Shep weighs in on TSWRA

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Nutt calls the formation the Wild Rebel. Which sure beats the heck out of Orgeron's Wild Boys.
----Calkins
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Love that guy.
Some Random Dude
done

He said all he needed to say with five words....

WE ARE BETTER THAN THAT!
ReservoirReb
3rd String
3rd String

Very well said. Couldn't agree more.
"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an
intolerable one." - Thomas Paine
Chucky_38
All American
All American

Great comments from one of our favorite sons.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
classof97
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

I'm still mixed on the subject. To me TSWRA has a different meaning that what is perceived. Of course I'm fed up with where our country is heading and think it's time for a major change. Unfortunately you can't erase the history of racial issues at Ole Miss, and some people are always going to look at us through that shallow closed minded perspective.

Has moving away from the Rebel Flag and Col Reb really helped recruiting like it was supposed to. What player came to Ole Miss because we don't have Col. Reb and the Confederate Flag. What players did we lose to LSU or BAMA back when we waved the Confederate Flag? The last Sugar Bowl victory at Ole Miss there was a confederate flag in every rebel fans hand.... same for our last National Championship. How many national championships have we won since we banned the confederate flag and Col. Reb. Ole Miss used to be a traditional powerhouse in football, and now most of our fans are content with 5 to 8 wins and the occasional bowl game. What happened to aiming for the Sugar Bowl?

I just feel now we're more concerned about perception of the University in the eyes of liberal morons that we are with winning. Nutt said you spell Fun... W-I-N, and I'm ready to say $crew the Yankees shallow perspective of our school and start having FUN!
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

not much of a life if waving a rebel flag and/or shouting "the south will rise again" is required to have fun. some of us can have loads of fun with neither.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

classof97 wrote:I'm still mixed on the subject. To me TSWRA has a different meaning that what is perceived. Of course I'm fed up with where our country is heading and think it's time for a major change. Unfortunately you can't erase the history of racial issues at Ole Miss, and some people are always going to look at us through that shallow closed minded perspective.

Has moving away from the Rebel Flag and Col Reb really helped recruiting like it was supposed to. What player came to Ole Miss because we don't have Col. Reb and the Confederate Flag. What players did we lose to LSU or BAMA back when we waved the Confederate Flag? The last Sugar Bowl victory at Ole Miss there was a confederate flag in every rebel fans hand.... same for our last National Championship. How many national championships have we won since we banned the confederate flag and Col. Reb. Ole Miss used to be a traditional powerhouse in football, and now most of our fans are content with 5 to 8 wins and the occasional bowl game. What happened to aiming for the Sugar Bowl?

I just feel now we're more concerned about perception of the University in the eyes of liberal morons that we are with winning. Nutt said you spell Fun... W-I-N, and I'm ready to say $crew the Yankees shallow perspective of our school and start having FUN!
To me it's simple. Are you willing to trade FDWL(a real Ole Miss tradition) for TSWRA? Whether it's right or wrong, I don't care. But I LOVE FDWL and I don't want to lose it.
Some Random Dude
1OLEMISSREBEL
All American
All American

I do not want to loose FDWL either. But I don not want to hear the student section yell..." to hell with LSU"...either
Even a bad day as a Rebel is better than a good day with the dawgs!!!!
classof97
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

JustBlues wrote:not much of a life if waving a rebel flag and/or shouting "the south will rise again" is required to have fun. some of us can have loads of fun with neither.
I'm just saying all the BS about being PC hasn't brought us any more Wins.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

classof97 wrote:
JustBlues wrote:not much of a life if waving a rebel flag and/or shouting "the south will rise again" is required to have fun. some of us can have loads of fun with neither.
IMO this has nothing to do with wins.
Some Random Dude
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

classof97 wrote:
First of all, unless you try it one way and then take a time machine back and try it the other way, you cannot say in the least about which way would give more wins, if either. Now, the real issue can be voiced in two questions: 1) what positive effect does the chant bring? and 2) are some offended by the chant? Since the chant does not bring any positive effect whatsoever, why continue it if someone is offended by it? The only reason to continue it is because you want to offend. Continuing it because you don't want someone to "force political correctness on you" is just your attempt at a politically correct way of saying that you want to offend others.
classof97
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

lewindha wrote:
classof97 wrote:
If it's not going to win us more games, why should I care?
done

classof97 wrote:
lewindha wrote:
classof97 wrote: I'm just saying all the BS about being PC hasn't brought us any more Wins.
If it's not going to win us more games, why should I care?
Because. at least to me, Ole Miss is about way more than football. It is a part of the fiber of my family's life.
classof97
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

lewindha wrote:
classof97 wrote:I'm still mixed on the subject. To me TSWRA has a different meaning that what is perceived. Of course I'm fed up with where our country is heading and think it's time for a major change. Unfortunately you can't erase the history of racial issues at Ole Miss, and some people are always going to look at us through that shallow closed minded perspective.

To me it's simple. Are you willing to trade FDWL(a real Ole Miss tradition) for TSWRA? Whether it's right or wrong, I don't care. But I LOVE FDWL and I don't want to lose it.
FDWL is not a real Ole Miss tradition. The band didn't start playing it until 2003 when we banned our traditional fight song, "Dixie". Do your research before posting.