How vital it is that we beat the gamecocks....

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

After watching south carolina roll up 37 points against a good georgia defense and usc's qb garcia flinging the ball around I'm pretty nervous about us going into the game against em. It is so important that we beat usc next thursday for multiple reasons. First, we must start the conference schedule off on a good note. This is a very tough stretch for the rebs where they must go to usc and vandy back to back. If olemiss goes into usc and loses they would pummel in the rankings and may even be depressed going into vandy game. We have to get a good offensive tone going against se la and keep it going against usc. I am nervous anytime we go against Spurrier. I don't think our defense is going to allow the type of scoring that usc got against uga but for us to win that game our defense is going to have to be flawless because the gamecocks have one of the best defenses in the nation and points will be hard to come by. This is one of those games where i can care less howmany points we win by as long as we win. If we can somehow escape usc with a win we will have loads of confidence going into vandy. Again, its vital we arrive at the game against bama undefeated so if we lose to bama we will still have a sec record of 2-1.
REBEL13
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

We're the better team but we've still gotta win the turnover battle. We should've had wins vs USC and Vandy but we lost on turnovers.
I think Bama is the only team on schedule that we could win the TO's and still lose. We will have to be the better team to get the W. I think we will.
spudhog
3rd String
3rd String

Definitely don't need to be losing games to the East. USC is dangerous and will be a tough game on Thursday night. If the Rebels want to get to ATL, they can't be dropping games to USC or Vandy. In the SEC, you don't shoot for style points on the road. Just win and everything else will take care of itself.
LCW
Scout Team
Scout Team

I think for a boost to the team's confidence we need to take the Gamecocks fairly handily. By handily, by 14, if possible.
"Drink more, feel better." - Jimmy Buffett
felicianareb
2nd String
2nd String

Given that the goal is to get to Atlanta, and given the competition we're up against, every game (especially conference games) should be considered a must game. I think the winner of the west can only afford one loss at best this year, and maybe not even that. One loss would have prevented us from going to Atlanta last year. It's a tough climb...
jimbo_raley
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

1. Take care of SELU.
2. Get through this week injury free
3. Ignore the rankings.

2 & 3 easier said than done
"I'm an over 40 victim of fate" Jimmy Buffett
wpdrebel
Scout Team
Scout Team

Amen brother.
For evil to succeed, let good men do nothing.
done

I think you were asking how important is it that we beat them, not by how much...it may be the most important game of the year in my eyes. If we are to achieve any of the greatness that I believe is within our grasp just because of the circumstances of this year (with the lack of returning experienced QB's in the league and our skill players) we MUST beat SC and Vandy (if only by one point on the road)....to get this ball rolling.

And the keys will be turnovers and staying healthy.
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

Yeah I agree its completely vital that we beat usc because to have a chance and the confidence to get to atlanta we must start the conference season off with a bang and by beating usc. I think we can win if we have no turnovers and get alot of pressure on garcia to force him to throw before his receivers get into position. If we can do that and shut their run game down I see us winning because our offense is good enough that their going to score points and our defense is averaging a pick six a game right now so we should be okay. Man i'm excited imagine how great were all going to feel if we go into usc on a thurday (thats important cause usc is 6-3 on thursdays the last 5 years) and come out with a win! Then our excitement will sky rocket if we then go to vandy and beat them to move to 4-0. I seriously think that if we do that the game against bama could move either us or bama into the number 2 or maybe even top spot in the country!
Chucky_38
All American
All American

I think everyone needs to step back from the Atlanta expectations and just enjoy this ride. We are #5 and our next game is SELA. Lets focus on that and take it one week at a time. If we are in Atlanta in December thats great, but lets not get wrapped up in that now. It only takes away from the pleasure of the moment.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Chucky_38 wrote:I think everyone needs to step back from the Atlanta expectations and just enjoy this ride. We are #5 and our next game is SELA. Lets focus on that and take it one week at a time. If we are in Atlanta in December thats great, but lets not get wrapped up in that now. It only takes away from the pleasure of the moment.
Agreed!
We cant get to Atlanta by winning any single game right now. Take them one at a time, dont look at the schedule as a whole. One game at a time. We get *beep* at teams saying they look ahead and get beat, but how can we blame them? We give them the material, all they have to do is read it. Slow down...... Take a deep breath, sit back and enjoy the ride.. Lets start talking about sc Saturday night.
Also, lets get at least 2 games under our belts before we start talking about averages.
hottytoddyrebel
Scout Team
Scout Team

jrebel87 wrote:After watching south carolina roll up 37 points against a good georgia defense and usc's qb garcia flinging the ball around I'm pretty nervous about us going into the game against em. It is so important that we beat usc next thursday for multiple reasons. First, we must start the conference schedule off on a good note. This is a very tough stretch for the rebs where they must go to usc and vandy back to back. If olemiss goes into usc and loses they would pummel in the rankings and may even be depressed going into vandy game. We have to get a good offensive tone going against se la and keep it going against usc. I am nervous anytime we go against Spurrier. I don't think our defense is going to allow the type of scoring that usc got against uga but for us to win that game our defense is going to have to be flawless because the gamecocks have one of the best defenses in the nation and points will be hard to come by. This is one of those games where i can care less howmany points we win by as long as we win. If we can somehow escape usc with a win we will have loads of confidence going into vandy. Again, its vital we arrive at the game against bama undefeated so if we lose to bama we will still have a sec record of 2-1.
Georgia's defense isn't that good, they are not disciplined and often play out of position. They rely on raw talent to beat the opposition. Our defense won't have a problem.
don't question my knowledge
rebel556677
Scout Team
Scout Team

I am thinking that we just need to play SELA as if they were South Carolina and then play South Carolina like they were Florida. With that mindset we should be OK.
Just another day being better than State.
done

Chucky_38 wrote:I think everyone needs to step back from the Atlanta expectations and just enjoy this ride. We are #5 and our next game is SELA. Lets focus on that and take it one week at a time. If we are in Atlanta in December thats great, but lets not get wrapped up in that now. It only takes away from the pleasure of the moment.
I think that teams, organizations, and individuals that set goals are much more successful than those that don't. If those goals are unrealistic then they can be counterproductive. This goal is neither unrealistic or fool hearty. We are the 5th ranked team in the nation and we absolutely should be focused on winning a championship and understanding that to do that we must win the next game at hand. Champions can have big picture goals and still take care of immediate challenges. As a matter of fact that is exactly what Champions do. Our team leaders are experienced players and every play they make should be with Atlanta in mind so that they know if they let up against any opponent at any time, their dream could disappear. Winners do not deny the ultimate prize no matter what cliches they give to media, etc. Hell, I think the word Atlanta should be plastered on the walls of every practice, meeting and living facility of the team and all of the university and its fans.

I will be thinking about Atlanta and talking about Atlanta unless we are mathematically eliminated. I'll guaran-d***-tee you that Urban Meyer and Nick Saban are thinking AND talking about Atlanta and we should too.

The road to ATLANTA begins in Columbia, SC...the road to PASADENA makes stop #2 in Oxford Saturday night.

Those who are afraid to jump will never soar!
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebchuck18 wrote:
I think that teams, organizations, and individuals that set goals are much more successful than those that don't. If those goals are unrealistic then they can be counterproductive. This goal is neither unrealistic or fool hearty. We are the 5th ranked team in the nation and we absolutely should be focused on winning a championship and understanding that to do that we must win the next game at hand. Champions can have big picture goals and still take care of immediate challenges. As a matter of fact that is exactly what Champions do. Our team leaders are experienced players and every play they make should be with Atlanta in mind so that they know if they let up against any opponent at any time, their dream could disappear. Winners do not deny the ultimate prize no matter what cliches they give to media, etc. Hell, I think the word Atlanta should be plastered on the walls of every practice, meeting and living facility of the team and all of the university and its fans.

I will be thinking about Atlanta and talking about Atlanta unless we are mathematically eliminated. I'll guaran-d***-tee you that Urban Meyer and Nick Saban are thinking AND talking about Atlanta and we should too.

The road to ATLANTA begins in Columbia, SC...the road to PASADENA makes stop #2 in Oxford Saturday night.

Those who are afraid to jump will never soar!
They need to have you give this talk to the team b4 every game and at half time. Couldn't agree more. :)