ITs game week! Any last thoughts or concerns?

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

I personally think that we are ready for the season and I think we'll beat memphis handily. I do think however that we will come out a little flat and allow memphis to score early on us and maybe go into half up 14-7 or maybe even something like 14-10. However, in the second half we will get more comfortable and our superior athleticism will take over and we will probably end up winning 38-17 or along those lines. Memphis will be ready and very motivated for this game because we are the first top ten team to play em since 1999 and since they are always fired up anyways to play us they will def. be ready this time. I just hope we don't go out there and lay a egg. I seriously doubt that'll happen because our staff has kept these guys humble and hungry to prove something. On a different note, can yall believe were coming in ranked number 8!! Its a great time to be a rebel indeed now lets go take care of business!
dgmcdowe
2nd String
2nd String

...no way they score 14, let alone get up against us. Not even if we start Tapp.
I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance.

-William Faulkner
Chucky_38
All American
All American

I am very excited and happy to be a Rebel. Thank you Houston Nutt and yes, thank you Pete Boone.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
Memphis Jack
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I spent an hour or so today at Barnes & Nobel looking through the various magazines dedicated to SEC sports, such as the SI with Jevan on the cover. Without exception, each magazine had nothing but praise for the Rebels and predicted great things for us this year. One predicted we'd win the West, lose to Florida in Atlanta and finish 11-1.

It was heady stuff that we haven't seen in many years. In fact, not since I was there in the early 60's. Here are my concerns:

Concern 1- Despite everything Nutt and the other coaches say and do, the players will hear this stuff and it will be very difficult for them not to be affected by it.

Concern 2- Even if the coaches are successful keeping the team grounded and hungry, all these articles become potent bulletin board material for our opponents and in this league giving your opponents ammunition makes the task even harder than it is already.

Concern 3- Injuries to key players. We have depth, but it would be quite a different team without Jevan, Dexter, Hardy, Jerry and a few others. That's true for every team, of course, but still a valid concern.

Having said that, it's not us doing the talking, it's the various writers, so there is little the coaches can do about it except to ignore the hype and keep working hard. I am optimistic they will succeed and we will have a great season. Go Rebels!
Last edited by Memphis Jack on Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mascott
3rd String
3rd String

thank you pete boone 8O
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

Who hired Houston Nutt?
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter
Location: Got a Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart.

and a broken watch is right twice a day.
You've just got to learn from the wrong things you've done. I came off the rebound, started looking around, figured out it's time to have a little fun.
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

"I don’t think this team has ever been more exited going into a season. I’ve been waiting for this day since we started spring football, and all throughout the summer we’ve been talking about this game. We’re just ready to go"
Jevon's thoughts^^ :)

Only concern I have is the depth on OLine/Secondary, but there's always something, so lets KICK IT! GO REBELS!

My game plan:
pre game, :twisted:
game, :x
post game, :D
done

parrotreb wrote:and a broken watch is right twice a day.
Actually 24 times a day..... 8)

Which is much better than PB!
Cajun_L
Water Boy
Water Boy

Amen Parrotreb! :D

Houston will have them ready
Rebels win big!!!

GO REBELS
1OLEMISSREBEL
All American
All American

Like most of you fellow reb fans, I have been counting off the days until Sunday since we won the Cotton Bowl. Football season is my favorite time of the year. A big thanks to our coaching staff for what they have accomplished. Thanks to each member on the team. I will remember that our expectations as fans are your expectations too. I will be supportive of this team come what may... I will be in section C making some noise!!!!
Even a bad day as a Rebel is better than a good day with the dawgs!!!!
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

A funny quote from Tiger High:

"I am excited about Hall's improvements. He's got stiff competition from Bass for the starting nod this year, so it should be interesting. We should be ready to go with our QB's and if not win, we should hang in there with Ole Miss.
GO TIGERS!!!"

Okaaaaayyyy........