Time for Ole Miss, S.C. to put up or shut up

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

'These are two programs with great potential and greater aspirations that season after season, decade after decade, coach after coach, rarely do much of anything. Yet there is reason to believe that they could be on the verge of something big, a breakthrough to better days and the cusp of a historic season....................
.....If Ole Miss is really a BCS contender, really a top-five team, really boasts a Heisman candidate in Jevan Snead at quarterback then it should walk into Williams-Brice Stadium and win. Top-five, national-title contending teams have been doing that forever................................These two programs have been two of the biggest teases for years.....................Not even Eli Manning could get Ole Miss to a divisional crown. Not even Lou Holtz or Spurrier has broken through for the Gamecocks....................One way or the other, one team or the other, someone is going to take a step to proving they’re worthy of the expectations. And someone is going to leave looking like the same old, same old program.

Full story here..

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/n ... &type=lgns
spudhog
3rd String
3rd String

bleuwolfe wrote:'These are two programs with great potential and greater aspirations that season after season, decade after decade, coach after coach, rarely do much of anything. Yet there is reason to believe that they could be on the verge of something big, a breakthrough to better days and the cusp of a historic season....................
.....If Ole Miss is really a BCS contender, really a top-five team, really boasts a Heisman candidate in Jevan Snead at quarterback then it should walk into Williams-Brice Stadium and win. Top-five, national-title contending teams have been doing that forever................................These two programs have been two of the biggest teases for years.....................Not even Eli Manning could get Ole Miss to a divisional crown. Not even Lou Holtz or Spurrier has broken through for the Gamecocks....................One way or the other, one team or the other, someone is going to take a step to proving they’re worthy of the expectations. And someone is going to leave looking like the same old, same old program.

Full story here..

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/n ... &type=lgns
Agree with you a lot. Think this is a make/break year for Spurrier at SC. This is his 5th season and they've yet to have a breakthrough year. It doesn't appear that this will be their season even with 2nd place in the East up for grabs. I don't think they have the team to have a breakthrough season but tonight could be a huge win for them.

OM is trying to validify the changes in their program. Last year, IMO, needs no more validity. OM beat UF, TT and LSU in the same season. It was a good season and well deserving of it's accolades. OM needs a big win to get this season jump started. Any road win on National TV in the SEC would be a big one. If OM plans on going where they want to go, this game is a must. Doesn't matter if OM's wins by 2 or 20, just win.

This is what makes the SEC so great. Every game has tremendous meaning and every game is vastly important to the teams and to the rest of the conference some how.
RichmondVAReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

I just feel that Ole Miss could lose this game, learn from the experience and then go on and win the West. If we do that, this year would be a fantastic year and would probably end up with our being in a BCS bowl
game. So, I just don't see this game as a "must" win. I do see it as a great opportunity for us to prove that we are for real to the whole nation, but we can do that later if we fail to do it tonight----it will just be a bit harder to get everyone's attention since we have that now, but it will come if we take care of business later.
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

RichmondVAReb wrote:I just feel that Ole Miss could lose this game, learn from the experience and then go on and win the West. If we do that, this year would be a fantastic year and would probably end up with our being in a BCS bowl
game. So, I just don't see this game as a "must" win. I do see it as a great opportunity for us to prove that we are for real to the whole nation, but we can do that later if we fail to do it tonight----it will just be a bit harder to get everyone's attention since we have that now, but it will come if we take care of business later.
Why wait? Let's just go ahead and do it now, boys. #4 teams are supposed to go on the road and come out with a W....let's just take care of business. Hotty Freakin' Toddy!!
spudhog
3rd String
3rd String

RichmondVAReb wrote:I just feel that Ole Miss could lose this game, learn from the experience and then go on and win the West. If we do that, this year would be a fantastic year and would probably end up with our being in a BCS bowl
Well, that could certainly still take place with a loss but not likely. OM loses to SC, not sure they run the table after that. Not because they don't have the talent and etc. Because the games against LSU, Auburn, and Bama would be that much more difficult.

Some teams play better when there's no tomorrow/margin of error. Think OM played better last season when they quit caring about certain outside factors and just played ball.
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

spudhog wrote:
Well, that could certainly still take place with a loss but not likely. OM loses to SC, not sure they run the table after that. Not because they don't have the talent and etc. Because the games against LSU, Auburn, and Bama would be that much more difficult.

Some teams play better when there's no tomorrow/margin of error. Think OM played better last season when they quit caring about certain outside factors and just played ball.
OM started playing better last season, when they realized that they could actually win a close game in the 4thQ, IF they protected the ball and stayed focused. After 3 yrs of losing - a lot of those games by 3 or so points, with a few HUGE blowouts - that was a difficult mind set to attain. Thank you Coach Nutt! Now they want to prove that it was not a fluke, so if we dont bring it home tonight the diamond will lose a lot of its sparkle, but I think they will do it. GO REBELS! :x
done

The momentum drop (and poll drop) would make it very difficult to achieve what is truly possible this year and what would set us up for long lasting success. And our confidence would drop as well. We haven't tasted defeat in 8 games....and winners in a streak find ways to win. If we are for real, we win this game.

This is in my view an absolute must win. And I love the fact that folks like Todd McShay and so many media blowhards think we can't and won't win this game.