Board Discussion: Top-10 Program?

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

Before we begin, I would like to say that I fully believe the Rebels are entering a new period of Ole Miss Football, one where we will consistently challenge for the SEC-W, and thus the SEC, crown. I also have no fear that we will win Thursday in Columbia, albeit in a game where we have some problems b/c of adjusting to more talented competition.

That said, My Topic: On several mesage boards I frequent there is sentiment by some that worrying about this game, or any other for that matter, denotes a mindset of 'Little Ole Miss' and not that of a Top-10/5 program. My question to you is this: Is Ole Miss a Top-10/5 PROGRAM?

My opinion is, unfortunately, no. Before you crush me for not being a real fan, hear me out. The Rebels are a Top-10/5 caliber TEAM this season, but to start considering ourselves a PROGRAM of that stature is a bit premature, and here is why (and this is just an opinion).

The term program to me suggests more than a year or two of results, whether good or bad. Thus, to be a Top-10/5 program, there has to be a sustained level of excellence, where the occasional 9-win season is a negative aberration and not looked at as a 'return to glory'. Top programs are those that are always considered a player for their respective conf titles and, accordingly so, in the hunt for the crystal ball. Ole Miss is not yet that type of PROGRAM, though we are possibly that type of TEAM.

Over the past few years, the college football world has seen teams come and go into to the Top-10. Would anyone on this board consider USF, or Rutgers, or even Mizzou, a Top 10/5 PROGRAM. The likely answer is no, however those teams, along with others, all made runs at the Top of the rankings, only to either peter out of find that sort of success hard to sustain year in and out.

Whether Ole Miss is a Top-10/5 PROGRAM will not, IMHO, be determined this season, though meeting the goals and expectations set forth by the fans, media, and the team itself will go a long way toward becoming one. The potential is there, and I would argue it always has been.

Your thoughts.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
P-nut
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

I don't think so............... But I hope so. :D

Marshay needs to start calling for a fair catch or not return punts, I certainly know that.

Also I'd put Patterson in at wideout before Summers.

Pass defense is scary too.

Which Jevan is gonna show up Thursday night?
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

agree with all of your points...
think great _top 10/5_ program are built on: consistently winning and competing in championships, not just having exceptional teams every few years (or in our case decades); also must have a stable coaching staff; consistently great recruiting classes ( not just talking the stars junk); sell out tkt/games on a regular basis; updating/upgrading the facilities to always be on the cutting edge; more OM merc on display/sold in the local MS stores (my parents house is in Columbus - easier to find Bamie/vol/aubie etc then OM); more/better radio network access across the state (again I dare U to find a clear/strong signal in Columbus)

If Nutt & crew build on last season ( will soon see), then continue to build next yr - then yep we are on our way.
RichmondVAReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

but I will state this: Ole Miss is a top 4 team right now because the nationally recognized polls say so, and that will remain true (at least to the extent of remaining in the top 10) as long as we continue to prove ourselves on the field.

Now, as for our being a top 10 program, I agree that it will take several years to build that type of reputation. But, with last year as our foundation, it won't take long to be a recognized annual SEC power if you add a successful year this year, followed by another great recruiting class, and continue in the following year or two to have the benefit of Coaches Nutt, Austin , Nix et. al. bringing along our offense and defense (including the great quarterbacks we have on hand right now and with a great Mackey coming in who is making quite a name for himself in the juco arena as I type).

Now, let me ask you a question? Why is that the msu followers are so virulent in their attitude toward us right now in particular in posting on our opposition boards their best wishes for the opposition and why Mullen has taken such a strong stance in so frequently referring to Ole Miss in questioning ways? Folks, he has seen the terror in their fans eyes as they contemplate what is going on in Oxford----they are terrified of our building a dynasty that it will take decades for them to recover from. That is what this year and the next couple of years is all about. The bullies refer to their dominance in in-state recruiting often on their message boards, but there is no question who will dominate if Ole Miss truly re-establishes itself where it belongs.

To me the future truly looks straight up without any detours, and even a single slip or two along the way won't ultimately derail us unless we let it do so. We are on a mission, and I believe our coaches see where the potential is leading us. I say onward and upward to our ultimate goal, and (heaven forbid that we lose a single game this year) don't let a single loss or even two deny us our rightful place in time. The other biggies in the SEC lose occasional games and don't let that derail them, and I believe we will follow the same path up if we lose a critical game or two this year.
Heath
All American
All American

Oh, we are not even close to a top 10 program. And, I think to become a top 10 program, one of two things will have to happen.

1.) Nutt (or whomever the coach is at the time) will have to get many players from out-of-state due to the academics in Mississippi, or...

2.) The education system in Mississippi will have to get much better so more of these Miss. boys can qualify to play. Which, I think Miss. has taken a step to help this by going to a 10-point grading scale, because this lowers the requirement for a qualifying ACT/SAT score.

AND,

We will have to consistently FINISH in the top 10 for, I would say, at least 5 years, if not more. But man, I hope it happens!!!
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Heath wrote:Oh, we are not even close to a top 10 program. And, I think to become a top 10 program, one of two things will have to happen.

1.) Nutt (or whomever the coach is at the time) will have to get many players from out-of-state due to the academics in Mississippi, or...

2.) The education system in Mississippi will have to get much better so more of these Miss. boys can qualify to play. Which, I think Miss. has taken a step to help this by going to a 10-point grading scale, because this lowers the requirement for a qualifying ACT/SAT score.

AND,

We will have to consistently FINISH in the top 10 for, I would say, at least 5 years, if not more. But man, I hope it happens!!!
Now that that is outrageous! Academics should be the most important item on the agenda in MS. The ONLY hope this state has is through better education. Sad. Sad. Sad.
:twisted:
------------------

I'm with you, BW. The dumbing down of academic standards just to cater to athletics makes me nauseous...and VERY angry. :x
done

Premature discussion...this season will determine whether we become a top 10 program, because I believe that recruiting success based upon winning is much more substantive than recruiting based upon personality.

All the supposed recruiting geniuses that have moved on from USC have not hurt USC's recruiting because USC consistently wins (albeit in an inferior conference) and is in the BCS picture and therefore is 3 deep in top notch talent. That is why this year is so important...if we drop the ball on the momentum that has been created, we may never have this opportunity to develop a top 10 program again. That is why Thursday is the biggest game in 50 years for Ole Miss...and why if we win, then Vandy will become the biggest game in 50 years and then we will get to the game that will determine our fate. We have this unnatural reverence of Alabama that keeps us from getting over the hump. We have gotten past that with LSU. We are not scared of LSU even though they often are actually more talented than Bama. If you watch teams that don't have that reverence for Bama and just attack them without being scared (Florida, Utah) then they not only win..they BEAT them down. When we get past that hump, we will progress into the program we need to be.

Bama is not that great...they are very good, but they are very beatable if we play them as a football team and not as almighty Bama.

I firmly believe that we are a top 10 team, but we have to prove it these next few weeks.

It starts Thursday....the ESPN promos for the game make the hairs on my arms stand up. I can not wait! I suspect that this team (offense in particular) has been holding back and will unleash a series of athletic grenades in the next few weeks culminating with a blitzkrieg in Oxford should we take care of business these next two weeks leading up to that game.
------------------

I think I just might need to puke a few times tomorrow...can't remember being this nervous about a game in a long time.
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

Sasquatch wrote:I think I just might need to puke a few times tomorrow...can't remember being this nervous about a game in a long time.
This is one of those games where I am confident we will pull it out, but still have shades of concern.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

I completely agree with your assessment that we are not yet a top ten program but yes I agree that at the least were becoming a program that will at least compete at the conference level every year. As far as being scared of bama, I'm not at all because look at the last 2 times bama came into oxford while we had a winning team (in 01 and 03) we beat em. If we have a good team we can beat alabama. As far as lsu goes we have never been scared of lsu. In fact olemiss has beatin lsu more times in baton rouge then anyone but alabama and tennessee. We have beatin lsu in baton rouge the past 4 out of 7 times. The only reason lsu has a twenty game lead in the series is they beat us the first 18 times we played them in the early 1900's. Since 1940 we have beatin them as many times as they have beatin us. I've said it before and I'll say it again....we must beat sc tomorrow to get the season off on a right note. I think if we play solid pass defense and open up the play book on offense then we will beat southcarolina. Its game time rebs go out there and prove you belong, thats all you have control over.
BigTrev34
All SEC
All SEC

If we put together a great year this year and the next and lock Nutt up, I believe we can be a top 25 program. It takes a lot to be top 10. We are a top 10 team, but not a top 10 program. We need to take it slowly and worry about this after 5 years of being ranked which will be difficult in the SEC. We do have a chance to be a very good program but one thing I know with Nutt is we will compete in every single game which is great with me.