn is the starter.
Yeah, it would be simply smashing if he would learn to spell the players names correctly.
"America is the New York Yankees of countries,powerful and respected until the year 2000"-Homer Simpson
dgmcdowe
2nd String
2nd String

OMNOB wrote:
badmotorfinger wrote:I'm not at all surprised that BoldEn is the starter.
Yeah, it would be simply smashing if he would learn to spell the players names correctly.
Oh, come on, it's endearing. Sort of. :roll:
I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance.

-William Faulkner