Hagar's "State of the Confederacy" Address

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

Okay I am writing this without benefit of reading others postings about what I saw at practice on tuesday the second day of practice. I don't know how to begin other than just to make bullet observations so here goes.

1.Bobby Massie is NFL ready and can handle himself quite well against the ones.
2 Tim Simon is going to be difficult to keep off the field and in my opinion should possibily be used both ways. I would make him into a FB and use him as a running FB instead of a blocking FB.
3. Melvin Harris easily has the softest hands of any WR I have ever seen and you can't coach 6' 8". I don't know how fast he is because with that frame you can't judge how much distance he is covering with that long stride.
4.Marshay Green has become a true "Shut Down Corner"
5. Korvic Neat is a Dexter Clone but he seems much smaller than Dexter was when he was a freshman if that is possible.
6.Our OL is going to be the weakness of the team, if there is going to be one, but I don't think it will matter much because we have the Skill Positions covered in spades and Jevan Snead making the decisions... all they will have to do is hold their blocks for 3 seconds and the play is over.
7. Greg Hardy doesn't look the same to me...if he isn't on Steroids I will be surprised, He looks like he has changed his body so much it isn't funny. he has some Huge guns now and is intimidating as hell.
8. Pat Patterson held his own today with Marshay Green covering him...he is already cut from the same cloth as Shay Hodge and will be a sunday player. I expect him to get a few SEC player of the week accolades this fall.
9. Powe and Ted laurent are now interchangeable, Both looked very impressive to me.
10. Emmanual McCray appeared to me to be a bust... I hope I wasn't expecting to much from him.
11 Grandy is very weak looking but appears to run great routs and has good hands... I don't expect him to contribute much this fall.
12. I watched Ritter kick a few punts today and he shanked a few. good distance though but still I guess you would say he had a bad day.
13. Dexter and Snead were very impressive today and were their usual... just GREAT.
14.Derrick Herman is going to very good at Safety. I only hope Tig doesn't keep him off the field...should they place Tig at Safety.
15.Enrique Davis seems to have Bulked up some and now appears to be bigger than Bolden... possible FB move??
16.I have never seen the intensity at practice i saw today from coaches to players. I hope to see it transfer to the field. Coach Austin is a very intense coach.
17.Kentrell Lockett reminds me of G Hard last year. He has gained some upper body strength and still remains as quick as ever.
18. Raymond Cotton loooks much bigger than I was expecting and may have elevated himself above Nathan Stanley in the QB pecking order. He very much impressed me today.
19. Nathan Stanley still throws a great ball but he seemed off today... he might have been having a bad day.
20. Any team that is going to beat us this year is going to have to have the most explosive Offense I have ever seen to score on our Defense. our Offense is going to score a lot of points. I think it will take a very bad day for us to lose a ballgame with all of the tools we have at our disposal. Our Defense is better than it was last year... right now.

This is all I can think of right nw... my wife just came in screaming something at me so I guess I will stop here and read what others think.
Later,
Hagar
fis
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

thanks for the report. I wouldn't worry much about Mcray. Nutt sounds pretty high on him and they have a good track record developing solid o-lines.
hottytoddyrebel
Scout Team
Scout Team

I agree with most of what you said hagar. Watch out for those two young DB's, sawyer and campbell... Grandy is better than you gave him credit for. Saying that Enrique is bigger than Bolden might be a strech however, enrique is 2 inches taller than bolden and they are both at the same weight... so take it as you will. Defense was swarming today yall, defense is on point. We are focused and were out to get some revenge on the offense, which we accomplished. This team is growing everyday, we are getting deeper at positions that we were pretty thin at last year, and getting deeper at already deep positions(see running backs).

It's a great time to be a rebel
don't question my knowledge
P-nut
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

Nice post Hagar, very nice! Thanks for taking the time.
wpdrebel
Scout Team
Scout Team

thanks for the detailed report. keep em comming.
For evil to succeed, let good men do nothing.
rrlynch
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

fis wrote:thanks for the report. I wouldn't worry much about Mcray. Nutt sounds pretty high on him and they have a good track record developing solid o-lines.
For real. It's not fair to label a guy a "bust" after watching his second collegiate practice ever.
Don't try to teach a pig to sing. They'll call you silly names and get all bitter about head coach.
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Thanks Hagar! Re Hardy, dont think he is on anything except the Decker's weight room. :)
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Good report but calling true freshman McCray a bust after 2 practices is a little harsh. He's still trying to remember his locker combination.
Nutt calls the formation the Wild Rebel. Which sure beats the heck out of Orgeron's Wild Boys.
----Calkins
hottytoddyrebel
Scout Team
Scout Team

Redbluedude wrote:Good report but calling true freshman McCray a bust after 2 practices is a little harsh. He's still trying to remember his locker combination.
How many coach Nutt press conferences did you read to get that zinger?
don't question my knowledge
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

Redbluedude wrote:Good report but calling true freshman McCray a bust after 2 practices is a little harsh. He's still trying to remember his locker combination.
You can always rate "effort"...you can tell when someone is trying and when someone isn't even paying attention...again... maybe he was just having a bad day.
Later,
Hagar
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

Hagar wrote:
You can always rate "effort"...you can tell when someone is trying and when someone isn't even paying attention...again... maybe he was just having a bad day.
Nutt was complimentary of him on Monday, so maybe just a bad day. From the reports I have read, seems like the OL overall was having a pretty tough time with the DL yesterday.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
done

olemsdave76 wrote:
Hagar wrote:
Nutt was complimentary of him on Monday, so maybe just a bad day. From the reports I have read, seems like the OL overall was having a pretty tough time with the DL yesterday.
I would expect that this early in workouts. As a a matter of fact if that wasn't the case I would be worried about the DL. Going against our DL in workouts will assist in the development of this OL . I have faith that by the time we play that first conference game the OL will be game ready and as has been stated, with the diversity and dynamic of our offense, they won't be as vulnerable if they were just blocking for a drop back passing attack or grind it out running game.
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter
Location: Got a Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart.

The golden leg shanked punts? Why is he punting? Didn't we put another punter on scholarship this year?
You've just got to learn from the wrong things you've done. I came off the rebound, started looking around, figured out it's time to have a little fun.
done

parrotreb wrote:The golden leg shanked punts? Why is he punting? Didn't we put another punter on scholarship this year?
Backoff R, he is not costing a scholly this year :D

But I was wondering the same thing. Andrew is a kicker, not a punter.

But he is a helluva kicker and there will be a time in the future when you will be sitting in your sweet seats and he wins a big game and you will say "Give that kid a scholly" :D
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter
Location: Got a Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart.

Rebchuck18 wrote:
parrotreb wrote:The golden leg shanked punts? Why is he punting? Didn't we put another punter on scholarship this year?
Backoff R, he is not costing a scholly this year :D

But I was wondering the same thing. Andrew is a kicker, not a punter.

But he is a helluva kicker and there will be a time in the future when you will be sitting in your sweet seats and he wins a big game and you will say "Give that kid a scholly" :D
I will refrain from any further comment on the kicker. I had forgotten that you know him personally.
You've just got to learn from the wrong things you've done. I came off the rebound, started looking around, figured out it's time to have a little fun.